The ***Official*** Progressive Rock Thread

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Is Umphrey's McGee prog? I've heard them described that way, and I can certainly hear lots of prog elements in their music, but I've heard they were practically booed off the stage at a Nearfest?

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Is Umphrey's McGee prog? I've heard them described that way, and I can certainly hear lots of prog elements in their music, but I've heard they were practically booed off the stage at a Nearfest?

That would have been difficult since Nearfest was cancelled the year they were to perform.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Crossover prog. That band can jam.
Yep! They can indeed. Have several of their albums, but only on FLAC.

That's a super LP, I have it somewhere, if i could just figure out where....:rolleyes:
Probably my fave Focus disc!

Cook was released in Italy as Live In USA with different artwork. The US version sounds horrible compared to the version on Numero Uno.
I'll have to look for that then! Thansk!

Wow, $4.99? You overpaid :D
Haha! No kidding!

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Days of Future Passed
On the Threshold of Dream
In Search of the lost Chord

Moodies - SACD's
Got all discs at once from Acoustic Sounds moons ago.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
That would have been difficult since Nearfest was cancelled the year they were to perform.

Was it cancelled because they were going to perform? ;)

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Was it cancelled because they were going to perform? ;)

Its funny you should ask. It didn't help ticket sales when they were announced. The band's inclusion in the festival was a point of contention between the new festival promoters who booked them and the faithful NEARfest community. The promoters were hoping to open up the festival a bit since it was relying too heavily on dinosaur bands to put asses in the seats. Umphrey's McGee was perceived as a jam band - not a prog band. Strangely enough around that time I was contacted by UM's manager because the band was looking to make more inroads into the prog rock community. Case in point their studio album Mantis was full on prog - not unlike something that Echolyn would have done.

I don't remember what the lineup was that year - it was kind of a mixed bag. Ticket sales were not up to par and the promoters were forced to cancel that year. The original promoters took the festival over for one final "we'll show you how its done" festival. Dubbed Nearfest Apocalypse it was an over the top way to go out. Festival sold out in seconds.

So in the aftermath of all that Umphrey's McGee were unfairly targeted as the poison that killed NEARfest. They seemed to have brushed it off and done quite fine for themselves. Nice bunch of guys to boot.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Found the lineup for Nearfest 2011:

Umphrey's McGee (USA)
The New Trolls (Italy)
Supersister (The Netherlands)
Karmakanic (Sweden)
Gösta Berlings Saga (Sweden)
simakDialog (Indonesia)
Accordo dei Contrari (Italy)
MediaBanda (Chile)
Half Past Four (Canada)
vonFrickle (USA)
Jeavestone (Finland)

Overall it was weak booking. The two headliners, New Trolls and Umphrey's McGee, were not really headliners - not enough draw. The undercard was a mixed bag with little drawing power. Supersister had to cancel because of the serious illness of a member. What was never announced, since it became irrelevant, was that MediaBanda had visa issues and were not going to perform. The people spoke with their wallets and the festival didn't happen that year.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Umphrey's McGee - Mantis (FLAC)

Umphreys McGee - Mantis.jpg

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Its funny you should ask. It didn't help ticket sales when they were announced. The band's inclusion in the festival was a point of contention between the new festival promoters who booked them and the faithful NEARfest community. The promoters were hoping to open up the festival a bit since it was relying too heavily on dinosaur bands to put asses in the seats. Umphrey's McGee was perceived as a jam band - not a prog band. Strangely enough around that time I was contacted by UM's manager because the band was looking to make more inroads into the prog rock community. Case in point their studio album Mantis was full on prog - not unlike something that Echolyn would have done.

I don't remember what the lineup was that year - it was kind of a mixed bag. Ticket sales were not up to par and the promoters were forced to cancel that year. The original promoters took the festival over for one final "we'll show you how its done" festival. Dubbed Nearfest Apocalypse it was an over the top way to go out. Festival sold out in seconds.

So in the aftermath of all that Umphrey's McGee were unfairly targeted as the poison that killed NEARfest. They seemed to have brushed it off and done quite fine for themselves. Nice bunch of guys to boot.

Now that's a band whose music I very much enjoy!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Ayreon - Universal Migrator: The Dream Sequencer - Part One (FLAC)

Ayreon_-_Dream_Sequencer Part 1.jpg

Reactions: tmiddle2

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It's been about a month and I need my fix!

Supertramp - Crime of the Century (Speakers Corner reissue)

Supertramp - Crime of the Century SC reissue.JPG

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Chillin' and just absorbing the sounds.....

Alan Parsons Project - I Robot CR.JPG Alan Parsons Project - The Turn of a Friendly Card.JPG APP - Pyramid.JPG APP - Tales of Mystery and Imagination MFSL.JPG

Tales of Mystery and Imagination - MFSL
I Robot - Classic Records
Pyramid - Arista Japan
The Turn of a Friendly Card - Classic Records

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Got a little bit of time before the Dubs game v. OKC, so gonna get into some vintage krautrock:

cover_39191928122008.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing