The What Tonearm Are You Using Thread

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
FR-66s and FR-64s on a Micro RX-5000

Ditto...FR-66s and FR-64s riding a Seiki SX-8000.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Sparky, a friend I've been helping out for quite some time feels he's hit the bump stops, with the limitations of a pivoted arm. He's thinking seriously about a linear unit but doesn't have big financial resources. What would be your take on the value for money of the MG-1 unit, especially for someone who is willing to do plenty of fiddling, is not shy of tweaking?

Thanks,
Frank

trh8654

May 29, 2010
Virginia
I'm using the SME V arm. Right now have the Lyra Kleos mounted on it.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Am using Airline, thinking about going to 4Point. Like the Airline, hate the pump.

Pierre

Jun 18, 2012
Denmark
I`m just upgraded from a Kuzma Stogi to a Kuzma 4Point on my Raven One

dscf5940n.jpg

Pierre

Jun 18, 2012
Denmark
I`m using a Lyra Delos.

A first my plan was to have that upgraded also. But after the 4point has come, i`m not sure. The Delos does a great job when i sits on the 4point. So for now, it`s going to stay ;)

WntrMute2

Sep 23, 2010
Royal Oak, Michigan
Sparky, a friend I've been helping out for quite some time feels he's hit the bump stops, with the limitations of a pivoted arm. He's thinking seriously about a linear unit but doesn't have big financial resources. What would be your take on the value for money of the MG-1 unit, especially for someone who is willing to do plenty of fiddling, is not shy of tweaking?

Thanks,
Frank

[/QU
The Terminator T3 is a contender at $750 UK pounds (1,000 US.) Sold direct from Tranf-fi. Runs on air supplied by an aquarium pump. Easy to set-up, low maintenance, sounds fantastic. I don't know if it runs with "what's best", but it is close.

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico

Thanks,
Frank

[/QU
The Terminator T3 is a contender at $750 UK pounds (1,000 US.) Sold direct from Tranf-fi. Runs on air supplied by an aquarium pump. Easy to set-up, low maintenance, sounds fantastic. I don't know if it runs with "what's best", but it is close.

HI,
Please tell me what limitations your friend has run into and which is his best pivoted arm. Give me some perspective.

I am not all sure I can help. Other than seeing pictures of the arms you mentioned I have no direct knowledge. I think the basic design idea is clever. But I have doubts about the stability of the arm given the way the air cushion is developed. So, I can't give a recommendation. I do think a really good pivoted design with unipivot bearings would be better than a poor linear design. These things can only be determined by direct usage.

Honestly, I think your fiends best bet is the Eminent Technology ET2.5 arm. It has everything necessary to be a top performer and it is.

Wish I could be more help, Sparky

WntrMute2

Sep 23, 2010
Royal Oak, Michigan
HI,
I am not all sure I can help. Other than seeing pictures of the arms you mentioned I have no direct knowledge. I think the basic design idea is clever. But I have doubts about the stability of the arm given the way the air cushion is developed. So, I can't give a recommendation. I do think a really good pivoted design with unipivot bearings would be better than a poor linear design. These things can only be determined by direct usage.

The last line in your statement is the one that has validity IMHO. Basing your recommendation on pictures seems shaky at best. Of course you are correct in stating that good designs are better than poor ones. Without hearing the terminator tonearm, how can you form any meaningful opinion? Hearing this tonearm compares favorably with many top shelf tonearms including more than one, well set-up SME-V. No stability problems as this arm is running on less that 0.20 PSI and is perfectly stable. Great imaging, effortless tracking of warps and off center pressings. Easily adjustable for VTA on the fly. The low cost, I guess, makes it less than worthy of inclusion in this forum. Hard to believe that aa sub $1000.00 tonearm is as good as some of what is trotted out here.
2012-03-04_11-53-27_816.jpg

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
There's a guy over on the Gon named 'Spirit of Music,' I think, who has been posting to Mike Lavigne's system thread about this arm. He loves it.
I use the Kuzma Airline. It's great, but the pump is a PITA.

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
The last line in your statement is the one that has validity IMHO. Basing your recommendation on pictures seems shaky at best. Of course you are correct in stating that good designs are better than poor ones. Without hearing the terminator tonearm, how can you form any meaningful opinion? Hearing this tonearm compares favorably with many top shelf tonearms including more than one, well set-up SME-V. No stability problems as this arm is running on less that 0.20 PSI and is perfectly stable. Great imaging, effortless tracking of warps and off center pressings. Easily adjustable for VTA on the fly. The low cost, I guess, makes it less than worthy of inclusion in this forum. Hard to believe that aa sub $1000.00 tonearm is as good as some of what is trotted out here.
View attachment 4619

HI Wntr,
I totally agree with my statement. As for your biases, I say go with them if you are so attached. What the hell, it's only money. Personally, I'm not interested.
But, you did ask for my views. And now that I have given them you are going to argue with me. Well, I'm not going to argue with you.

Sparky

WntrMute2

Sep 23, 2010
Royal Oak, Michigan
HI Wntr,
I totally agree with my statement. As for your biases, I say go with them if you are so attached. What the hell, it's only money. Personally, I'm not interested.
But, you did ask for my views. And now that I have given them you are going to argue with me. Well, I'm not going to argue with you.

Sparky

You agree with your statement? Typo or just funny! Anyway, I did not ask for your opinion regarding this arm. The poster asked for recommendations for linear tracking arms that were reasonably priced. This clearly fits the bill and is surprisingly good. This is not just my opinion, many of our "club" members have heard it and all are impressed. I have both this arm as well as the SME-V so comparisons are possible. You?

theophile

12 Inch SAEC?

Looks great with the straight arm tube.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That is one formidable looking arm you've got there!

Young Skywalker

Apr 30, 2012
I am using the AXIOM tonearm by Acoustical Systems and the Brinkmann Audio 12.1 tonearm. Here is a photo showing both on display at the recent 2013 Australian Audio & AV Show.

1377159_725677634115226_2071499372_n.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing