The truth about vinyl.vinyl vs digital

For me, the technical effort and the great work of making a vinyl record always puts a higher degree of love for the music in the back of my mind. That's why I think a lot of people prefer the analog long-playing record than a digital recording that is recorded relatively carelessly.
Sorry only in German. One of best of Europe Pallas in Osnabrück,Germany

Reactions: Al M. and MPS
For me, the technical effort and the great work of making a vinyl record always puts a higher degree of love for the music in the back of my mind. That's why I think a lot of people prefer the analog long-playing record than a digital recording that is recorded relatively carelessly.

Fascinating video, thank you!

Many engineers though would disagree on a technical level with the assertion of the analog expert ("der Analogexperte") at the end of the video that the LP has a "six times higher resolution" than the CD.

Regardless, while I am glad that this company takes care of vinyl pressings on such a dedicated, loving manner, this is not necessarily the rule. There are many mediocre LP pressings as well -- also from the age where analog still ruled.

As for "relatively carelessly recorded digital": there are good and mediocre recordings in both digital and analog. And whlie there are fantastic analog recordings, there are fantastic digital recordings as well. We should not be too quick to generalize.

So what. You can simply choose to ignore one of numerous A v D utube videos on the internet, which are by nature subjective, and focus on other issues.
When you tout yourself as an engineer and present scientific evidence you have gone beyond subjective

I can't just ignore it because it appears to be an intentional attempt to mislead.

Great clip.

Even here on WBF with extremely experienced members we have 100% subjective analysis of sound with little to no technical understanding and as a result some conclusions are made that have no basis in reality.

Dave, this is an interesting statement. Could you please elaborate and share some examples of what you mean by "conclusions...made that have no basis in reality?" I am trying to understand to what you are referring.

I find that a few very select lps can sound better than digital. Most lps don’t sound as good as cd or sacd.
It is much easier to get digital to sound great, you just buy the right gear, plug it in and press play. Analog on the other hand is more of an art. More difficult to get right (labels, pressings, condition, cleaning, proper tonearm/cartridge set up, etc), but much more rewarding when you do.

When you tout yourself as an engineer and present scientific evidence you have gone beyond subjective

I can't just ignore it because it appears to be an intentional attempt to mislead.

I don't think it's an intentional attempt to mislead, just ignorance about great vinyl replay.

In the same vein, I do not automatically assume intentional attempt to mislead when vinyl fans spout obvious nonsense about digital, even though I have sensitivities regarding technical misinformation on the subject, and at times have tried to correct it. It's often just plain ignorance -- even from analog fans who are "technical experts".

When the "analog expert" in above video about the vinyl pressing plant claims that the LP has "six times more resolution" ("sechs mal höhere Auflösung") than the CD, this is a technical assertion that is based on misinformation on digital, or misunderstanding of how digital works, as well. Many technical experts knowledgeable about digital would flatly reject his assertion -- on technical grounds. Do I think this "analog expert" is intentionally misleading? No.

Last edited:
Reactions: wil and DaveC
I don't think it's an intentional attempt to mislead, just ignorance about great vinyl replay.

In the same vein, I do not automatically assume intentional attempt to mislead when vinyl fans spout obvious nonsense about digital, even though I have sensitivities regarding technical misinformation on the subject, and at times have tried to correct it. It's often just plain ignorance -- even from analog fans who are "technical experts".

When the "analog expert" in above video about the vinyl pressing plant claims that the LP has "six times more resolution" ("sechs mal höhere Auflösung") than the CD, this is a technical assertion that is based on misinformation on digital, or misunderstanding of how digital works, as well. Many technical experts knowledgeable about digital would flatly reject his assertion -- on technical grounds. Do I think this "analog expert" is intentionally misleading? No.
I always thought there was 6.345 times more resolution….

what a ridiculous statement.

This phenomenon is so rampant, especially on the internet, that it’s no surprise it’s wormed it’s way into our hobby.

If you can’t ignore intentional attempts to mislead, the Internet is going to drive you insane…

Reactions: tima and Bobvin
Fascinating video, thank you!

Many engineers though would disagree on a technical level with the assertion of the analog expert ("der Analogexperte") at the end of the video that the LP has a "six times higher resolution" than the CD.

Regardless, while I am glad that this company takes care of vinyl pressings on such a dedicated, loving manner, this is not necessarily the rule. There are many mediocre LP pressings as well -- also from the age where analog still ruled.

As for "relatively carelessly recorded digital": there are good and mediocre recordings in both digital and analog. And whlie there are fantastic analog recordings, there are fantastic digital recordings as well. We should not be too quick to generalize.

I think, similar to my previous statement about folks drawing incorrect conclusions about why they hear what they hear, people draw incorrect conclusions and conflate the format with the mastering.

Fact is, you can make a digital rip of any analog recording, and if it's done well, the differences will be tiny and you really have to A/B test to get a handle on what's different. It's VERY close! But this doesn't work the other way around. I've compared vinyl vs digital on the same mastering as well and the differences are far more obvious.

Last edited:
Dave, this is an interesting statement. Could you please elaborate and share some examples of what you mean by "conclusions...made that have no basis in reality?" I am trying to understand to what you are referring.

What I mean is that people draw incorrect conclusions about why they hear what they hear. Those with little to no technical understanding of audio, combined with not understanding logic are far more likely to come to incorrect conclusions. An audio system is complex and it's very, very easy to draw incorrect conclusions. I think we have all drawn incorrect conclusions, myself included. Audio is akin to meditation in some ways, and there are different kinds of meditation. System analysis is akin to one type of meditation while listening is related to another. The world is full of ways to help you grow as a human being and audio is a good teacher at times.

While I sell cables, part of the process is helping a potential customer achieve an improvement, and this often has other aspects that need to be addressed besides cables. So I've gone through this with hundreds of people over the years. Sometimes it IS as simple as upgrading a cable but often there are other issues like AC power quality, room acoustics, even the hearing sensitivities of the listener come into play at times due to age or hearing damage, or a particular personal preference.

I'm not going to give specific examples because it may upset people, I am kinda surprised you'd ask me to do this. It's not my place to do so without an invitation from the person specifically asking for my opinion, and even then it's not usually done in a public post. If people are looking into making improvements in their system and want my advise on cabling and AC power I can do that in private, and if it involves other aspects of the system I'm happy to go there if it relates.

I can tell you subjective preference has a basis in real, objective truth whether folks want to believe it or not. When people deny this, it's akin to believing in magic. One definition of magic is a technology we don't understand. This is why you get statements from pure subjectivists like this:

It's actually measurements and technical hype that have no correlation to sound and ie reality!

The statement that measurements and "technical hype", which needs to be properly defined... maybe we can say it's technical specifications of a piece of gear? In any case, reality defines these things and defines the sound these things produce! The above statement is a massive logical fallacy, it makes no sense whatsoever. It is only our own failure to be able to correlate measurements to what we hear. In some cases like frequency response, this is really obvious and is proof that these kind of subjectivist statements are misguided and incorrect, a result of faulty logic and an incorrect assessment of how an audio system works, and in fact a faulty assessment of how facts and reality define our world.

High end sound reproduction is about sound quality which is both objective and subjective not measurements. It's actually measurements and technical hype that have no correlation to sound and ie reality!

Since you're science-ing it stating it as if they're facts expand on these "psychoacoustically preferred" distortions and artifacts? What are they, what specific frequencies and supporting data?

david

So, you reject any objective basis here:

"It's actually measurements and technical hype that have no correlation to sound and ie reality!"

Yet you want me to expand on an objective subject here?

"expand on these "psychoacoustically preferred" distortions and artifacts? What are they, what specific frequencies and supporting data?"

[personal criticism post deleted above]

Last edited by a moderator:
High end sound reproduction is about sound quality which is both objective and subjective not measurements. It's actually measurements and technical hype that have no correlation to sound and ie reality! [personal criticism post deleted above]

You can't be serious?? Both are equally important. Subjective opinions are not worth anything without some frame of reference.

I would trust measurements long before a subjective opinion of unknown origin and with no frame of reference. Buy frame of reference I mean a friend who you know well and have shared listening experience's with. I have several friends who's opinion's I have confidence in.

How do you do a objective comparison without a yardstick? Sounds like measurements to me?

Why would anyone put any stock in a You Tube video based on a random person's opinion??

Rob :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Imagine posing these same observations and questions to the guy who made that video. I would love to hear his response.

In my opinion, these are the kinds of things that need to be addressed and discussed to understand the debate between analog and digital and to move forward with improvements. We know measurements don’t tell us everything. Distortions are interesting things. We don’t all hear them the same way. Even if some people agree on what they are hearing, they don’t always agree on which sounds better or more realistic or more accurate.

Well said! We are like trying to herd cats!

Rob :)

Imo stereo reproduction is an an llusion in the mind of the listener. Hopefully that i
This phenomenon is so rampant, especially on the internet, that it’s no surprise it’s wormed it’s way into our hobby.

If you can’t ignore intentional attempts to mislead, the Internet is going to drive you insane…
"Inquiring about my mental status is a Hippa violation.'
You are basically correct. It does however require that a neophyte possess the requisite knowledge to recognize it for the bs it is.

The bottom line is there is a credible argument to made for digital. Imo this not one of them.

a few examples of these conclusions that have no basis in reality
WAF
WAF
WAF

You seem unusually blessed in many regards including this one Peter. Though I suspect the line would be drawn at a Japanese man taking up residence in your garden or nailing bare gypsum onto the walls of your home.

I don't think anyone here kids themselves anywhere approaching the level of widescale devotion given towards golden age analog exists currently in consumer digital. Beyond common sense would dictate that might be a few decades away as it was during the last pandemic. ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing