THE Show Report

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
jeff put on NY's live at massey hall for me. i was floored. so tangible and life like, that LP never touched me quite like that through other systems. of the several rooms with great sound, this was the one system i lusted for.

Sorry should have made it clear I was referring to the NY Show.

And he was probably using the A90 ;)

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
It was great to hear interesting vintage records played with such enthusiasm, I just can't listen to new audiophile recordings at shows anymore.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
It was great to hear interesting vintage records played with such enthusiasm, I just can't listen to new audiophile recordings at shows anymore.

Is it the recording or hearing the same audiophile reissues over and over again in every room at the show? Good thing is that is a repeatable source to compare rooms :)

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I bring my own music when I want to listen critically to system, usually classical and something with a female voice. I also really look for a show to find new music and experience unique music.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I also really look for a show to find new music and experience unique music.

Me as well.

Keith - I have never figured out how to audition most electronics at shows - particularly amps. I'm in a room I've never been in with (typically) a combination of products I either never heard or heard together with some cables I've never used. How do I isolate the amp sound (which I have also never heard) from all of the other variables? Just curious.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
What a fun weekend---.... I was amp shopping, make no doubt about it so particularly focused on that area.

KeithR :cool:

So...Did you find anything you liked as for your next amp decision KeithR? (thanks for the report by the way!)

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I've heard most of these speakers numerous times, so have an ok feeling on electronics--certainly would need a full demo in home to be ideal. For example, I've owned Wilson Sophias and have numerous friends who own Wilsons, so have a good point of reference. (or alternatively, I have owned the electronics like BAT) Usually a organic property to the sound is reflection of amp/speaker imo- and I play my own reference cuts, not vinyl or tape. A lot of rooms are now treating first reflections, so this also helps the comparisons.

Stuff like Scaena throws me a curve ball as I don't hear line arrays- and that is why Vac was difficult to assess. That room confused me in general as the sweet spot was much better, but outside of it was difficult to judge anything. I think this is the one thing I heard that I would like to hear again in a real home setup.

As far as an amp decision? I have been using a pair of Quad IIs Anniversaries on loan from a friend that I really enjoy....so I have a pair of II 40s coming in to try. I think Vac or BAT likely will be my next demo if that doesn't pan out.

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
didn't hear it, and the room i reference above was not it. sorry.

i used to love Dave Wilson's "surprises" in his room. Parasound stereo amp instead of Spectrals in the room perhaps was my favorite

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
^ Thanks Keith. Don't know how someone can make the awesome Stellas sound bad! Maybe the recording?

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
i heard the focals driven by devialet amps at the show and they sounded atrocious. they played some awful french pop music that didn’t help. this was a recurring theme in many rooms, they played mediocre recordings (sometimes of great music) that didnt necessarily promote what the were selling. there’s something to be said for audiophile recordings, everyone knows them and you have a fighting chance at getting good sound.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
i heard the focals driven by devialet amps at the show and they sounded atrocious. they played some awful french pop music that didn’t help. this was a recurring theme in many rooms, they played mediocre recordings (sometimes of great music) that didnt necessarily promote what the were selling. there’s something to be said for audiophile recordings, everyone knows them and you have a fighting chance at getting good sound.

I have not heard a Devialet-based system that I liked....but there is some great French music out there :)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
On the many occasions that I have heard Focal speaker's, I could never tell whether they would sound great or terrible. They seem to be EXTREMELY room dependent and ancillary gear is paramount in their presentation. ( IMO,more so than most any other speaker!).
Several years ago, I heard a Focal set up that was IMO at that time best sound at the show...since then they seem to have lost their way.:(

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
^ Thanks Keith. Don't know how someone can make the awesome Stellas sound bad! Maybe the recording?

I've always loved how the Focals sound, but this setup was bad. There was no soul and the sound was lifeless.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I've always loved how the Focals sound, but this setup was bad. There was no soul and the sound was lifeless.

Did you try and find out why?

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
My spouse and I have been to RMAF '09 (entire show run), T.H.E. Show/CA '11 (entire show run), and T.H.E. Show/CA '12 (entire show run).

The sound in the various rooms with sundry sources, amplification, cables, etc., never quite enthralled us. I recall a Focal rep soliciting our impression outside their room in Denver and our attempts to convey our observations absent adequate command of the "audiophile lexicon"...nebulous as it was, then, and remanins, now.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing