The power grid scam

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
The power grid scam
http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/open-discussion/power-grid-scam-33332.html#post375659
Starting September 2009, the European countries will gradually ban incandescent light bulbs, a process that will be completed in September 2012. If my information is correct, Australia, New Zealand and California have taken similar steps.
The reason for this major operation is the wish to reduce electricity consumption; European Union officials have calculated the reduction to be 40 Terrawatts in 2020 (when the last bulb has burnt out).

Preceding this decision, European countries have "harmonized" their power grid voltages. For most countries this meant they sneakily increased their 220 volts to 230, with the exception of the UK where they went 10 volts down.
A simple "tomorrow we increase the voltage" was impossible for technical and political reasons: there would have been too many complaints about motors running hot, TV sets burning out and so on.
The reasoning was that doing it gradually over several years would spread the effects and by the time the operation was completed, most of the old equipment would have been replaced.

So far so good, but whenever I measure the grid voltage at my wall sockets, there is not the promised 230 volts but at least 240, sometimes almost 250 volts!
Supplying 250 volts to a fridge, air conditioner or dishwasher designed for 220 doesn't make it work any better. With luck is only consumes 18% more electricity, without luck the motor dies. Of course it also shortens the life expectancy of light bulbs and any heating equipment.

This practice has been going on completely unnoticed for years already. Your electricity bill is 10-20% higher than necessary and now all light bulbs have to be replaced with something made in China that radiates a nasty blueish light but should save electricity!

Have you ever tried to unscrew such an energy saver after it has been switched on for half an hour? You'll burn your fingers: both the glass
and the socket are scorching hot.

Well, it won't change anything, but I had to get that off my chest.

Regards,
CDK

Can anyone verify/collaborate this information and his experience?

If true, this can't be good for Hi-Fi stereo equipment and expensive computer equipment either.

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
The power grid scam
http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/open-discussion/power-grid-scam-33332.html#post375659

Can anyone verify/collaborate this information and his experience?

If true, this can't be good for Hi-Fi stereo equipment and expensive computer equipment either.

+/-10% is common line Voltage tolerance, and the utility companies will in fact raise or lower the Voltage output to keep things running better through high and low demand periods. +10% on a 230V nominal would be 253V. In the USit is not uncommon to find some areas near distribution points during certain hours to read 125V or more. Most electronic devices are or should be designed to operate just fine over an expected +/-10% or more Voltage range. The effects of the wall Voltage being higher or lower will vary with the design and component type.

Of course a very high power amplifier has the potential to load down a long power run in a home to a greater percentage than the variations mentioned in the quote above. :rolleyes:

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
+/- 5% is the normal voltage tolerance for utilities here in America.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing