Top Vintage system

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
The truly great vintage is pretty costly these days.

Good vintage, if you know what to hunt for, can be a deal.

One day I would like to assemble a little system based on old broadcast modules ( a Siemens / Telefunken V set ). I wouldn't expect it to topple giants but I have a thing for old industrial / studio gear...
I'm still holding on to unused gear I purchased at the nadir of the tube era in the 80s. I have a pair of McIntosh MC30s (paid $150), Fisher 400B & Fisher 500B (paid $125 each in mint condition). Marantz 7C (paid $75), Dynaco ST70 w/Mullard EL34s (paid $400) and smaller items whose values have escalated substantially. Their current prices really astound me. However, as to CD players, I sold my $3500 Muse Signature 9 last year in almost unused condition for $500-older CD players, even high end one's have plummeted in value.

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
There are a few speakers I’d consider in that list but none of the electronics.

david
Concur...(actually Any of the speakers listed could work, and very well indeed, with the right electronics)
Cheers......

Reactions: ddk
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
There are a few speakers I’d consider in that list but none of the electronics.

david
I had 4 xRowland M-7s on Apogee Dax/Diva system in the early 90s and it was nothing wrong with that
before that Acoustat Monitor X, large Paragon tube pre with Cotter B1/Dp6000/FR66FxB60 and Linn Karma
before that in late 70s/early 80s several friends had Beveridge incl Kavi Alexander when we lived in Stockholm
plenty of nice stuff
I´ve also had ML20,6

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I had 4 xRowland M-7s on Apogee Dax/Diva system in the early 90s and it was nothing wrong with that
before that Acoustat Monitor X, large Paragon tube pre with Cotter B1/Dp6000/FR66FxB60 and Linn Karma
before that in late 70s/early 80s several friends had Beveridge incl Kavi Alexander when we lived in Stockholm
plenty of nice stuff
I´ve also had ML20,6
Before the Bionors the Apogee Divas were my longest running speakers, I loved them for close to 10 years over all other speakers I heard and owned at the time! I didn't like the DAX but bi-wired them with two pairs of VTL Ichibans, then switched to ARC Ref 600 which sucked, then Levinson 33's the first amplifiers that actually drove them and I found out about DIVA's fabulous bass. Next and last iteration was with two pairs of Lamm M2.1 amps, the best sound I had heard but then came Lamm ML2 SET that turned everything I knew around. Along the way I owned Apogee Grands with Krell Audio Standards and whatever their top of the line preamp was at the time, horrible combination! I must admit to never liking any Rowland or Levinson electronics aside from the 33's.

david

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
In the late 80's I ran Divas/Dax with four VTL 300's and and SP11 with a Linn LP12 and a Well Tempered TT. At the time I LOVED it. It was in a small room and I used to knock pictures off the wall playing "Dark Side of the Moon".

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
In the late 80's I ran Divas/Dax with four VTL 300's and and SP11 with a Linn LP12 and a Well Tempered TT. At the time I LOVED it. It was in a small room and I used to knock pictures off the wall playing "Dark Side of the Moon".
I had the LP12 & Well Tempered Reference too!

david

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
The 4 M7 drove the Divas extremely well...also had Rowland pre and phonostage, Basis Ovation with Wheaton and Rowland Complement and my belowed Day Sequerra, which I still have

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The number of planar speakers in the OP is interesting. Having spent quite a bit time working with 8 Acoustat panels and modified Servo-Charge amps I can say with some authority that there was tremendous potential there. With carefully designed and built hardwood frames and someone like the late Roger Modjeski to fine tune the amps I feel they could equal or best almost any SoundLab or ML model; unfortunately that never happened. Something similar could apply to Beveridge, and although the Beveridge family keeps working on it I’m not sure they are really getting anywhere

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I had the LP12 & Well Tempered Reference too!

david
At the time they were pretty good:) Actually if you set all that up now it would still be a fun system and sound VG.

Reactions: ddk

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
plenty of nice stuff
I´ve also had ML20,6
Also my friend had M7 with Diva

OT my son graduate in october and now is working in Stockholm in one big company producing special battery,he like a lot live there

Reactions: bonzo75
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
several in Stockholm had Beveridge so I had extended experience with them, also technically
the directcouled amps tended to be unstable...a friend in Oslo blew them properly once and I could´nt figure out how to fix...
at that time I was selling Siemens computers and I contacted the x-ray division and finally got hold of some 8KV diodes...after that the amps behaved :D
but only after having gotten 3KV through my wristwatch because the diode fault led positive to chassis!
it smelled bacon afterwords :eek:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The number of planar speakers in the OP is interesting. Having spent quite a bit time working with 8 Acoustat panels and modified Servo-Charge amps I can say with some authority that there was tremendous potential there. With carefully designed and built hardwood frames and someone like the late Roger Modjeski to fine tune the amps I feel they could equal or best almost any SoundLab or ML model; unfortunately that never happened. Something similar could apply to Beveridge, and although the Beveridge family keeps working on it I’m not sure they are really getting anywhere
THere was a company in Holland (Twinstatic audio) that made mods to the servocharge amps and even had their own (based on the Servo Charge I think), so it would be possible to direct drive the Acoustats again with better reliability and sound...or even other brands of Estats.

Reactions: rbbert

assessor43

Nov 1, 2018
a friend of mine has a nice vintage system we listen to a couple nights a week. Vintage Mcintosh pre and amp, Dual 1019, Big Bozak speakers, and a seventies vintage B & O turntable.

Walnut Horns

May 11, 2015
I really enjoyed my Naimed LP12 fronted active Linn Isobariks. A super fun system to listen to, especially given the music I was listening to at the time.

davenrk

Nov 27, 2020
Could you please suggest me some old or relatively old fantastic speakers, you could buy at an affordable price now, 3.000/6.000 euro, not very very big, to be powered by a Swiss Physics 6A 160w pure class A amp?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing