The Golden Age of Records

Sparky, what i am talking about when I refer to dynamics is the relationship between soft and loud and in the speakers ability to portray impact. IMO, stats are limited in this area due to the fact that almost all of them are panel speakers. They cannot push much air due to their design. Which is why you have resorted to crossing over to subs. ( which are dynamic speakers). My experience in the past was that I could always hear the x-over between the panels and the subs.
I was concerned about this same problem with my SF's, which BTW have many of the attributes of a good stat. You are correct when you say that the GH's do not drop very low into the bass regions. I recently added a REL to the mix and while it was very difficult to make invisible in the mix, I am now pleased with it.
BTW, I agree with you, Acoustats are a major pain to get to sound good, I never could get mine to sound great, which is why I sold them.
At the time I was using either a Krell KSA 100, or for a while a Melos tube amp ( don't remember which one, BUT it was not terribly reliable)
Also, when I talk about warmth vs. neutral sound in gear, I am of the opinion that NO gear today is completely neutral....it either falls on the warmth side or the sterile/cold side of the line. IMHO, we do NOT have the ability yet to reproduce a truly neutral sound( which again, IMHO would be akin to the "Absolute Sound":))
Our ARC amps (yours and mine) are IMO very much on the warm side of the line, an antithesis to the sterile and cold sound of the Halcro that I had mentioned earlier. I am of the opinion that most of the more appreciated amps on the market today fall towards the warm side of the line..SET's and their ilk being a perfect example.:D

HI Davy,
Rather than stressing this thread and pushing it even further off subject, I'm going to PM you where we can discuss this. I do think we have a lot to discuss.

Sparky

Sparky, what i am talking about when I refer to dynamics is the relationship between soft and loud and in the speakers ability to portray impact. IMO, stats are limited in this area due to the fact that almost all of them are panel speakers. They cannot push much air due to their design. Which is why you have resorted to crossing over to subs. ( which are dynamic speakers). My experience in the past was that I could always hear the x-over between the panels and the subs.
Davey, you really should find your way up here to my place in Long Beach.;)

Ken

Ken, Thanks for the invite. I would love to take you up on the invite, once the 'better half' gives her blessing..;)

BTW, you are welcome to come on down to La Jolla to hear my system. :)

Ken, Thanks for the invite. I would love to take you up on the invite, once the 'better half' gives her blessing..;)

BTW, you are welcome to come on down to La Jolla to hear my system. :)

You need your wife's permission to drive to Long Beach? I'm revoking your man card right now.:p

Mark, LOL it doesn't sound like you are a married man, or if so, then not married for that long....you'll learn:D

Uh Davey, I'm currently doing 32-life with the only woman I have ever been married to.

HI Myles,
I was expressing my contempt for this type sound (Beatles) even entering this discussion. As for the other Capitol recordings, I'm not familiar with them and they have not been brought up before.

I have a Nat Cole CD set that is astonishing. None of the recordings are vintage yet they cover his his entire recording career. They were all re-recorded specifically for the LP release and then re-released on CD. Amazingly good and they are all orchestrated per the original recordings. Great stuff. They were done a couple of years before he died. He was still in prime form. Released on Capitol it is a two disk set. Can you imagine all of his old work in the 78 days but with excellent modern sound. This is a set to have if it's still available. It's called the "Nat King Cole Story". Excellent!!

Added: The Nat Cole CD is still available, I just checked on Amazon. The recordings were made in 1961. I realize that CD's are not part of this discussion but the vinyl versions were in the GA era. And even on CD's they sound like it. Terrific stuff!! I would love to find the LP version.

An Additional Add: After several frustrated searches over the years for the LP, I decided to try again. Guess what? I found a mint condition copy LP. It's not cheap but these type of things never are. I bought it for 74.95. That works out at about $25 per record. Could be worse. It's three LP's in the set. I'm so excited I could pee!!! Now, you all should get off your ass and order the CD set if you are Nat Cole fans. Immediately!!! Remember, it's from the GA which means good.

Sparky

Chad also recently reissued the NKK recordings on LP/SACD :) What a voice! Just too bad they had to add all that echo that was popular back then.

HI Myles,
The Nat King Cole Story does not seem to reveal any reverb. If it's there it is subtle.

Sparky

Are you referring to the CD or LP version?

HI Myles,
At this moment I only have the CD which was supposedly mastered from the LP. So, I can only talk about the CD directly. I have never heard the LP. I hope that will shortly change.

Sparky

HI Myles,
At this moment I only have the CD which was supposedly mastered from the LP. So, I can only talk about the CD directly. I have never heard the LP. I hope that will shortly change.

Sparky

Thing is many of these "pop" as well as jazz recordings were recorded "dry" and reverb/echo was added later. People like Steve Hoffman when they remastered these recordings, decided to add judicious levels of reverb back rather than say the originals where the singer was swimming in reverb. So they may have chosen to give you the dry version on the CD (or they didn't know better?). Don't know but if you get the LP, let us know.

HI All,
A Nat Cole update. I received an email this morning that The Nat King Cole Story is out of stock but not removed from the catalog. I think this was an honest mistake. Drat!! Money was refunded.

However, I found another copy on ebay and bought it. Hopefully, it will come through. I'll let you know.

Sparky

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu