The new audiophile vinyl series The Original Source from Deutsche Grammophon (AAA)

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Specific Northwest - Seattle area
it is not that these DG originals are necessarily among the good originals in the first place. Only some of DG’s red stereo tulips are of good quality
Agreed, there are many good DG pressings, tulips and especially their Archiv label (early and baroque subsidiary).

If I recall, the DG classical pressings got a little thread bare in the 1970's. Great performers and artists, not always the best sounding LPs.

Last edited:

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Well isn’t this special. After waiting almost a month from the time the albums left Germany, I received them today in a crushed box. The records amazingly came through somewhat ok except for slightly bent corners. I sent DG a note asking them to send replacement albums but not sure if I have to ship these back. I really don’t want to wait another month to get these so debating with myself whether to keep them. View attachment 112242 View attachment 112243
"Nice."
At least you got yours. My shipment also left DG on June 1, but mine were put on a ship - not in an airplane (I am also in N. America)!
So mine will be 2-3 months in transit, most likely. You'll notice that yours was handed to USPS from DHL, which is probably why they are so damaged.
DG.com is cutting costs on shipping. I paid 60EUR to ship 4 albums by...sea!
DG.com is a complete joke when it comes to eCommerce. They have outsourced it all to Bravado. Bravado almost never replies to emails and when they do, they are completely unhelpful. DG customer service does reply and they are polite; but they say they have no control over Bravado ;)

I would order elsewhere but only DG.com has all the Original Source albums.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Agreed, there are many good DG pressings, tulips and especially their Archiv label (early and baroque subsidiary).

If I recall, the DG classical pressings got a little thread bare in the 1970's. Great performers and artists, not always the best sounding LPs.

I recently bought this Archiv mono. Slightly different take, less intense but melodic to keep me listening. His Beethoven concerto has my favorite second movement on youtube, and a very different cadenza, though the DG recording is not that good.

Chaconne starts after 15 mins or so.

Reactions: Rotatoubib

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
very impressed with the sound and music with these first 4 in this series.

ordered the other 7 titles just now. 2 from Acoustic Sounds, 2 from Music Direct, and 3 direct again from DG. and i will watch closely for more. even with the clown show distribution stuff, this is the best thing to happen for classical vinyl i can recall in many years. it's my listening sweet spot and i'm not one to chase originals.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I mean, no email confirm is ludicrous. Also got a nice $5 fee from my credit card bc it’s a foreign source - so $178 for 3 albums shipped.

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
Stokowski Dvorak new world. Very inexpensive vinyl

I have a tape of the Stokowski New World on Decca Phase 4. I also have the tape of the later Kertesz. Both are copied from production masters The Stokowski is much better. Many of the Phase 4 LPs get a bad rep probably because they need to compress the dynamics. Some of the Phase 4 recordings I have are really great, such as the Stokowski Tchaikovsky 5th and several Bernard Herrmann film LPs.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Some of the phase 4 performances are excellent as well. It was due to their multimiking they got a bad rep as some do sound weird compared to the older deccas.

The kertesz decca original new world is excellent though, both recording and performance

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have a tape of the Stokowski New World on Decca Phase 4.

Stokowski has some performances on phase 4s, but the phase 4 new world is Dorati's, not Leopold?

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
I ordered my second batch of DG TOS from Presto since they are VOEC compliant. DG Store is not.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
DG want me to help file an investigation request for DHL to understand the whereabouts of my package and why is it delayed.

All I wanted was to order a few records..
I’ve asked them to resend me the records and run the investigation in parallel, as it may take weeks/months.
Let’s see how they respond.
DG answered the investigation will take 6-8 weeks and until then they cannot do anything.
Great customer service!!!

Anyway, decided to order the 1st batch directly from Amazon, it'll be here in a few days and I paid less.

Reactions: tima

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
Westlake Village, CA, USA

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing