The Tres Amigos Ride Again-Telluride Blues and Brews Festival And Conquering The Mountain

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Back in Mountain Village we enjoyed a wonderful dinner of Thai food

The altitude was clearly affecting the 3 of us and in order to normalize us we each took a Diamox tablet before bed. Suffice it to say sleep was rare that night for all of us as we were up every hour peeing out buckets. For me it even went further as I was excreting the effects of the Diamox until almost dinner the following night

Nonetheless we all felt better the next day

Steve Williams

The next day (Tuesday) was somewhat rainy and overcast so we toured Mountain Village shops that morning and as the sky cleared we decided we were once again going to take the tram into Telluride and hike into the Box Canyon to see the water falls. This was a 5 mile hike and it seemed every 10 minutes I was look for a bush to pee inters the effect of the Diamox was still with me

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The photography is amazing!

Steve Williams

That evening the three of us had dinner in a local Italian restaurant as we called it an early night as the following day was looming large....our mountain bike trek down the mountain. I must admit I didn't sleep well that evening thinking about the next day

Steve Williams

I won't post further here on our Mountain Biking but refer you to Marty's thread here which says it all

https://whatsbestforum.com/threads/...n-listening-to-music.29003/page-2#post-598616

Previous to this mountain biking for me, my scariest moments were zip lining in the rain forests of Costa Rica above the tree canopy but I have to admit that this was for me my scariest moment. As folsom says, you have to keep your eyes ahead of you but truly when the trail along the mountain precipice is only 2-3 feet wide Have to admit I was scared $***less as one careless move could have me over the edge. This plus my fee of heights really got to me at over 10000 feet .As I've posted in the other thread, for me reaching the valley floor at 6000 feet was like winning the lottery. Along the wy I wiped out twice but the second was the worst as my pedal caught the side of a boulder and and I went flying and landed on my face. I thought I was dead or at the very least broken nose and no teeth. Fortunately and with the grace of God I came out unscathed as the beak of my helmet hit first and broke the fall. All I had were some soft tissue trauma and a sense of bruised humility

Russ wasn't colicky as he too took a nasty spill and sustained a large superficial cut and abrasion along his left cheek

Once down in the valley we were trucked back to Mountain Village were it took me a few hours and a lengthy stay in the hot tub to decompress

We were to go that night for our epic and final meal at Allred's which was in the tram station at the top of the mountain. It apparently is 5 star but all of us were so wiped out we canceled and went next door to have a hamburger

We called it an early evening as we were all exhausted and the next day we were traveling home

And so as the sun set the Tres Amigos hit the sack with bruises to their bodies and more so to their egos :)
Hopefully he will

In summary it was a whirlwind trip that was filled with surprises and many memories

marty as always was the consummate host and made our stay truly enjoyable. Two things I know for sure. High altitude and taking Diamox is not on my check list nor is Mountain biking. I enjoyed it as I had to overcome some of my demons

All in all as the sun set it was a magnificent trip.

Thank you Marty and Russ for reincarnating the Tres Amigos

Reactions: the sound of Tao

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Only seen Telluride with snow, can hardly recognize it in summer.:)!

david

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Looks like fun! My younger son was in Telluride briefly a week or two ago. He and some friends got dropped off the train in the wilderness south of Silverton, camped a few nights, did four 14er's in one day (!!!), then hiked back to the train for the trip out. They went through Telluride but ended up staying outside Ouray instead before heading home. Kind of stuff I always thought I'd do when we moved out but work and life interceded. Having just turned 60 last week Steve gives me hope that someday...

One question: can you put names to the faces in the opening picture of Marty's thread?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing