The What Tonearm Are You Using Thread

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Using a JMW 9 on my VPI Scoutmaster. A little bit hard to adjust azimuth but when dialed in sounds very good. The Dr. Feickert tools are excellent.

Soundsmith Counter-intuitive. Best $50 you'll spend for the arm! Dialing in VTF and azimuth is a breeze! VTF can be adjust in 1/10 of a gram and adjusted by ear. Never been able to set azimuth more accurately and then adjust if need be by ear. Needless to say, can set one function without disturbing the other!!!

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I´ve had Airtangent Reference since 1993 and never looked back. Only mod is Audio Note silver AN300 armwire and extra carbon arm assembly.
Present cartridge is Lyra Titan "i" into Lyra Erodion transformer.missing nothing
best
Leif

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I´ve had Airtangent Reference since 1993 and never looked back. Only mod is Audio Note silver AN300 armwire and extra carbon arm assembly.
Present cartridge is Lyra Titan "i" into Lyra Erodion transformer.missing nothing
best
Leif

Great arm! Too bad Leif no longer makes it:( heard it many times over the years mounted with a Titan i and other cartridges on a friends VPI TNT. Extracted stuff from the grooves like no other. Do you have the standard version or the one with remote control VTA?

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I´ve got the Reference with Control unit with the big Hitachi display and the remote control for vta etc
the other is called 10B
I believe he´s got parts to make more arms, but the deal was to make a limited edition of only 100 units, and he´s kept the promise:cool:
a lot of prominent reviewers was begging to have a version of this ideal tool for evaluating cartridges and was too late
best
Leif

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
I'm using the Naim ARO on my LP12, which I feel has been a very synergistic match.

Attachments

• 004..jpg
    004..jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 1,200

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
Wow, I'm sorry everyone for the above photo showing up so large. I am so technically challenged that I am actually surprised that I was able to get a photo to show in the first place.

edit to add the following...
I'm not quite sure how to go about that. I am new to digital photography and posting photos on computers. I've always been a film person. When I uploaded from my computer I didn't notice an option for resizing. Maybe if you all don't mind, I will try again....

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Wow, I'm sorry everyone for the above photo showing up so large. I am so technically challenged that I am actually surprised that I was able to get a photo to show in the first place.

edit to add the following...
I'm not quite sure how to go about that. I am new to digital photography and posting photos on computers. I've always been a film person. When I uploaded from my computer I didn't notice an option for resizing. Maybe if you all don't mind, I will try again....

Some sites resize automatically; I don't think WBF does. So depending on whether you use a PC or Mac, need to resize before uploading. With a PC, you can use the Windows picture "photoshp." Very easy to use. On the Mac, you can try the iPhoto and go to the crop function and select the top option for 1200x800. Then the pictures will be smaller and viewable :)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The Naim Aro looks like a tonearm designed by a boilermaker.

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
Okay, with your patience, I'd like to give this another try and post a photo of my Naim ARO mounted on my Linn LP12 sitting on my diy wall shelf.

Hopefully this will work better than my first attempt. Here goes....

Attachments

• P1260162..jpg
    P1260162..jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 932

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
Hey, it worked! Thank you for your help and understanding as I try and catch up with the current century. Now, if I can remember how I did this, all will be well!

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
Some sites resize automatically; I don't think WBF does. So depending on whether you use a PC or Mac, need to resize before uploading. With a PC, you can use the Windows picture "photoshp." Very easy to use. On the Mac, you can try the iPhoto and go to the crop function and select the top option for 1200x800. Then the pictures will be smaller and viewable :)

Thank you Myles for your help and understanding. I truly do appreciate it!

Taksil

Feb 5, 2012
Sydney, Australia
FR-66s and FR-64s on a Micro RX-5000

trh8654

May 29, 2010
Virginia
Using the SME V

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
Fidelity Research FR-66s
The King of Arms

A superb performer with even the most demanding records ever made. The presentation of nuances, non smeared detail with a rock solid dynamic physical force delivers a unsurpassed alive sound picture.
This brilliant Arm provides a significant reduction in tracking error without incurring the typical resonance and control liabilities associated with longer arms. Music is reproduced effortlessly with superb transparency, sound staging, focus, realism and a superior dynamic range. It simply turns hi-fi into a musical event, enabling you to get lost in both the music and the performance.

The FR-66s represents the pinnacle of serious audio engineering, it takes no prisoners!

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Syntax,

I'm going to be reviewing in concert with the Onedof, the Ikeda arm and cartridge. If lineage is a consideration I expect similar magic to Syntax's impressions. I believe it will be the most beautiful table/arm set up in the world. The Onedof arrives today. Happy Easter!

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com
Clearaudio Linear Arms

I think the tonearms that have been overlooked are the new Clearaudio linear tracking arms the TT2 and the TT3. I have had both and while the TT2 can be considered costly it sits as my reference arm. I have the new Graham Phantom Supreme and it is surely a fine tonearm by any standard, love it too. However there just seems to be a little more silky, lively tonality from the TT2. I was told by the "authorities" that the Goldfinger cartridge would not work on the linear arms, too heavy. But I have been able, through some manipulations, to make it work perfectly no issues whatsoever.
What I like about a linear arm is (to my mind) it is simple, track a straight line, what more could you want. I also notice that the first track on an LP sounds as good as the last, great for making R2R tapes from vinyl!

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
Fidelity Research FR-66s
The King of Arms

A superb performer with even the most demanding records ever made. The presentation of nuances, non smeared detail with a rock solid dynamic physical force delivers a unsurpassed alive sound picture.
This brilliant Arm provides a significant reduction in tracking error without incurring the typical resonance and control liabilities associated with longer arms. Music is reproduced effortlessly with superb transparency, sound staging, focus, realism and a superior dynamic range. It simply turns hi-fi into a musical event, enabling you to get lost in both the music and the performance.

The FR-66s represents the pinnacle of serious audio engineering, it takes no prisoners!

HI Syntax,
How does it reduce tracking error when it, in fact, seems to use a conventional geometry? I would think it has the same error as any other pivoted arm, cheap or expensive. Which means it is non-optimal.

What type of pivot does it use? How is VTA adjusted?

Sparky

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I also notice that the first track on an LP sounds as good as the last, great for making R2R tapes from vinyl!

Greg,
I fully agree with you about the consistent sound quality from the begging to the end of the LP . I had a poor experience with mistracking in a Souther / Clearaudio TQ1 and moved to air bearings.
What type of modifications did you carry in your TT2?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing