The new audiophile vinyl series The Original Source from Deutsche Grammophon (AAA)

Who has the Seiji Ozawa & Boston Symphony OrchestraHector Berlioz: Symphonie fantastique?

How does this recording sound compared to other well-known versions?

Is this an original analog recording and an AAA release?

Yes. all analog like all the Original Source series. mixed to stereo and cut directly from the 4-track tapes. it's very good, great sonics, but i have a few others that are very good recordings too. i'm not the guy to tell you about the artistic merits of the performance. but lately this is the one i have been playing.

the RCA Munch/Boston 4 disc Classic 45 is superb, and i like the RR 45 from Kojian/Utah too.

IMG_1522.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: MadFloyd
Yes. all analog like all the Original Source series. mixed to stereo and cut directly from the 4-track tapes. it's very good, great sonics, but i have a few others that are very good recordings too. i'm not the guy to tell you about the artistic merits of the performance. but lately this is the one i have been playing.

the RCA Munch/Boston 4 disc Classic 45 is superb

I have this as well.

and i like the RR 45 from Kojian/Utah too.

View attachment 132644

Thank you, Mike! This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for!

How do you find the sound qualities of the DG compare to the Reference Recordings (which I listen to all the time by the way -- I don't know how to judge the performance, but I think overall it sounds fantastic)?

I have this as well.

Thank you, Mike! This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for!

How do you find the sound qualities of the DG compare to the Reference Recordings (which I listen to all the time by the way -- I don't know how to judge the performance, but I think overall it sounds fantastic)?
off the top of my head cannot say about the sonic differences, but i'll try to do a quick compare and let you know when i can do it.

off the top of my head cannot say about the sonic differences, but i'll try to do a quick compare and let you know when i can do it.
That's sweet, but I was not intending to give you any homework!

Who has the Seiji Ozawa & Boston Symphony OrchestraHector Berlioz: Symphonie fantastique?

How does this recording sound compared to other well-known versions?

Is this an original analog recording and an AAA release?
I have it. A sonic favourite and a demonstration disc. The recording engineers nailed it to four track and the mixing and cutting by Rainier and Sidney is excellent. It is AAA or maybe just AA. it's downmixed without a 2 ch tape step.
Ozawa and Boston presents it without mannerism, almost slick. I vastly prefer it to my 1979 Wiener Philharmoniker/Haitink on Decca (Dutch pressing), recorded in the fabled Sofiensaal.

I have it. A sonic favourite and a demonstration disc. The recording engineers nailed it to four track and the mixing and cutting by Rainier and Sidney is excellent. It is AAA or maybe just AA. it's downmixed without a 2 ch tape step.
Ozawa and Boston presents it without mannerism, almost slick. I vastly prefer it to my 1979 Wiener Philharmoniker/Haitink on Decca (Dutch pressing), recorded in the fabled Sofiensaal.
Thank you.

Reactions: Kjetil
It is AAA or maybe just AA. it's downmixed without a 2 ch tape step.
Most of these were 4 channel quadrophonic recordings that are now mixed to two channel stereo. All are AAA with the exception of some of the Bruckner in the box set, as noted on the web site.

That has been the purpose for introducing Original Source Vinyl - get worthwhile all analog pressings out as redo's of the less than impressive DG pressings from the 1970's.

The Los Angeles/Orange county Audio society let members know about a limited edition Ellington Indigos 45 RPM two discs. I normally stay away from 45s since I never felt any modest increase in sq was worth getting up so often to change sides ( I get my exercise in other ways). But I decided to pick this one up and very pleased with the entire package and sq. Still don’t like getting up but worth it in this case.

Attachments

• IMG_0449.jpeg
    IMG_0449.jpeg
    713.1 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: sbo6 and tima
The Los Angeles/Orange county Audio society let members know about a limited edition Ellington Indigos 45 RPM two discs. I normally stay away from 45s since I never felt any modest increase in sq was worth getting up so often to change sides ( I get my exercise in other ways). But I decided to pick this one up and very pleased with the entire package and sq. Still don’t like getting up but worth it in this case.

That is a fabulous recording -- one of my Ellington favorites.

I see a 45rpm 30th Anniversary LA/Orange County Audio Society 1000 pressing edition made in purple vinyl. It is offered on several of the main retail sites. My experience with colored vinyl is somewhat checkered. I'm quite curious about the choice to use purple colored vinyl -- is that to make it special for the event or are there other reasons?

Fwiw there is also a black vinyl 45rpm 3000 edition pressing version available.

These are done by Impex, whom I find one of the more quality consistent reissuers.

Here is some info from album insert and web re the Ellington Indigos album. I guess purple is considered a hue of indigo

Attachments

• IMG_0452.jpeg
    IMG_0452.jpeg
    1,015 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0451.jpeg
    IMG_0451.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0453.jpeg
    IMG_0453.jpeg
    773.3 KB · Views: 4
That is a fabulous recording -- one of my Ellington favorites.

I see a 45rpm 30th Anniversary LA/Orange County Audio Society 1000 pressing edition made in purple vinyl. It is offered on several of the main retail sites. My experience with colored vinyl is somewhat checkered. I'm quite curious about the choice to use purple colored vinyl -- is that to make it special for the event or are there other reasons?

Fwiw there is also a black vinyl 45rpm 3000 edition pressing version available.

These are done by Impex, whom I find one of the more quality consistent reissuers.
Just got this one delivered, looking forward to playing it this weekend!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing