The new audiophile vinyl series The Original Source from Deutsche Grammophon (AAA)

I'm guessing the 1967 Jochum set is AAA, so, in a sense, it already has the TOS treatment. :)

Not really. Regular vinyl pressings from DGG are known not to always be of the best quality, regardless of being AAA or not. TOS is apparently very different.

Not really. Regular vinyl pressings from DGG are known not to always be of the best quality, regardless of being AAA or not. TOS is apparently very different.

First, there is no record company known that always produces records of the best quality.

DG would not issue those in the TOS series if they were simply virgin vinyl (a virtue, yes) and 180g (a virtue not.) TOS is AAA -- that is its reason for being.

Perhaps you did not understand my statement "I'm guessing the 1967 Jochum Tulip set [referenced by MikeL] is AAA, so, in a sense, it already has the TOS treatment."

Read about Tulip label DG LPs and ALLE HERSTELLER labels.

Reactions: bonzo75
I scored this gem at the local used record shop a week ago:

img_4834-jpeg.1017121

German 1972 release. AFAIK this is a two track master, so not in the TOS pipeline, which with the Bruckner box now also include downmixes from eight track master tapes.

img_4837-jpeg.1017547

Last edited:
First, there is no record company known that always produces records of the best quality.

DG would not issue those in the TOS series if they were simply virgin vinyl (a virtue, yes) and 180g (a virtue not.) TOS is AAA -- that is its reason for being.

Perhaps you did not understand my statement "I'm guessing the 1967 Jochum Tulip set [referenced by MikeL] is AAA, so, in a sense, it already has the TOS treatment."

Read about Tulip label DG LPs and ALLE HERSTELLER labels.

you forget, Al knows everything about originals. He compared original pop from 1970s to reissues at Ron. Forget the General, Al is Chief of Staff, Secretary of State when it comes to vinyl.

• Haha
Reactions: tima and Al M.
Just got shipment notice for the new TOS batch of 4 records.

I am especially eager to listen to the Bartok.

Yes, me too. One doesn't think of Bartok when one thinks of Kubelik, or vice versa. It's his sole Bartok recording and it is great DG is bringing it back. Kubelik certainly has his own unique style and it will be very interesting to hear it applied to Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra. He has 2 Mahler cycles (complete on DG and mixed on Audite) and his live Mahler 1st from '79 is, imo, a real palette quencher with his relaxed lyrical approach.

The one I'm eager to hear -- well I'm eager to hear them all -- but the one got that my attention is the Bohm recording of Beethoven's Pastoral (6th) symphony. This is considered one of, if not the best recorded performance of this classic. And now we get it with the TOS treatment! This recording (whether TOS or not) should be in every classical collection. Alas it sold out at DG and is already on backorder at Elusive Disc.

The Böhm Pastorale is in my collection and it’s not my favorite. Too sweet for my taste. That said it is a must hear.
Very much looking forward to the Kubelik Bartók. Some who have heard it say it’s on par with the Reiner. Sound wise it should be a walkover.

Reactions: bonzo75
Gentlemen .... start your record cleaners! (I always put new LPs through an ultrasonic cycle before listening)
I assume everyone does that these days!

Hello, just listened to:

IMG_5305.jpeg

Bartok Concert for Orchestra

Boston Symphony Orchestra
Rafael Kubelik

Thrilling interpretation of the BSO and Kubelik, who has always stood up for Bartok's works.

My record is really perfectly finished, very quiet vinyl. No background noise. Soundly a feast, spatiality, dynamics, everything there.

I hope the other three keep the high level.

Hello, just listened to:

View attachment 130050

Bartok Concert for Orchestra

Boston Symphony Orchestra
Rafael Kubelik

Thrilling interpretation of the BSO and Kubelik, who has always stood up for Bartok's works.

My record is really perfectly finished, very quiet vinyl. No background noise. Soundly a feast, spatiality, dynamics, everything there.

I hope the other three keep the high level.
Wow, that was quick. Are you in Europe?

The one I'm eager to hear -- well I'm eager to hear them all -- but the one got that my attention is the Bohm recording of Beethoven's Pastoral (6th) symphony. This is considered one of, if not the best recorded performance of this classic. And now we get it with the TOS treatment! This recording (whether TOS or not) should be in every classical collection. Alas it sold out at DG and is already on backorder at Elusive Disc.
Hi Tim,

I was just able to order the Pastoral from Acoustic Sounds tonight, along with the Daniel Barenboim / Bruckner: Symphony No. 4

Best wishes,
Don

Reactions: tima
Does anyone have experience with Horch House master Tapes for Steinberg's Planets and Thus Spoke Zarathustra. How they fare against the original source vinyl release. Tape is generally better but if the 2ch master for original source is the better one, it will still top the tape according to my experience. So does anyone know which master Horch house used?

I was just going to get the original source and saw these two titles at my record shop in tape format, so I am intrigued!
Let me answer my own question. I have asked Horch house and got an answer from Volker. Here it is below;

We have used the 2 track masters from the past.
But Christoph Stickel at csmastering (grammy nominiee) made a analog refurbishing.
www.csmastering.com

I decided to get those tapes and if I can get the records, I will let people know how they differ.

Reactions: mtemur and MadFloyd

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing