Totaldac Amp-1 poweramp debuted at Munich Hi-end 2019

I would like to open a thread on the new Totaldac Amp-1 poweramp on the WBF Amp/Preamp Forum.

Here is its specifications and pricings :
http://www.totaldac.com/amp-1-en.htm

The Amp-1 was debuted at the Munich Hi-end 2019 held earlier this month :
https://www.monoandstereo.com/2019/05/totaldac-world-premiere-of-amp-1.html#more

Despite Amp-1 is the first poweramp of Totaldac, it has received many praises, from both Munich show visitors & reviews/media.
There were 3 sets of Magico M6 loudspeaker at the Munich 2019, paired up with diff amps. Many of the show visitors opined that the M6 driven by Amp-1 gave the best/most musical/most enjoyable performance.

Here is one of the praising professional reviews :
https://www.audiostream.com/content/high-end-munich-2019-totaldac-brings-totalpower-dac-line

I very much hope that the HK Totaldac dealer will get an Amp-1 for demo very soon.
I have full confidence in its performance.
Also, the pricing of Amp-1 is reasonable, considering that its performance is on par with flagship poweramps of other brands which can be 2 or 3 times more expensive!
:D totaldac_amp-1_front.jpg

Last edited:
This can depends also on your source, if it is better for unbalanced or balanced output, because the stereo version of the Amp-1 accepts only unbalanced interconnects while the monobloc version accepts only balanced interconnects.

I have not yet made the test with balanced d1-driver and the mono version of Amp-1 sorry.

This would depends also on the size of you room and the maximum spl ou need. On a medium sized room the stereo version has no real limit with the M6, it drives it with ease and can play loud.

An easy way to try damping the heat sinks on any amp is to use Gaffers tape or Duct tape. Gaffers will leave no residue. Duct tape might but can be easily removed. They may not be as effective as thicker damping material like EARSD40L but it will probably do something good. Since the Totaldac amp does not run that hot you could cover all the outside edges of the fins with the tape. It would take three minutes to apply and then listen......I know, you don't have the time.....he he.

The only time I listened to balanced versus single ended it was super clear that balanced was better. This was using the same source and amp (both could be run either way) and using the same exact brand/version of interconnect. Even in the kitchen I heard more realistic sound via balanced. If I were Vincent I would certainly want to try the full balanced system.

By the way, just noticed the cables on the floor in the above pictures. This I cannot understand. The imaging is way, way, way better with ALL cables off the floor (carpeted or not). Please get your cables off the floor, your ears will love it.

By the way, just noticed the cables on the floor in the above pictures. This I cannot understand. The imaging is way, way, way better with ALL cables off the floor (carpeted or not). Please get your cables off the floor, your ears will love it.

On carpet definitely but have you found this true on hardwood or engineered wood floors too? I have not heard a noticeable diff but do it anyway.

Looking at the pics I would also suggest separating the cables by a few inches and if they must cross, do so at 90 degree angles...

I have tested the Amp-1 in balanced monobloc version on the Magico M6.
Honestly I don't think that this extra power is really needed for the 91dB M6.
I didn't feel a real improvement, 2*300W 4ohm and 2*500W 2ohm of the stereo Amp-1 is vastly enough for my listening test with M6, because the drive capability and power supply stability is more important than a very high un-used power. I don't even go to the max power of the stereo Amp-1.
For very low efficiency speakers is might be different.

I have also compared with and without my custom impedance network to make the impedance of the M6 more flat, and definitely this is an improvement.
Using the d1-driver in monobloc configuration helped also, so two d1-driver, one for each channel.

I have tested the Amp-1 in balanced monobloc version on the Magico M6.
Honestly I don't think that this extra power is really needed for the 91dB M6.
I didn't feel a real improvement, 2*300W 4ohm and 2*500W 2ohm of the stereo Amp-1 is vastly enough for my listening test with M6, because the drive capability and power supply stability is more important than a very high un-used power. I don't even go to the max power of the stereo Amp-1.
For very low efficiency speakers is might be different.

I have also compared with and without my custom impedance network to make the impedance of the M6 more flat, and definitely this is an improvement.
Using the d1-driver in monobloc configuration helped also, so two d1-driver, one for each channel.

Hi all,
Well, I would not say it suits me but that's the case! ...
my stereo Amp-1 makes an incredible job and offer him his twin was not on the program, hihi ... thank you Vincent!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing