The Two Amigos Visit New Zealand-another 15000 Mile Epic Trip

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Steve: Glad you had a great time.

We (my wife and I and another couple) spent about 10 days driving around and across the south island 2 years ago.. It is an AMAZING place. Food was spectacular; scenery was spectacular; weather was spectacular; roads were excellent; the people were so very friendly.

While we were in Christ Church, there was a severe earthquake north of us and blocked one of the main roads (as you know, there are NOT a lot of ways to get around the island). Growing up in Southern California, I thought I was used to earthquakes. But this one was weird in that there was no up-down motions but rather side to side and front to back ---- all horizontally. An amazing experience (other than the flight there and back). We flew to Sydney, spent a couple of days there then flew to New Zealand).

Short of my multiple trips to Cinque Terre in Italy (and going again in May), easily one of the most beautiful places in the world

Reactions: RussR

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Tragic to think that terrorism even finds its way across the oceans to this marvellous country and it’s people.

Absolutely heartbroken to hear of the horrible loss of life in the Christchurch Mosque.

Here in Australia there have been many expressions of solidarity and love for our brothers and sisters in the great Islands to our East. For the 50 dead and 30 wounded in Christchurch and more still left in critical condition and for all their families I am just another Australian expressing my heartfelt grief at your impossible loss. Hatred is not the way forward for any of us. May the madness one day end.

RussR

Dec 30, 2017
Gold Coast ,Queensland,Australia
Tragic to think that terrorism even finds its way across the oceans to this marvellous country and it’s people.

Absolutely heartbroken to hear of the horrible loss of life in the Christchurch Mosque.

Here in Australia there have been many expressions of solidarity and love for our brothers and sisters in the great Islands to our East. For the 50 dead and 30 wounded in Christchurch and more still left in critical condition and for all their families I am just another Australian expressing my heartfelt grief at your impossible loss. Hatred is not the way forward for any of us. May the madness one day end.
Thank you Tao,
I have spoken to many family and friends back in Christchurch and the feeling of helplessness and shock is overwhelming along with the City being placed in a lockdown with schools and other institutions closed it seems very surreal to me as I watch this madness from a distance .I do know that in time the bigger picture of what this idiot and who backed him etc will be revealed as this terror act has huge implications on NZ and it's way of life, Very sad .I just cannot fathom how someone can be so cold ,callous and unfeeling as to do this to anyone let along young children .Words fail me but we have a Maori saying in NZ Kia Kaha meaning stay strong that is what Kiwi's must do.

Reactions: Steve Williams

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Russ,
The photos of some of the people killed in the Mosque showed people of all ages and among them a three year old child dead, people trying to protect their children, parents, brothers and sisters trying to shield each other. I hope New Zealand stays strong, this has been such a hateful and cowardly, cruel act. Madness it absolutely is and likely the true cause will actually just be in madness. Kia Kaha in great sadness to all.

jerrybj

Feb 27, 2022
New Zealand
I'm finding this thread very interesting Steve, even though I live in New Zealand.
I live in Wellington, but am drawn to the South Island (where both sides of my family came from).

Took a similar trip over summer (although the budget version).
Looks like we climbed the same mountain in Arthurs Pass.
Walked alongside Lake Wanaka too.
Stayed in Arrowtown (near Queenstown), which had my favourite meal of buttermilk chicken and smashed potatoes.

Two highlights of my trip.
Walking the Milford Track.
A tough four days tramping (hiking), but well worth it.
For recovery spent two nights in Curio Bay in The Catlins.
Twice stood out in the surf, as Hectors Dolphins swam past.

Also spent 12 days this time last year in Queenstown/Te Anau area.
Had always wanted to go on the steam boat Earnslaw as a kid, which I managed to do.
Took a boat trip out on Milford Sound as well.

Still have the rest of your South Island trip to read.

RussR

Dec 30, 2017
Gold Coast ,Queensland,Australia
I have been living in Australia on the Gold Coast for the last almost 5 years and at the end of August I shall return to Southland NZ .
I have had some challenges and some great times here but I am looking forward to going back home after all the covid madness ,lockdowns and border closures and to a new dedicated music room woohoo!!! I can't wait.

jerrybj

Feb 27, 2022
New Zealand
I have been living in Australia on the Gold Coast for the last almost 5 years and at the end of August I shall return to Southland NZ .
I have had some challenges and some great times here but I am looking forward to going back home after all the covid madness ,lockdowns and border closures and to a new dedicated music room woohoo!!! I can't wait.
Wow, Southland has changed!
Left there in 1974.

Still good people, even with all the changes.

Reactions: RussR

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing