The new audiophile vinyl series The Original Source from Deutsche Grammophon (AAA)

I have just finished listening to Debussy/Ravel LP with Abbado and BSO. What joy! Very well performed, beautifully recorded. Open but full tone, very nice balance of hall, I certainly enjoyed it and wholeheartedly recommend it.

I have a sweet spot in my heart for Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe and this interpretation was a great addition to what I have. Beautiful rendering of the piece.

Of the "Original Source" records still available at DG's online shop the two recordings which are of the greatest interest to me are the two below. In the annals of recorded history, these are two standout recordings of the respective pieces of music.

1693140900467.png1693140925696.png

Reactions: Kjetil
Of the "Original Source" records still available at DG's online shop the two recordings which are of the greatest interest to me are the two below. In the annals of recorded history, these are two standout recordings of the respective pieces of music.

View attachment 115707View attachment 115708

Why would the Ozawa be famous in history compared to the Cluytens (can sell for 2k), Klemperer, Argenta, and Silvestri all non DGG can be bought now)?

the Kubelik Ma Vlast that is famous is on decca and is with VPO and a different performance

Why would the Ozawa be famous in history compared to the Cluytens (can sell for 2k), Klemperer, Argenta, and Silvestri all non DGG can be bought now)?

the Kubelik Ma Vlast that is famous is on decca and is with VPO and a different performance
I started off my post with "of the original source recording still available...", I was not speaking in the entirety of all recordings out there, and the term standout was not meant to connote, infer or imply standalone, that the recordings listed are the absolute best, but rather the ones of the remaining DG Source inventory in which my "humble" opinion are the most attractive for their content and performance of such

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75
Love this thread!

I just listened to a couple releases from this series for the first time yesterday. I was VERY impressed.

Great time to be an audiophile!

The new Verdi/Requiem is sounding splendid. Its testing my cartridge setup to the max. But space and thunderous dynamics are the order of the day. Indeed, the whole series so far is just stellar.

The new Verdi/Requiem is sounding splendid. Its testing my cartridge setup to the max. But space and thunderous dynamics are the order of the day. Indeed, the whole series so far is just stellar.
I have just listened to it and it is splendid! Great recording, great performance. It was thrilling to listen to.

I'm just getting some tracking issues meaning some peaks are a little harsh and distorted, I'm assuming that's my set up.

Could you point to where? You may not be alone.
IMG_4273.jpeg
I’ve tried to find a problem area but no such (un)luck.

The AT33PTG/II (and my other cartridges) are aimed at nulls at 61.6 and 118.4 mm. Korf 13 g headshell and Bokrand AS-230 (on a Thorens TD 125 Mk. II which shouldn’t matter).

Last edited:
Reactions: No Regrets
I did not have any mistracking or distortion. However, I really have adjusted the cartridge finely. I love d2d records and they can be very dynamic, unless you have very good setup, they prone to distort with loud passages.

I use Loefgren B set up with AM v2 on a Kuzma 4 point with Miyabi Fuuga

I did not have any mistracking or distortion. However, I really have adjusted the cartridge finely. I love d2d records and they can be very dynamic, unless you have very good setup, they prone to distort with loud passages.

I can only imagine how thrilling the Requiem sounded on your massive custom horns :cool:

Reactions: kodomo
Could you point to where? You may not be alone.
View attachment 115716
I’ve tried to find a problem area but no such (un)luck.

The AT33PTG/II (and my other cartridges) are aimed at nulls at 61.6 and 118.4 mm. Korf 13 g headshell and Bokrand AS-230 (on a Thorens TD 125 Mk. II which shouldn’t matter).
Ha...I run an air bearing linear tracker, so can't help. But LP1 has really been a torture test for my front end. I'm getting there, just not "quite" there.

Reactions: Kjetil

Its an issue for me.

I'm just getting some tracking issues meaning some peaks are a little harsh and distorted, I'm assuming that's my set up.
I did notice that side one with full orchestra, full chorus and then the fortissimo soloist is a challenge to play back at high volume. I heard a couple passages right on the edge of some distortion.

The pressing is "hot" meaning it can generate high output level from the cartridge. I have also found that loud volume human voice (choir) or soloists on a sustained note can be difficult for high volume playback. Any compression or overload on the recording or in the pressing (LP) will be apparent. Any cartridge tracking problems or geometry compromises will also be apparent. And any distortion in amp or speakers will be apparent.

That's why I listened again with my speakers biamped (and the volume a little lower).

I did notice that side one with full orchestra, full chorus and then the fortissimo soloist is a challenge to play back at high volume. I heard a couple passages right on the edge of some distortion.

The pressing is "hot" meaning it can generate high output level from the cartridge. I have also found that loud volume human voice (choir) or soloists on a sustained note can be difficult for high volume playback. Any compression or overload on the recording or in the pressing (LP) will be apparent. Any cartridge tracking problems or geometry compromises will also be apparent. And any distortion in amp or speakers will be apparent.

That's why I listened again with my speakers biamped (and the volume a little lower).
I have found (thankfully) that my system has tracked this album, as well as the others very well, but yes, I agree that it seems that all of the records that I have purchased from this series is recorded very "Hot" (as right up to the limit) and I have even mentioned this in some of my previous posts. I routinely have to have my both my left and right volume controls on my dual mono preamp turned down two notches compared to most of my other recordings.

I know they are trying to capture the dynamics as much as possible, but I wish they wouldn't press these records so "hot". Is there really a need for that? I don't know... just posing the question. I can only imagine that if a person's cartridge is set up spot on ( which may happen more often than not), or they don't have enough headroom in their phono stage, pre and power amp that they may experience some sort of distortion that will diminish the enjoyment of their listening session.

Still, with all that being said, I have still enjoyed the records that I've purchased so far and I will continue to order some from the next batch as they hopefully become available thru my normal online retailers.

Best wishes to all,
Don

Reactions: Rensselaer
Two words for the Verdi...
Rollercoaster.
Ride.

I've spent a couple of hours fettling and re-fettling my front end set up.
Will try LP2 tmrw.

When it's motoring, I don't think I've had such unfettered dynamics off any other LP before. But I'd love to keep the train on the tracks, and not threaten to carreer off the rails.

The hotter the cut the larger the dynamics.
Maybe the TOS series will get Audio- Technica to make MCs that track more than 90 um at 1.5 g again like the AT-OC10 did. That said: No problems in my setup. My modest (in price, not measured performance) Cambridge Alva Duo Phono amp has headroom aplenty and the ADC in the little Yamaha WXC-50 that follows does not clip.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu