The new audiophile vinyl series The Original Source from Deutsche Grammophon (AAA)

The opera house in Oslo is also good for a walk. Or a picnic. It's a people's structure, also for those who don't have the ears for what's going on inside.

9694cbb9-e490-42e8-b1cb-090920a03770-w_960.jpg

I came to think of all the music I'd never hear if it wasn't for records, these latest re-releases from DG included.

Last edited:
The opera house in Oslo is also good for a walk. Or a picnic. It's a people's structure, also for those who don't have the ear for what's going on inside.

I came to think of all the music I'd never hear if it wasn't for records, these latest re-releases from DG included.
I looked up some photos and found I got to hear the Gothenburg Symphony, Santtu-Matias Rouvali and Helene Grimaud doing Rosenkavalier, Beethoven PC 4 and Sibelius 1, as well as the Oslo Opera doing Lucia.

The same hall 2 nights running. I did the backstage tour and apparently they can do the acoustic transformation in about an hour, so they can rehearse an opera in the afternoon and put on an concert or ballet in the evening.

I saw you have Crystal Pite: Light of Passage coming your way soon. She was commissioned to do a one-act piece for the Royal Ballet, it was called Flight Path, done to the first movement of Gorecki's 3rd symphony. It was such a success she was asked to expand it for the whole symphony, and it was a complete triumph.
Norway 01027.jpg
Norway 01130.jpg

The opera house in Oslo is also good for a walk. Or a picnic. It's a people's structure, also for those who don't have the ear for what's going on inside.

I remember that in Oslo you have options - listen to music or go for a swim.
Norway 01124.jpg

same Norwegian architects as new library in Alexandria, Egypt
View attachment 119241
Olafur Eliason did parts of the Oslo interior. He did this one in his home town, the sound is simply electric. The hall is encased in a reverberation chamber which can be adjusted from 0.6 to 2.3 seconds, and then the whole thing is encased in the outer skin of the building. The black wall is the outer side of the concert hall wall. I've never heard better sound anywhere, and it was a great concert (Kalevi Aho and Bruckner - been to a few here).

I appreciate that Boston Symphony Hall is the first hall designed based on acoustic science, but now it can be taken to another level. The genius of Oslo is how it is acoustically multi-use.
Iceland 2017 11652 2.jpgIceland 2017 11641.jpgIceland 2017 11644.jpgIceland 2017 11647.jpg

Unfortunately, with both copies of my Berlioz, this was not the case. They both came with visible scratches that won't be cleaned away with any machine :(

Fingers crossed that when my 3rd copy comes, it will be scratch-free.
Hallelujah! I guess the third try was the charm, after all ;)
After receiving two copies of the Berlioz that came with scratches from the pressing plant/packaging, my third copy arrived scratch free :)

What a fantastic sounding recording this is... Bravo!!!
Rich string tones throughout!
And how about the percussion section on side two!!!
And let's not forget about the brass section on side two!!!
Full bodied, full range and dynamic sound!
Both the micro and macro dynamics are very impressive!
Great hall acoustics with an enveloping sound stage!
Quiet and flat vinyl!
Excellent performance!
What more could one ask for???

And the other pleasant surprise that I noticed.... I feel like when mastering "this" recording, that they didn't push it to the absolute limits this time. With some of the other recordings I feel that they pushed it right up to the maximum dynamic limits... right up near to the ultimate breaking point... which in my opinion can almost create a feeling of nervousness or feeling on edge to a degree. My system system tracked those records just fine and my amps/speakers handled it just fine... but it's just a feeling.

With the Berlioz, I think they did a masterful job capturing the rich string tones, the impressive brass and percussion sections, the dynamic swings, etc all while "not" pushing it to the ultimate limits and therefore I feel it allowed me to just sink into the music and feel immersed in the waves of rich sounds and reverberant hall acoustics... all the while, still being a breathtakingly wonderful experience. Extremely enjoyable and I feel that Sidney and the team at EBS should feel very proud of what they accomplished with this recording, Kudos!!! :cool:

I am thoroughly enjoying this record and am excited to have this record in my collection along with all of the previous ones that I have bought from The Original Source Series!

Best wishes to all,
Don

Not bad for post number six hundred and sixty six in this thread!

Well, this is my first disaster from DG TOS, and it’s a nasty one. Imagine putting your stylus down on this:

C4366FC8-4221-4D20-8DC7-08CB3EBF2D63.jpeg

That’s the lead-in groove area to the Debussy / Ravel record. It came from Amazon, bought New, and when it did arrive I noticed it shipped from Japan. Fortunately a Prime purchase, so back it goes to Amazon.

Well, this is my first disaster from DG TOS, and it’s a nasty one. Imagine putting your stylus down on this:

View attachment 119580

That’s the lead-in groove area to the Debussy / Ravel record. It came from Amazon, bought New, and when it did arrive I noticed it shipped from Japan. Fortunately a Prime purchase, so back it goes to Amazon.
That looks horrible.

From memory, the DGG vinyl I've bought in recent years is the Icelandic pianist Vikingur I can't spell the rest, Max Richter, Johann Johansson and Anoushka Shankar. Never had any problems. What's going on with all these issues?

That looks horrible.

From memory, the DGG vinyl I've bought in recent years is the Icelandic pianist Vikingur I can't spell the rest, Max Richter, Johann Johansson and Anoushka Shankar. Never had any problems. What's going on with all these issues?
This is my first dud in about 8 or 9 of TOS purchases. I guess the sleeving inspector sneezed when this one came by.

Reactions: No Regrets
Uh. This is at Optimal. They have QC glitches, that’s for sure.

• Sad
Received an email today from Presto Music. It said they could not fulfill my Steinberg order and bla bla bla.
At the same time I see that DG has jacked the price to €135.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Well, this is my first disaster from DG TOS, and it’s a nasty one. Imagine putting your stylus down on this
Wowza, that is horrible!
I recently had to go thru 3 copies of the Berlioz before I finally received one that didn't have scratches on it. However, as you had said, none of the several other TOS that I have received had these problems.... but nonetheless, there seems to be a QC issue happening there :(

Best wishes,
Don

Wowza, that is horrible!
I recently had to go thru 3 copies of the Berlioz before I finally received one that didn't have scratches on it. However, as you had said, none of the several other TOS that I have received had these problems.... but nonetheless, there seems to be a QC issue happening there :(

Best wishes,
Don
Thanks Don. I could just see the entire cantilever getting pulled out of the cart if it were to have hit that lead-in. I tracked down a new copy on Discogs. More money of course, but couldn’t find one via retail.

I tracked down a new copy on Discogs.
Hopefully your new copy arrives without defect.

I truly believe the number of records with defects sneaking thru are very limited in number... but that certainly doesn't mitigate the disappointment of the customer receiving it :(. Not to mention, because the TOS series is limited edition, it then makes it increasingly difficult to find another new copy without having to pay an inflated price for it, due to being out of print now.

Also, I would think that with the TOS series being a limited number of production run, that they would spend extra time with their QC efforts.

Best wishes,
Don

Last edited:
Reactions: tony22
I have been able to source the Steinberg triple from Danish VOEC compliant shop iMusic. NOK 1929 including 25% Norwegian sales tax/VAT is rather steep, but it would have ended up even more expensive from the DG shop.

Last edited:
Hopefully your new copy arrives without defect.

I truly believe the number of records with defects sneaking thru are very limited in number... but that certainly doesn't mitigate the disappointment of the customer receiving it :(. Not to mention, because the TOS series is limited edition, it then makes it increasingly difficult to find another new copy without having to pay an inflated price for it, due to being out of print now.

Also, I would think that with the TOS series being a limited number of production run, that they would spend extra time with their QC efforts.

Best wishes,
Don
Got my replacement copy today. Bought it off Discogs. Low number (02xx), vinyl is pristine looking, but the upper right of the cover has a pretty bad crease. I knew that going in, though - the seller was upfront about it. It brought the price down to only a little more than what a new retail copy cost, and it got me a low production number. I can live with a creased cover.

"Never judge a record collector by his cover"

Thanks,
well, despite the "mark-up" a seller from Poland offers a better deal, as an import from the US (As mentioned: Cost of Shipment from overseas is more than the record.)
Now I hope, I get my "VERDI" after all, AND it is new indeed ..!!

Regards
Urs
Im exceedingly happy to report, that my "VERDI" arrived in pristine condition
Sound quality (I've not not yet done a really detailed review) : Just perfect !

Regards
Urs

...Now I'm awaiting further new "TOS" records to be released in the future....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu