TimbreDynamics Cable Lifters

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It is always fun to research even small elements of one's future stereo system. I found today a fabricator of what I think are beautiful and functional walnut cable lifters.

Mike Goppert, proprietor of TimbreDynamics, makes cable lifters. He will customize to satisfy specific requests.

They are quite heavy, and will not be tipped over even by heavy cables. Mike can substitute the standard felt on the bottom with Sorbothane.

5C865F37-7628-47A5-9B69-2468CBD616B7.jpeg

3C72C6B2-047D-4FD0-A688-02F7935B5A25.jpeg

From Mike's Etsy page:

Materials:

American Walnut, Urethane, Black Marble, Felt, Chrome metal

Description:

An attractive and highly functional audio cable management system made from the finest materials. The cable platform is made from 1.5'' (38mm) high-quality handcrafted American walnut butcher block hardwood. Includes a 1.5'' (38mm) tall marble base which makes for a solid heavy-duty platform on any surface. Designed to hold both ribbon and round cable. The circular opening can carry up to 1.25'' (32mm) round cable and is large enough to thread any standard size XLR/Neutrix connector. This will make a beautiful way to finish out any high-end system.

Standard Features:

Solid hardwood butcher block cable management
Heavy-duty black marble base with soft felt base padding
Ribbon and Round cable management
- Ribbon cable slot width: .25'' (6.4mm)
- Circular hole diameter: 1.33'' (34mm)

Options:

Choice of Wood Finish (Natural or Dark Walnut)

Last edited:
Reactions: Alrainbow

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Cable lifters are counter intuitive! What’s good about uneven support of a cable and stressing out the sagging sections in between the lifters given the weight of many so called audiophile wires?

david
And why is it OK for cables to rest on lifters but not on rack or floor surfaces? How do the electrons behave differently in one scenario vs the other?

Questions aside, these do look like robust lifters that won't be dragged around by the cables themselves. When I see most systems with lifters, they appear to me to be a sneeze away from toppling over. These things look weighty, and I could see some use in directing stubborn cables into a desired orientation.

Last edited:
Reactions: loki1957 and gleeds

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Cable lifters have two simple practical purposes for me:

1) They prevent me from stepping on my cables. Trivial but important.
2) They help to physically separate signal cables from power cables.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
As long as the lifters do something to minimize the vibration then I consider them good from a design perspective. But honestly I use them to try and prevent my non-audiophile friends from stepping on the cables. :oops:

Reactions: Scott W

StreamFidelity

Jun 30, 2020
Rostock, Germany
griggaudio.de
And why is it OK for cables to rest on lifters but not on rack or floor surfaces? How do the electrons behave differently in one scenario vs the other?

Cable lifters reduce the coupling capacity, which takes place via the floor. If you lift the cable, the gain is instant, and capacitive coupling is reduced. This can be measured. See hifi today (written in German)

In addition, speakers move a lot of air and cause vibrations. Nobody wants a vibrating speaker cord on the amplifier.

For these reasons, cable lifters are essential hi-fi accessories for me.

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
Reactions: Ron Resnick

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Cable lifters reduce the coupling capacity, which takes place via the floor. If you lift the cable, the gain is instant, and capacitive coupling is reduced. This can be measured. See hifi today (written in German)

In addition, speakers move a lot of air and cause vibrations. Nobody wants a vibrating speaker cord on the amplifier.

For these reasons, cable lifters are essential hi-fi accessories for me.
Agree!

Roger Skoff, past designer of XLO and currently the designer/owner of RSX Technologies has written a short piece on cable lifters on Positive Feedback Magazine :

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Cable lifters have two simple practical purposes for me:

1) They prevent me from stepping on my cables. Trivial but important.
2) They help to physically separate signal cables from power cables.
Totally agree. It is very useful to cross the signal cable to power cable at 90 degrees.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
As long as cable lifters don't do any damage to the sound, isn't it enough that they make our spiders' webs of cables look a little bit more neat and organized?

I agree with the people who suggest that getting the cables off the floor makes them less likely to get stepped on or vacuumed over.

Last edited:
Reactions: gleeds

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
It is always fun to research even small elements of one's future stereo system. I found today a fabricator of what I think are beautiful and functional walnut cable lifters.

Mike Goppert, proprietor of TimbreDynamics, makes cable lifters. He will customize to satisfy specific requests.

They are quite heavy, and will not be tipped over even by heavy cables. Mike can substitute the standard felt on the bottom with Sorbothane.

View attachment 74050

View attachment 74051

From Mike's Etsy page:

Materials:

American Walnut, Urethane, Black Marble, Felt, Chrome metal

Description:

An attractive and highly functional audio cable management system made from the finest materials. The cable platform is made from 1.5'' (38mm) high-quality handcrafted American walnut butcher block hardwood. Includes a 1.5'' (38mm) tall marble base which makes for a solid heavy-duty platform on any surface. Designed to hold both ribbon and round cable. The circular opening can carry up to 1.25'' (32mm) round cable and is large enough to thread any standard size XLR/Neutrix connector. This will make a beautiful way to finish out any high-end system.

Standard Features:

Solid hardwood butcher block cable management
Heavy-duty black marble base with soft felt base padding
Ribbon and Round cable management
- Ribbon cable slot width: .25'' (6.4mm)
- Circular hole diameter: 1.33'' (34mm)

Options:

Choice of Wood Finish (Natural or Dark Walnut)

Where is the "chrome metal" material being used on these cable platforms?
Can customers specify to remove the 'chrome metal" or any other metallic parts completely from the platform?

Reactions: analogsa

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Where is the "chrome metal" material being used on these cable platforms?
Can customers specify to remove the 'chrome metal" or any other metallic parts completely from the platform?

I don't know. You would have to contact the manufacturer.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
As long as cable lifters don't do any damage to the sound, isn't it enough that they make our spiders' webs of cables look a little bit more neat and organized?

I agree with the people who suggest that getting the cables off the floor makes them less likely to get stepped on or vacuumed over.
Sometimes I feel it is considered wrong when something ADDS to sound. Everything should be pure etc. But sometimes the addition of something is a positive thing. Like the Furutech NCF boosters. They add transparancy, "reall-ness"to the sound. That they also just lift cables and look nice is a bonus:)

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Any metallic materials introduced into the proximity nearby signal carrying cables are going to change the cables' sound. For precisely this reason I'm getting interested in these lifters.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
It is always fun to research even small elements of one's future stereo system.

Ron, is there something fundamentally different about this design that appeals to you such as (nearly) fully encircling the cable? Suspect with amount of focus devoted towards completion of your listening room I might not have arrived at the same conclusions. By asking up front the hope is to avoid contaminating your response.

Personally, just keep coming back to the large keyhole. Design wise it creates unresolved tension. Apologies to ddk if he felt the existence of more than addressing his point with humor. I just cannot look at those cable lifters without seeing distinctly non-analog visual trickery. Either a single cable centered in dead space or multiple cables entering and leaving in different directions without contact. At the same time I fully expect these lifters would be very presentable in listening space they seem destined towards.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, is there something fundamentally different about this design that appeals to you such as (nearly) fully encircling the cable? Suspect with amount of focus devoted towards completion of your listening room I might not have arrived at the same conclusions. By asking up front the hope is to avoid contaminating your response.

Personally, just keep coming back to the large keyhole. Design wise it creates unresolved tension. Apologies to ddk if he felt the existence of more than addressing his point with humor. I just cannot look at those cable lifters without seeing distinctly non-analog visual trickery. Either a single cable centered in dead space or multiple cables entering and leaving in different directions without contact. At the same time I fully expect these lifters would be very presentable in listening space they seem destined towards.

Purely aesthetically, I like the black marble base; I like the walnut butcher block; I like that Mike will replace the felt on the bottom with a layer of Sorbothane. (I would like a visco-elastic absorption layer somewhere between the cable and the hard floor.)

I, personally, don't care for the keyhole. The slot, I suspect, is for a ribbon cable (which I don't happen to use).

If I order these I would ask Mike to cut off the keyhole so that the cable rests in a concave half circle which is fully open at the top.

Last edited:
Reactions: rando

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
These are obviously not for power cords?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Mike told me that he can make the hole larger.

I think I would just ask him to cut the keyhole in half to moot the issue.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing