The new audiophile vinyl series The Original Source from Deutsche Grammophon (AAA)

^What is the inner radius on that? 56 mm?

I have never seen a record cut with such few inner groove.
I don't think that I have seen anything quite like that either!

I understand that Sidney Claire Meyer at Emil Berliner Studios has taken great care in the cutting process, but I still have to wonder.... was there any signs of inner groove distortion with such a narrow lead out on this record?

I'm hoping that mine will arrive soon :)

Best wishes,
Don

Last edited:
I don't think that I have seen anything quite like that either!

I understand that Sidney Claire Meyer at Emil Berliner Studios has taken great care in the cutting process, but I still have to wonder.... was there any signs of inner groove distortion with such a narrow lead out on this record?

I'm hoping that mine will arrive today :)

Best wishes,
Don
Hello Don, I heard small signs of inner groove distortion. But not more than on any other classical recordings on vinyl.
My tonearm is 9“ long, maybe there will be less (or no) distortion with a12“.

kind regards Michael

Reactions: No Regrets
Hello Don, I heard small signs of inner groove distortion. But not more than on any other classical recordings on vinyl.
My tonearm is 9“ long, maybe there will be less (or no) distortion with a12“.

kind regards Michael
Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply!

My tone arm is 11.42" long with an effective length of 9.055". When I saw the photo of the very short lead out that you had posted earlier, that was my first concern that came to my mind. I guess we'll find out when the record finally arrives.

Best wishes,
Don

Last edited:
Got the Verdi, Debussy and Brahms this week.

Listening to Brahms piano concerto no 1. More relaxed tempo than some others I like. Stunning sound, lots of grit in the strings, bite in the brass and hall ambience. I can hear more of the piano- how it sings and sustains.

So glad they released these pressings.

Gotta wonder why they weren’t done this way the initial release back in the 1970’s?

Last edited:
^IGD is not a matter of tonearm length. It’s a matter of needle shape (get a MicroLine/microridge/SAS) and choice of tonearm nulls. Weirdly enough it’s more difficult to achieve low geometric distortion across the record with a 12” arm than with a 9” even if a long arm in theory is of course better than a shorter one.

^IGD is not a matter of tonearm length. It’s a matter of needle shape (get a MicroLine/microridge/SAS) and choice of tonearm nulls. Weirdly enough it’s more difficult to achieve low geometric distortion across the record with a 12” arm than with a 9” even if a long arm in theory is of course better than a shorter one.
Hi Kjetil,

This is interesting information. My cartridge uses a microridge stylus so I'll be curious to see if I notice any IGD when I receive my copy.

Best wishes,
Don

Reactions: Kjetil
EUREKA!

Have you ever experienced something like this....? You might have a dress suit that you typically only wear to certain occasions, like a wedding or a funeral. It might be months in-between wearing this suit. Today is the day you need to wear it again.... you put it on, you slide you hand into one of the pockets and low and behold, you have a wad of cash sitting in there from the last time you had worn it, in which you had completely forgotten it was ever in there! Eureka, it can feel like you just stroke GOLD!

I just had a similar experience today! I have suffered several major strokes, and one of the many deficits that I am challenged with as a result is a very poor memory. Today, I was looking for something special in my house. Something that I hadn't used or seen for many years, but I know it is somewhere in my house. I looked high and low, everywhere. I even went into storage areas (where I am a little embarrassed to say that we still have boxes and containers of things that we have never unpacked from when we had moved into this current house and we've been here for roughly 18 years :eek:) and still could not find the special item that I was searching for.

I haven't been in these storage areas for years... but, today it was like putting on that suit and reaching into the pockets! EUREKA! I STRUCK GOLD!
I found 4 Large Rubbermaid Totes filled with pristine, NM original pressings from the likes of Shaded Dogs, Londons, Decca's, Phillips, Columbias, Verve, Riverside, etc! I have several hundred NM records "in my music room" that are in my normal rotation, but I had completely forgotten about all of these other lp's that had never gotten unpacked from our last move.

What does this have to do with The Original Source Series??? Well, today my Schubert "Trout" Original Source arrived via Amazon (I wasn't impressed at all with their shipping packaging this time around, by the way). Also, as I was thumbing thru the "treasure find" from this afternoon, I happened to find an original 1st pressing Living Stereo Shaded Dog from 1962 of the Schubert "Trout", but it was performed by different musicians.

So, I was very excited to be able to hear both of these recordings tonight and to share my excitement with you all!
All I can really say is that as nice as the Shaded Dog recording is, I truly enjoyed The Original Source pressing much, much more!
The Original Source Series seems to carry through with the same DNA from record to record, at least from what I have experienced with the hand full that I have received.

* TRANSPERENCY - Forget about looking thru a freshly washed window... the window is wide open!
* DYNAMICS - This one isn't as explosive like the others have been, but the sense of attack on the strings and keys are notable.
* TONE - The stringed instruments sound very clear with nice tone, as does the piano!
* QUIET VINYL - All of the records I've received so far have been quiet, flat, and centered!

So, "IF" you enjoy this kind of music. I think you'll find this to be a nice little nugget to add to "Your" Pot of Gold. ;)

Best wishes,
Don

Last edited:
EUREKA!

Have you ever experienced something like this....? You might have a dress suit that you typically only wear to certain occasions, like a wedding or a funeral. It might be months in-between wearing this suit. Today is the day you need to wear it again.... you put it on, you slide you hand into one of the pockets and low and behold, you have a wad of cash sitting in there from the last time you had worn it, in which you had completely forgotten it was ever in there! Eureka, it can feel like you just stroke GOLD!

I just had a similar experience today! I have suffered several major strokes, and one of the many deficits that I am challenged with as a result is a very poor memory. Today, I was looking for something special in my house. Something that I hadn't used or seen for many years, but I know it is somewhere in my house. I looked high and low, everywhere. I even went into storage areas (where I am a little embarrassed to say that we still have boxes and containers of things that we have never unpacked from when we had moved into this current house and we've been here for roughly 18 years :eek:) and still could not find the special item that I was searching for.

I haven't been in these storage areas for years... but, today it was like putting on that suit and reaching into the pockets! EUREKA! I STRUCK GOLD!
I found 4 Large Rubbermaid Totes filled with pristine, NM original pressings from the likes of Shaded Dogs, Londons, Decca's, Phillips, Columbias, Verve, Riverside, etc! I have several hundred records "in my music room" that are in my normal rotation, but I had completely forgotten about all of these other lp's that had never gotten unpacked from our last move.

What does this have to do with The Original Source Series??? Well, today my Schubert "Trout" Original Source arrived via Amazon (I wasn't impressed at all with their shipping packaging this time around, by the way). Also, as I was thumbing thru the "treasure find" from this afternoon, I happened to find an original 1st pressing Living Stereo Shaded Dog from 1962 of the Schubert "Trout", but it was performed by different musicians.

So, I was very excited to be able to hear both of these recordings tonight and to share my excitement with you all!
All I can really say is that as nice as the Shaded Dog recording is, I truly enjoyed The Original Source pressing much, much more!
The Original Source Series seems to carry through with the same DNA from record to record, at least from what I have experienced with the hand full that I have received.

* TRANSPERENCY - Forget about looking thru a freshly washed window... the window is wide open!
* DYNAMICS - This one isn't as explosive like the others have been, but the sense of attack on the strings and keys are notable.
* TONE - The stringed instruments sound very clear with nice tone, as does the piano!
* QUIET VINYL - All of the records I've received so far have been quiet, flat, and centered!

So, "IF" you enjoy this kind of music. I think you'll find this to be a nice little nugget to add to "Your" Pot of Gold.

Best wishes,
Don
How brilliant Don, that is pure gold.. so very cool!

Reactions: No Regrets
Thank you everyone for your beautiful wishes. My son surely enjoys music already. He seems to enjoy Bach most from classical composers. He loves it when I play James Brown and dance with him in my lap and also prefers Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works for going into sleep. According to my wife ,he enjoys white noise or white noise like (ocean, forest, lots of crickets at our garden) sound tracks though, the rest maybe my imagination or my reflection on him :) But still, a variety of music and sounds. What is more interesting is his change of attitude when listening to live piano at our main room, it creates a wholly different effect on him. It is a different attitude then listening music from speakers. However, I have not yet taken him to my listening room (large horns) or the main room (klipschorns) second system. He is mostly listening through Genelec monitors connected to my lap top. I can not wait to take him to listening to live orchestral music but there are some years for him to be able to learn to behave at a concert hall yet...

Sorry for a little off topic. Tomorrow my wife will leave with our baby to her mother and sister for 3 days. I will listen to the records (and a lot more records waiting for me to unseal and give a spin) and let you know how I feel about them.

Weirdly enough it’s more difficult to achieve low geometric distortion across the record with a 12” arm than with a 9” even if a long arm in theory is of course better than a shorter one.
Perhaps 10.5” for the win :)

Something like that or maybe just enjoy the music.

As I have a 38 days old son now, I am not able to play the records and review them :) I am really missing out on this beautiful thread I started. So happy, it is about the music. Please keep on going, I will surely join very soon.
Congratulations.

Reactions: kodomo
it's probably the best thing that happened to classical music\audiophile in the last years.
those reissues triple A's from EBS and DG are just AMZING in almost every aspect.
i already have 6 of them and waiting for the Abbado to complete the 7 that are out there. definitely will buy the rest of the releases.
this is a real "diamond" (forget gold :) ) of LP's. I don't recall this level of excitement since the "living stereo" start to came out way back...

kudos to all that got this job done and for the rest of you guys keep talking on it and music in general.
this is far more important then the "latest" r2r chip or what ever :p

I emailed to Deutsche Grammophon last week asking if they would send me my batch two copies now instead of waiting until batch 3 comes out end of September, as I mistakenly bought batch two and three together as one order.

I also bought a few days later one of the LPs (Mozart Symphonies 25 & 27) in batch 3 that came back on sale that was sold out when I bought batch 2 & 3 together a few days before i.e. paying for the shipment of only one LP which was the same shipping cost as buying batch 2 & 3 together minus the one LP i.e. 6 LPs).

Deutsche Grammophon replied via email next day saying that they couldn't take on my request with shipping my batch 2 now (even though I have paid for two shipping costs for batches 2 and 3 as explained above ! )

Terrible customer service, even though I have bought all three batches from them to date (12 LPs in total with a total cost of 530.89 euros excl. 3 x 17.45 euros shipping costs) !

Has anybody else had the same experience or has Deutsche Grammophon full-filled your request ?

In the meantime, I listened again (third listening session) to the first batch of 4 LPs. Fantastic quality and sound, which in a way makes it worse having to wait till end of Sept for batch 2 !

Yes, I've also experienced poor customer service from DG and therefore decided to buy the series from Amazon.
No issues since then, everything arrives on time and in high quality packaging.

Yes, I've also experienced poor customer service from DG and therefore decided to buy the series from Amazon.
No issues since then, everything arrives on time and in high quality packaging.
The reason I didn't go the Amazon route Is I was assuming all of the batches would be sold out from people ordering direct from the Deutsche Grammophon website before they had chance to ship any to Amazon to sell on !

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu