The new audiophile vinyl series The Original Source from Deutsche Grammophon (AAA)

oeno

Jun 7, 2014
Unfortunately, neither Acoustic Sounds nor Music Direct have all 11 albums available. They don't even have all 7 from the upcoming September release... so as much as I would love to find an alternative to DG.com, I don't see one... if you're interested in the full set, that is.
There are also available through Amazon and Target (!). I bought the first set direct from DG (minus the Schubert). They arrived last week here in northern Ca. Haven't listened yet as I want to clean first. The Beethoven and Stravinsky were admirably flat, but the Mahler 5s were warped. A session in the Orb flattener took care of that.

You might also want to check out this thread on the DG releases: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/dg-classics-aaa-reissues.819541/page-36

Reactions: Solypsa

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Other stuff I will wait keenly for DGG to release on Original Source

- I have the Joan Field on Telefunken which I prefer but the OS series might be good for this. This Morini, along with the earlier mentioned Fricsay stuff.

- I have the Rosty Richter philips for this but this is good

Fournier bach suites

All their Enrico Mainardi stuff, especially

Bernstein Mahler 2 & 3.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
i was very impressed by the first playing of the Dvorak, did not sound in any way not all analog, lots of air, rich tonality, textured bass, and sexyness. but until the SC arrives for a direct compare who knows?
I do.;) Bought both years ago but will refrain from commenting until you get your SC. Don’t want to spoil your experience.:)

This new TACET should also be interesting, especially the B side…
IMG_2214.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
Westlake Village, CA, USA
Well isn’t this special. After waiting almost a month from the time the albums left Germany, I received them today in a crushed box. The records amazingly came through somewhat ok except for slightly bent corners. I sent DG a note asking them to send replacement albums but not sure if I have to ship these back. I really don’t want to wait another month to get these so debating with myself whether to keep them. IMG_0280.jpeg IMG_0281.jpeg

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Well isn’t this special. After waiting almost a month from the time the albums left Germany, I received them today in a crushed box. The records amazingly came through somewhat ok except for slightly bent corners. I sent DG a note asking them to send replacement albums but not sure if I have to ship these back. I really don’t want to wait another month to get these so debating with myself whether to keep them. View attachment 112242 View attachment 112243
my box arrived today (ordered Feb 24th) with the first 4 albums, and the outer box was also falling apart, but the inner cardboard boxes were not harmed. Lp's appear to be all ok. not yet played any of them.

also received the Dvorak/Kertesz Speakers Corner pressing. played just a bit of it so far.

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
my box arrived today (ordered Feb 24th) with the first 4 albums, and the outer box was also falling apart, but the inner cardboard boxes were not harmed. Lp's appear to be all ok. not yet played any of them.

also received the Dvorak/Kertesz Speakers Corner pressing. played just a bit of it so far.
It’s hard to understand how a company as large as DG can’t figure out how to securely ship boxes overseas. Glad to hear your albums were good. Please share how you like the Dvorak Speakers Corner lp. I had ordered it but Havnt received it yet and then ended up ordering the Esoteric version as well to compare. Are you stll enjoying your new turntable?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
It’s hard to understand how a company as large as DG can’t figure out how to securely ship boxes overseas. Glad to hear your albums were good.
me too. i had been fearful with all the feedback and such a long time in transit. sampled the Beethoven 7th briefly this evening, really enjoyed it.
Please share how you like the Dvorak Speakers Corner lp. I had ordered it but Havnt received it yet and then ended up ordering the Esoteric version as well to compare.
first thing in the morning i intend to do a proper compare. at first blush with my brief listen, it seemed the Speakers Corner was at another level in degrees. more complete.
Are you stll enjoying your new turntable?
yes.

yesterday i had a visitor for 6 hours, much of it listening to the Esoteric T1. we were both quite taken by it. with my other 2 high level turntable set-ups and my tape it's hard to stand out, but the T1 certainly takes things to another level.

then tonight another visitor for a couple hours, and we again really pushed things on the T1. delivered the whole package. apparently perfect speed and energy is hard to beat. and when the fur flies the T1 keeps the flow and musical purpose front and center. zero cringe factor.

Reactions: Elliot G.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I do.;) Bought both years ago but will refrain from commenting until you get your SC. Don’t want to spoil your experience.:)

This new TACET should also be interesting, especially the B side…
View attachment 112156

i have a a few Tacets to sell if anyone wants can dig out which ones

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
It’s hard to understand how a company as large as DG can’t figure out how to securely ship boxes overseas. Glad to hear your albums were good. Please share how you like the Dvorak Speakers Corner lp. I had ordered it but Havnt received it yet and then ended up ordering the Esoteric version as well to compare. Are you stll enjoying your new turntable?

Have your received/played the Esoteric Dvorak/Kertesz yet? How do you like it?

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
No, Speakers corner supposed to arrive tomorrow, Esoteric, not til next week

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Please share how you like the Dvorak Speakers Corner lp. I had ordered it but Havnt received it yet and then ended up ordering the Esoteric version as well to compare.
Have your received/played the Esoteric Dvorak/Kertesz yet? How do you like it?
this morning i played the first 5 minutes back and forth, and again back and forth. honestly the music is so good on both you lose yourself in the music and forget to pay attention to the sound. it grabs you. so i did it again to stay focused. this is great music.

the Speakers Corner pressing is better. smoother, more grain less. more complete with note decay, space and presence and a little better flow. the Esoteric is less in these areas by degrees. the Speakers Corner has more dynamic weight and authority. the Esoteric is a bit more up front in terms of presentation. the top end is smoother on the Speakers Corner.

these are slight differences, but you can hear them. all together they matter musically. i did play both on the Esoteric T1/Durand Tosca/DaVa.

if i were to have played the whole record of each one back to back maybe i could say more.

i think i relaxed into the music more with the Speakers Corner. more enveloping. it's the one i would grab to listen to between them. but the Esoteric did not obviously sound like a digital master.....and i did enjoy it this morning and two days ago when i listened to the whole thing.

edit: i have now played the Speakers Corner all the way though, and had done that with the Esoteric the other day. my comments hold for the whole pressings.

Last edited:

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
Maybe I should cancel the Esoteric copy and just keep the Speakers Corner version. Also, FYI, DG just refunded me 15 euros because of the crushed box. Albums played fine so decided to keep them.

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Specific Northwest - Seattle area
I got the first 4 DG The Original Source Series this past week. Ordered them from Acoustic Sounds. Subsequently found that Amazon has them, which means free shipping.

All 4 were flat and quiet. Dead quiet. Beautiful pressings.

The Mahler 5 Adagietto went from whispers in the harps to full on fff. Incredibly dynamic and powerful.

Wish that DG had bothered to do a better job back when these were originally issued. The originals pale in comparison.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I haven't read this entire thread yet. What is it about these 'original source' LPs that is superior to the originals?

it is not that these DG originals are necessarily among the good originals in the first place. Only some of DG’s red stereo tulips are of good quality

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Stokowski Dvorak new world. Very inexpensive vinyl

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
Which version is this one, as Stokowski recorded many?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: Rotatoubib

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing