The new audiophile vinyl series The Original Source from Deutsche Grammophon (AAA)

UEM

Dec 26, 2017
Waedenswil, near Zuerich, Switzerland
Discogs showed sellers in Europe. Some folks buy the records simply to resell for a profit. Especially with limited edition issues or reissues.
Thanks,
well, despite the "mark-up" a seller from Poland offers a better deal, as an import from the US (As mentioned: Cost of Shipment from overseas is more than the record.)
Now I hope, I get my "VERDI" after all, AND it is new indeed ..!!

Regards
Urs

Reactions: oldvinyl

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
Hew! Fingers crossed. It appears I’ve located a (new) copy of Claudio Abbado & London Symphony Orchestra’s Stravinsky: Sacre Du Pretemps on its way to me. This completes the sold out back catalog for me of this series. And for a fair, not ridiculous surplus. Well, we’ll see…

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Just ordered the 4th Batch ;

Your ordered items
Claudio Abbado & Wiener Philharmoniker - Tschaikowski: Sinfonie Nr. 4 OS - Original Source Vinyl
Quantity: 1​
Release date: 12-01-2024​
Price: 53,99 €​
Total price: €53.99​
Gundula Janowitz, Berliner Philharmoniker, Karajan - R. Strauss: Four Last Songs, Death and Death
Price: 53,99 €​
Total price: €53.99​
William Steinberg & Boston Symphony Orchestra - Steinberg & BSO: The DG Recordings OS - Original ...
Price: 135,00 €​
Total price: €135.00​
Various - DG Stage+ Flyer Schwarz DIN A6 - Flyer
Price: 0,01 €​
Total price: €0.00​

Reactions: tima

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
They're doing a fantastic job.... taking our money lol

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mine came too. That said, I still haven't listened to anything other than the first batch. The Mahler was a big disappointment in terms of sonics and I guess I lost some enthusiasm. I'll get to them eventually I suppose.
You like the Mahler?
i recall that i enjoyed it when i listened last spring and thought then it sounded superb. note i'm no classical expert on performance or interpretation, just here for the musical connection, but do spend much of my time listening to large orchestral recordings both digital and vinyl.

after reading your comments figured i should pull it out and listen again. on the third side now. i really enjoy the performance and the recording. it's a bit distant but lively and very genuine and real sounding. the only other Mahler 5th vinyl pressings i have are the Bernstein Columbia complete box set and the Japanese King Analog Solti 5th. i like this one a little better than those, although the Solti is close. This sonics on this one are just so right and the bass, air and venue are superior. i'm sucked into the flow of it.

what specifically about the sound was disappointing to you? or was it the performance?

i'm playing this on the Esoteric T1/EMIA switching back and forth side to side the FCL/Etsuro Gold and Tosca/DaVa.

just my 2 cents, to my ears in my system.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
what specifically about the sound was disappointing to you? or was it the performance?

the Beethoven 7 sounded great on most systems but did not on a CH system. And there were many old originals that sounded good on that CH, as did they on systems where the DGG TOS sounded good. So the CH just didn’t like the TOS for some reason. Maybe Ian has a similar issue with the Mahler.

In an earlier post when mtemur had found one of the DGGs disappointing I had suggested he try it on another system where he said it sounded much better.

Some LPs just don’t sound good on certain systems.

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
the Beethoven 7 sounded great on most systems but did not on a CH system. And there were many old originals that sounded good on that CH, as did they on systems where the DGG TOS sounded good. So the CH just didn’t like the TOS for some reason. Maybe Ian has a similar issue with the Mahler.

In an earlier post when mtemur had found one of the DGGs disappointing I had suggested he try it on another system where he said it sounded much better.

i guess that is something you would know about. seems like CH Precision ought to be very good at this, though; surprising to read that.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
i guess that is something you would know about. seems like CH Precision ought to be very good at this, though; surprising to read that.

it’s very good on some originals it didn’t play the Beethoven 7 well. Nothing against CH there. Ian’s comment might mean it is further data point that it does not like the DGG TOS

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019

I also have TOS Bethooven 7.

IMHO both TOS Beethoven 7 and Schubert-Gilels sound just a tiny bit powerful around lower treble. Maybe it’s DG house sound. On the other hand CH pre and amps have a tad bright character without being edgy that multiplies the character of those records.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I also have TOS Bethooven 7.

IMHO both TOS Beethoven 7 and Schubert-Gilels sound just a tiny bit powerful around lower treble. Maybe it’s DG house sound. On the other hand CH pre and amps have a tad bright character without being edgy that multiplies the character of those records.
curious, what cartridge(s) do you use?

thanks.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I heard it with Benz Wood, Hana SL and Techdas TCD01Ti and probably with Kondo IO-M.

but what happened when you heard on a different system with different electronics

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
but what happened when you heard on a different system with different electronics
I think Beethoven 7 is better than Schubert-Gilels but both being a tiny bit amplified at lower treble. I was complaining the sound of piano on TOS Schubert-Gilels. When I tried it on a different setup piano started to sound better but not perfect. Maybe it’s the recording I don’t know. Dynamics, sound of strings, transparency etc are great though.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
i recall that i enjoyed it when i listened last spring and thought then it sounded superb. note i'm no classical expert on performance or interpretation, just here for the musical connection, but do spend much of my time listening to large orchestral recordings both digital and vinyl.

after reading your comments figured i should pull it out and listen again. on the third side now. i really enjoy the performance and the recording. it's a bit distant but lively and very genuine and real sounding. the only other Mahler 5th vinyl pressings i have are the Bernstein Columbia complete box set and the Japanese King Analog Solti 5th. i like this one a little better than those, although the Solti is close. This sonics on this one are just so right and the bass, air and venue are superior. i'm sucked into the flow of it.

i'm playing this on the Esoteric T1/EMIA switching back and forth side to side the FCL/Etsuro Gold and Tosca/DaVa.

just my 2 cents, to my ears in my system.
Hi Mike, I appreciate your comments. I think I was disappointed that the strings didn't sound that good (it's been a few weeks now and so I'd have to go back and remind myself). I think they still had that typical hard DGG sound that I'm pretty familiar with and feel is just not realistic sounding - at least not compared to so many other recordings. I played it for my friend Al and he wasn't impressed either. As for the performance - I don't have any comment as I'm not familiar enough with Mahler 5 to judge.

I loved the Beethoven 7 and the Schubert was very good. Haven't heard Rite of Spring yet or any of the others.

Glad others are enjoying it as I think the series is a good thing and should be supported (I've purchased every title myself).

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
I’ve ordered the Steinberg set. Amazon UK had a good price.

My only gripe with the LvB7 is the playing in the final movement.
The Schubert is a bit close, but they must have done changes to the microphones between sessions. I like the sound better as the piece moves along.

Reactions: No Regrets

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Hi Mike, I appreciate your comments. I think I was disappointed that the strings didn't sound that good (it's been a few weeks now and so I'd have to go back and remind myself). I think they still had that typical hard DGG sound that I'm pretty familiar with and feel is just not realistic sounding - at least not compared to so many other recordings. I played it for my friend Al and he wasn't impressed either. As for the performance - I don't have any comment as I'm not familiar enough with Mahler 5 to judge.

I loved the Beethoven 7 and the Schubert was very good. Haven't heard Rite of Spring yet or any of the others.

Glad others are enjoying it as I think the series is a good thing and should be supported (I've purchased every title myself).

Yes, that is what we heard, Ian. The Beethoven 7 and Schubert Trout sound great, but especially the string texture on the Mahler was not realistic. I assume that is what you meant when you said "not as good as digital", because on digital we have heard very realistic string textures (e.g., on Bruckner 9, Giulini/VPO, digital recording from 1989, also on DGG).

None of the DGG TOS vinyl sounds bright on your system.

Reactions: MadFloyd

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I’ve ordered the Steinberg set. Amazon UK had a good price.

If memory serves me well, the Steinberg Hindemith is excellent in its interpretation.

My only gripe with the LvB7 is the playing in the final movement.

Loved the playing. The precision of playing by the VPO is extraordinary, it sounds like a single, passionate force summoned by the music. I think the tempo in the final movement is appropriate for the music as well.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Been listening over the weekend gone to six of the DG TOS LPs that finally arrived at my UK base on 18th October;

thumbnail_IMG_4564_Six LPs Came Together on 18-10-2023.jpg

And listened to one of the other DG TOS LPs in batch 3 week before last which arrived a week before (two weeks ago) the six above due to an error on my part ordering batch 2 and 3 together for six of the LPs shown above but having to wait until end of September / 1st, 2nd week of October to also receive batch 2 with batch 3 due to this single delivered LP from batch 2 being ordered on it's own after I had ordered the other 6 as the day I ordered the other 6 LPs for batch 2 and 3, this one had sold out but came back on sale a couple of days later ;

thumbnail_IMG_4545_One LP Came week before 18-10-2023.jpg

All in all once again great quality as I found for batch 1.

Ordered batch 4 over weekend gone.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Been listening over the weekend gone to six of the DG TOS LPs that finally arrived at my UK base on 18th October;

View attachment 118601

And listened to one of the other DG TOS LPs in batch 3 week before last which arrived a week before (two weeks ago) the six above due to an error on my part ordering batch 2 and 3 together for six of the LPs shown above but having to wait until end of September / 1st, 2nd week of October to also receive batch 2 with batch 3 due to this single delivered LP from batch 2 being ordered on it's own after I had ordered the other 6 as the day I ordered the other 6 LPs for batch 2 and 3, this one had sold out but came back on sale a couple of days later ;

View attachment 118602

All in all once again great quality as I found for batch 1.

Ordered batch 4 over weekend gone.
However, the delivery side taking soooo long from Germany to UK for the 6 LPs that came together for batch 2 & 3 (i.e. approx. over 2 weeks - with quite a bit of that time in UK Customs - see attached tracking details below) and then having to pay another £67 for UK VAT (20%) when my order receipt from DG clearly states that VAT is inclusive ! (see attached VAT details below).

Interesting that for the DG TOS LP from batch 2 that came on it's own it arrived very quickly with no UK customs charges and VAT.

thumbnail_IMG_4559_Delivery Tracker Status_17-10-23.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4558_Delivery Tracker Status_Delivered_18-10-23.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4560_Delivery Tracking Status Arrival.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4561_VAT Charge.jpg

However, the good side is that all the LPs were well packaged and were delivered in perfect condition;

thumbnail_IMG_4562_Packaging.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4563_Packaging.jpg

I am going to contest the extra UK VAT charge as I don't think I should have paid it, but had no choice at the time last week to pay it to release the six LPs from Customs / UK Parcel Force and have them delivered !

Also interesting that all seven of the DG TOS LPs were initially sent via DHL (all at the same time with one of them separately packaged as explained in my previous post) then switched to Parcel Force when in the UK even though there is a UK DHL which I believe are two separate and independent postal companies (very strange ! )

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing