The new audiophile vinyl series The Original Source from Deutsche Grammophon (AAA)

MikeHorns

Jul 6, 2014
Los Angeles
I noticed that the next batch of DG Original Source Vinyl is not available, or at least I cannot find it, on Amazon or Acoustic Sounds. The DG store itself is now only showing the Strauss and Tchaikovsky, the Steinberg set is not listed.
Amazon US has listed the next DG OSS batch for quite some time, but with no pricing or available date.

Steinberg
Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 4
Strauss

oeno

Jun 7, 2014
Both Amazon Uk and Amazon Canada show some of the next batch of Original Source records as pre-orders in January.

rossb

May 24, 2017
I've just received a couple of these Original Source reissues - the Gulda Mozart concertos and Gilels Beethoven piano sonatas.

I have played both and they sound a bit thin, and rather cool and metallic sounding. It could be these two specific recordings, but I have a previous reissue from the Gulda Mozart concertos (Speaker's Corner, I think) which sounds much better. So far, quite unimpressed with these expensive reissues.

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
I did not order those two, @rossb, so I cannot comment on those, but in general my impression is that less distortion from analog tapes give a less full sound.

As for the Steinberg box, Google searching shows it as "sold out" at the DG (and Decca) web shops:
We'll learn more on Friday I suppose.

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
That was a mouth watering read!

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
got shipping notice yesterday for this last batch....they are in transit......no ETA yet. DHL in Europe, then USPS for the USA.
Same here Mike :) from Europe to UK.

But I won't hold my breath with them arriving to my doorstep soon, as when I had the same email notice for the last 2 batches (that came together due to they way I had ordered them both) it was a good few weeks before they arrived at my UK doorstep (being stuck in UK Customs for over a week didn't help as I also needed to pay Customs duty on them !)

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
If you're in UK why not buy from Presto, BJ?

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
If you're in UK why not buy from Presto, BJ?
I want to make sure I am in the order queue so buying direct from DG and having their confirmation my order has been placed gives me 99% confidence I will (at some point) receive them.

Reactions: Kjetil

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
I see. Did you order the Steinberg from DG?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
I'm in Norway and buy most of my classical music from them.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I see. Did you order the Steinberg from DG?
Yes I did (along with all of the other original / first batches of DG OSVs that have been released to date).

Reactions: Kjetil

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
When DG says: “Mastered from the original source and pressed on 180 gram vinyl” [not for an Original Source release] does this mean that they could have still converted to digital, or is it all analog?
Some of the Dgg one source series available in amazon jp pre order. Price reasonable except symphonie no 4 is pricier

Attachments

• IMG_2638.jpeg
    IMG_2638.jpeg
    521.1 KB · Views: 5

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
Some of the Dgg one source series available in amazon jp pre order. Price reasonable except symphonie no 4 is pricier
Today I had Amazon jp cancel orders on two titles that I have had on order for months now. First pressing Gustav Mahler: Symphony was one of them. Good thing DG has a second round of pressings. My second chance.

Last edited:

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Today I had Amazon jp cancel orders on two titles that I have had on order for months now. Good thing DG has a second round of pressings. My second chance.
I preordered a few Dgg 1 source series amazon Jp . Delivered . 1 Dgg was cancelled by Amazon Sg after more than 1 mth of non delivery

GrumpyPatzer

Jan 12, 2024
UK
Hello everyone

I’m new here. Having occasionally looked at this forum over the last couple of years, seeing this thread prompted me to register. I’ll introduce myself properly when I have more time, but want to just quickly share a couple of things about these DGG Original Source LPs.

The “2nd editions” of four of the earlier releases, such as the Kleiber Beethoven 7th, are now available to order at Presto. Also at amazon.de (although rather more expensive there). I ordered the three that I want yesterday evening.

I asked Presto about the likely availability of these 2nd editions last week, before they were available to order (at that point, only the Janowitz / Karajan / BPO Strauss and the Tchaikovsky 4th were). They advised that the 2nd editions would be released for ordering today (so they actually jumped the gun slightly), for delivery some time in February. Sure enough, when I placed the order yesterday evening, it gave an estimated dispatch date of 16th February.

Hope this is of interest to some of you (although I dare say a lot of you will already know that they are now orderable in various places).

Best wishes to all
Andrew

PS. I once had the great good fortune to hear Kleiber conduct Beethoven’s 7th in London (when he stood in for Böhm, who was unwell). Beyond marvellous.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing