The new audiophile vinyl series The Original Source from Deutsche Grammophon (AAA)

The Strauss - Tod und Verklärung / Vier letzte Lieder is for me far not so outstanding as many reported here, neither sonically nor the interpretation
(If this TOS series from DG is successful, then I can only hope that EMI and Decca/Warner will follow in a similar attempt; I have no information, cf.post #883
For instance:
OC0zNTEwLmpwZWc.jpeg

NS5qcGVn.jpeg

)

Last edited:
I wonder what are DG's criteria to chose a recording for The Original Source serie
I would like to see THIS one reissued in TOS !!!!! (I hope R. Maillard reads this ;-)
(that's something, lemme tell ya //with American accent)

Verdi: Un Ballo in Maschera
Gianandrea Gavazzeni, conductor - DG

51PRF4PbphL._SY300_SX300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

(If this TOS series from DG is successful, then I hope EMI and Decca/Warner will follow in a similar attempt;
For instance:
OC0zNTEwLmpwZWc.jpeg

NS5qcGVn.jpeg

)
Are there any indications other labels will follow in DG footsteps?

Universal, who owns DG, also owns Decca, and they bought the Philips catalogue and call the reissues Decca because they cannot use Philips. Maybe Abbey Road has something in the pipeline for Warner which has the EMI catalogue now. It's a complete mess apart from DG.

img_4900-jpeg.1025986

Arrived earlier today. Must admit I only planned to get the Bartok from this batch, but the panegyric review at Tracking Angle pushed me over. I have listened to disc 1 of the Bruckner so far. All good!

Maybe Abbey Road has something in the pipeline for Warner which has the EMI catalogue now.

Thanks for mentioning this. Lot's of fine classical re-issues / re-masters from Warner Classics on LP. When they first come out they are quite reasonably priced (<$50). Initial release numbers for some seem low, so if you see something you like best to nab it quickly. Argerich and DuPre, Furtwangler, Callas, Marriner, Barbirolli's Mahler 5, Klemperer's Mahler 2 and more. The ones I've encountered are excellent pressings.

For example this excellent Klemperer 3-LP Box Set of Wagner (~$70) is now very hard to find in the US.
Wagner Klemperer Warner Classics 5419757987 .jpg

There’s also Testament Records that do AAA releases of classic EMI albums e.g. the Elgar Cello Concerto and Sea Pictures with Barbirolli, Du Pré and Baker, and also other labels.

There’s also Testament Records that do AAA releases of classic EMI albums e.g. the Elgar Cello Concerto and Sea Pictures with Barbirolli, Du Pré and Baker, and also other labels.

Testament quality is not good. The Elgar cello second ed is not that expensive anyway. Also avoid the one on ERC

I think play the Sea Pictures (I like to play the DG TOS Vier letzte Lieder directly after) three times as often as the Cello Concerto. Must admit I bought the Testament release because it’s AAA, not because of the sound quality.

IMG_4905.jpeg
This sounds a whole lot better than the fabled Reiner. It’s nice to have both these great performances though. :)

Yup. A more believable soundstage, a less resonant/uncontrolled behaviour in the deep bass, less distortion etc. usw. You need this, @MadFloyd. :)

• Love
Reactions: MadFloyd
I think play the Sea Pictures (I like to play the DG TOS Vier letzte Lieder directly after) three times as often as the Cello Concerto. Must admit I bought the Testament release because it’s AAA, not because of the sound quality.

View attachment 131630
This sounds a whole lot better than the fabled Reiner. It’s nice to have both these great performances though. :)

The Du pre Elgar cello on digital is here. Never got a video of this on LP.

Post in thread 'New Wadax Atlantis Reference Dac'
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/new-wadax-atlantis-reference-dac.27860/post-778174

Reactions: Kjetil
Finally got a chance to listen to these new TOS records. The Beethoven, Brahms and Buckner are wonderful performances and wonderful recordings/pressings. The brass in the Buckner is exceptional.

I was hoping for more from the Kubelik Bartok performance. The recording and pressings are really good. Could use more bass end energy. The performance was not on par with the likes of Dorati or Reiner. Some of the pathos, mystery, awe, wonder, enchantment, despair, pomp, and terror were either missing or not as readily evident as in other performances. I thought the last three movements (second side) were better than the first two. Some of the atmosphere of the piece would be enhanced with more bass or more guttural presence from the strings.

Excellent packaging, undamaged but warped. Most recent new pressings I bought are warped, especially from Germany. For me if a new record is made in Germany or from a German label it’s sure it’s warped.
It’s not a big problem cause I flatten those warped records.

Would you mind sharing your method of flattening warped records successfully? ;)

^IGD is not a matter of tonearm length. It’s a matter of needle shape (get a MicroLine/microridge/SAS) and choice of tonearm nulls. Weirdly enough it’s more difficult to achieve low geometric distortion across the record with a 12” arm than with a 9” even if a long arm in theory is of course better than a shorter one.

Kjetil, as the delighted user of a 9.5" WAND PLUS tonearm, I am very curious about your statement above.

I have always understood that all things being equal - same cart, stylus, etc. - a longer arm provides a shallower arc across an LP, and therefore LESS compromise, regarding potential cart alignment distortion.

What have I missed?

Last edited:
@SONDEKNZ This Stereophile article has the maths:

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob
Just got notified that the Giulini Bruckner set shipped. Eager to listen to his 9th.

You're going to be in for a treat. My favorite Bruckner 9. Slower than others, but does it work beautifully!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing