Soulsville USA- The story of Stax Records

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
In just under two decades, Stax Records in Memphis, Tennessee, grew from a family-owned record store and studio to one of the most influential producers of soul music — launching the careers of Otis Redding, Isaac Hayes, Booker T. & The M.G.’s, and Sam & Dave, and more. Through archival performance footage and intimate interviews, STAX: Soulsville, U.S.A. chronicles the musicians, songwriters, and producers who smashed racial barriers and created the signature Stax sound that defined an era.

This is a phenomenal documentary. Extremely well done. Just watch the 1st episode and see if you are hooked. 2nd episode is even better. We just finished 3 (there are 4 total). This isn't just music history. It's American History. Must see TV. I thought I sort of knew the story. Not even close.

STAX: Soulsville U.S.A. | Official Trailer | HBO

I finished watching all four episodes yesterday. I agree with your assessment. This was a terrific documentary series.
I was a big Stax fan growing up and much of my vinyl collection consists of Stax/Volt material. I even have a letter Al Bell sent me in 1971, noting that they would "keep my resume on file should a position open up," lol. After college graduation, I had sent the company (and many others) my resume in a vain attempt to get a job in the record industry. In retrospect, I guess I'm lucky they didn't have a position at the time.
However, it definitely would have been cool to work for such an outstanding record label.

Marty, I watched that over the weekend and was going to tell you to watch it lol.
I love the music and the show was really well done.

I live in a suburb of Memphis , the onsite visit to Stax is pretty cool, as are visits to the Blues Museum, the Rock n Soul Musuem , Memphis Music Hall of Fame, and Sun Studio

I finished watching all four episodes yesterday. I agree with your assessment. This was a terrific documentary series.
I was a big Stax fan growing up and much of my vinyl collection consists of Stax/Volt material. I even have a letter Al Bell sent me in 1971, noting that they would "keep my resume on file should a position open up," lol. After college graduation, I had sent the company (and many others) my resume in a vain attempt to get a job in the record industry. In retrospect, I guess I'm lucky they didn't have a position at the time.
However, it definitely would have been cool to work for such an outstanding record label.
"Green Onions" was one of the first things I ever learned to play on the organ. One of the big revelations of the show was that I had no idea of the significance of the Lorraine Motel to Stax until the documentary made it clear.

"Green Onions" was one of the first things I ever learned to play on the organ. One of the big revelations of the show was that I had no idea of the significance of the Lorraine Motel to Stax until the documentary made it clear.
I have several books about Stax, including Rob Bowman's and the Lorraine Hotel was mentioned regularly. I know Eddie Floyd and Steve Cropper wrote numerous songs together there.

Attendend a concert a couple of years ago that featured Dave Mason and Steve Cropper at a small theater. Steve took time to discuss the songwriting and interactions he had with other artists at Stax. He mentioned many times meeting at the Lorraine Hotel at all hours to capture inspiration to paper. It was a great show and I will be watching the STAX:Soulsville, U.S.A. documentary this weekend.

Just finished watching it. Very much worth the viewing time.

Reactions: drrsutliff
Its a shame we can't get it in the UK yet.

Just finished the 4 part documentary. If this doesn't win an Emmy, I will be shocked. What an incredible story.
I finished watching it last night. Just shake my head when I think about what could have been for music lovers, musicians, the Black community and Memphis had the corporate folks at CBS had not sought to destroy Stax. The heart, spirit, soul and tenacity deserves an Emmy and the respect they earned long ago.

Reactions: facten and Holli82
What a series!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing