The new audiophile vinyl series The Original Source from Deutsche Grammophon (AAA)

Sadly, I have quality problems with my box of the Bruckner 7-9 with Giulini.
There are plop noises that occur on several discs. To the point that there is a loop in a sequence where the stylus cannot get forward. Plus you have fear for your speakers.

Sadly, I will have to sent the whole box back. I ordered directly via Deutsche Grammophon.

There are plop noises that occur on several discs. To the point that there is a loop in a sequence where the stylus cannot get forward. Plus you have fear for your speakers.

Sadly, I will have to sent the whole box back. I ordered directly via Deutsche Grammophon.
That’s disappointing. Will they replace it?

The recording and pressings are really good. Could use more bass end energy.
I had received my order of the Pastoral and Bruckner 4 a few weeks ago from Acoustic Sounds. The pressings are defect free!

However, in regards to the Pastoral record there are times when I wish it also had more bass end energy. Although there is nice layers in the sound staging, the frequency response sounds tilted up to me.... not balanced. Needs more foundation, imho. Also, there are times when the strings sound somewhat strident. Almost like some DMM recordings can sound.

I will admit, that unfortunately I am currently suffering with a bad bout of Covid ( my first time ever with the Virus ) so I wonder if it is affecting my hearing to a degree?

P.S. To my ears, the Bruckner 4 sounds better to me, fwiw.

Best wishes,
Don

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75
@No Regrets - you take care of yourself.
Thank you, Tima for your well wishes! It's been a very rough ride for me. The doctors have been struggling getting my blood pressures, oxygen levels, breathing (I also have Covid Bronchitis), heart rates and fevers to become stable and under-control. Big swings from one extreme to the next and back again. At least I'm currently back out of the hospital again! With my stoke history and other underlying conditions, it's been been a very scary journey.

It's nice to have my "extended music loving family" here on the forum!!!

Best wishes to all of you!
Don

Last edited:

A new box (this time from jpc) arrived today. It is the number 1253.

I just skipped to the parts where the last box had the issues.

Symphonie No. 7: Side 1+2 plopping noises
Symphonie No. 8: Side 3+4 plopping noises and hanging in the beginning of side 1
Symphonie No. 9: Side 1+2 strong plopping noises and warped

I don’t think there are many boxes out there without issues.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: tima and No Regrets

Symphonie No. 8: Side 3+4 plopping noises and hanging in the beginning of side 1

How very disappointing! It can be very frustrating, to say the least, when the quality control over pressings is lacking.

Last edited:
Thank you, Tima for your well wishes! It's been a very rough ride for me. The doctors have been struggling getting my blood pressures, oxygen levels, breathing (I also have Covid Bronchitis), heart rates and fevers to become stable and under-control. Big swings from one extreme to the next and back again. At least I'm currently back out of the hospital again! With my stoke history and other underlying conditions, it's been been a very scary journey.

It's nice to have my "extended music loving family" here on the forum!!!

Best wishes to all of you!
Don
Wishing you a thorough recovery.

I usually don't do much serious music listening when I am not feeling well. Just don't connect with the music.

Reactions: No Regrets

That is frustrating. Two in a row is two too many. I'm looking forward to hear from a purchaser with zero issues.

Wishing you a thorough recovery.

I usually don't do much serious music listening when I am not feeling well. Just don't connect with the music.
Thank you for your well wishes!

I often feel the same way as you... it is more difficult to connect with the music.... it's hard for me to focus and appreciate the efforts of both what the composer was trying to convey and how the musicians are trying to interpret the score. But I thought I'd try...

Best wishes to you all,
Don

When you spread out Bruckner 4 on four sides and end up cutting 9 m 22 s of music on one LP side:

img_4903-jpeg.1026117

Reactions: No Regrets
4 new titles announced for 4. October. Chopin Preludes Pollini, Dvorak 9 Kubelik, Grieg Peer Gynt & Sigurd Jorsalfar Karajan, and Mozart PC 20-21 Gulda Abbado:

Ordered the Kubelik Dvorak 9

Just ordered direct from DG all four as well in this 6th batch :)

Reactions: Mike Lavigne
Who has the Seiji Ozawa & Boston Symphony OrchestraHector Berlioz: Symphonie fantastique?

How does this recording sound compared to other well-known versions?

Is this an original analog recording and an AAA release?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing