The ***Official*** Progressive Rock Thread

jgfergus

Mar 4, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
Another Italian prog monster is IL Rovescio Della Medaglia - "Contaminazione" from 1973. I have never heard a better union of rock & classical. This blew my teenage mind when I first heard it on a local Toronto FM station back in 1974.

P1060895.jpg

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Symphonic Pictures

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I guess I overloaded you with italian prog, Ian :)

That Locanda is top 10 for sure, incredible interplay between all the instruments.

Haha you did and I am grateful but I think I got overwhelmed... :)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Another Italian prog monster is IL Rovescio Della Medaglia - "Contaminazione" from 1973. I have never heard a better union of rock & classical. This blew my teenage mind when I first heard it on a local Toronto FM station back in 1974.

Cool, another one to check out. I didn't know Toronto played foreign prog... I thought Montreal was the king of prog in Canada but maybe not!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

jgfergus

Mar 4, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
Cool, another one to check out. I didn't know Toronto played foreign prog... I thought Montreal was the king of prog in Canada but maybe not!

Back in the late 60's and early to mid 70's, CHUM-FM was one of those progressive stations that played all kinds of weird & wonderful stuff. The DJ's had pretty much free reign to play anything remotely related to rock. My young ears heard some amazing prog back then. I'll never forget when they played all 4 sides of Topographic Oceans one night upon it's release.

jgfergus

Mar 4, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
Now playing...
Druid - Toward The Sun (1975)

Many dismiss this band as a generic Yes clone. Although nothing too challenging or adventurous, but I think this a very enjoyable album. Lots of mellotron and beautiful vocals from Dane.

P1060898.jpg

Last edited:

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Now playing...
Druid - Toward The Sun (1975)

Many dismiss this band as a generic Yes clone. Although nothing too challenging or adventurous, but I think this a very enjoyable album. Lots of mellotron and beautiful vocals from Dane.

View attachment 26218

Yes was probably one of the least copied of the Big 5. Not sure I would call Druid generic but on the other hand there were parts of their albums that sounded like they were written with tracing paper. A guilty pleasure...

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
A new member of the prog rock club? Right on.

This morning, starting off with Big Big Train's beautiful 2012 effort:

cover_486212262012_r.jpg

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
A new member of the prog rock club? Right on.

This morning, starting off with Big Big Train's beautiful 2012 effort:

View attachment 26236

This album... such a shame. There are some songs on here that just kill... unfortunately the mix/mastering makes it un-listenable to me because of the sharp sibilence on the singer's voice.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Awesome! "Vemod" is the 2nd coming of King Crimson, "Red" era :)

It's a shame subsequent albums ditched the KCisms and went for a more melodic approach... Still good albums, though!

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I'm playing this one right now, which is actually kinda KCish!

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/dark_f2/tamna_voda/

Attachments

• 4409038.jpg
    4409038.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 199

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing