Trans Fi Salvation rim drive tt and Terminator air-bearing linear tracking arm

Finally after 22 long months, I get my analog rig reinstalled. If there’s any interest in it, I’m very happy to chat further.
To kick off, here’s the link to the designer’s web page:

www.trans-fi.com Step009.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It does, I believe there are multiple stylus options. I did upgrade to the "top" option, SDS-6, ruby version, the last time I ordered replacement stylii, 4 years ago.
Not one area where the old stylus profile was superior.

Reactions: pjwd
It does, I believe there are multiple stylus options. I did upgrade to the "top" option, SDS-6, ruby version, the last time I ordered replacement stylii, 4 years ago.
Not one area where the old stylus profile was superior.
Maybe a elliptical cut for the not so stellar recording. How much are the replacement stylli ?

Marc, maybe you just have a comfort zone when it comes to clarity/treble energy with these recordings. It seems whenever you reach a certain point where the good recordings are best represented, the bad ones show their warts. And you immediately find a way to dial it back, this time you did it by reducing treble reflection from your eaves. I still think you would be happier with 2 different cartridges for good and not so good recordings.:rolleyes: A nice comfy cartridge that holds back a little treble , and emphasize and rounds up the bass a little would do the trick !
Milan, the issue was needing MORE bite/less boxiness in my (now challenging) stock faves, not smoothing them out.
I believe preamp tubes with a hint more treble energy presentation, and reducing harshness w the eaves treatments, is achieving a better outcome.

Maybe a elliptical cut for the not so stellar recording. How much are the replacement stylli ?
$950 each.
But remember Milan, a more rounded less energetic presentation is imho not the solution. So I'm likely to stick w these SGS-6 stylii in my order this year.
Appreciate the suggestion.

In a couple of weeks time, I'll swap out the Siemens E88CCs from my preamp and switch in the Mazdas Mullards 6DJ8s.
They have a slightly warmer presentation.
I'll be able to fully gauge the effects of my PETs eaves panels as a result.
And this will tell me how much of my current uptick is tubes or treatments.

Milan, the issue was needing MORE bite/less boxiness in my (now challenging) stock faves, not smoothing them out.
I believe preamp tubes with a hint more treble energy presentation, and reducing harshness w the eaves treatments, is achieving a better outcome.
I did want to ask you what you meant with " boxinees" in the presentation ? It seems to me you are trying to make your system present something that is maybe not in the recordings, wich is fine, but will then also be added to your other good recordings, if you do it in the cable, amp, preamp or room treatment section.

Milan, the one thing I'm really achieving is no "sameness" between recordings. 95% of my classical and jazz is way more free of my spkrs, a good proportion of rock is too.
My issue is that some rock LPs are really jarring in how unappetizing they sound. Living Colour "Pride" is a good example. I "seem" to remember it as not brilliant, but it feels really lacking in air, treble energy, compared to when I last listened to it in my more homogenous pre-2015 system/room. As a result, boxed in and fettered.
These kind of albums have caused more than one head scratching moment.
So I've attempted to try a few ways to see if I'm somehow restricting greater performance w these testing albums.
And the results today bear out that I can make these kind of albums sound juicier and more organic.
No, Pride is never gonna be DSOTM, I just don't want them light years apart.
I'm getting there, without any compromise to my Ravel or Miles.

Last edited:
Milan, the one thing I'm really achieving is no "sameness" between recordings. 95% of my classical and jazz is way more free of my spkrs, a good proportion of rock is too.
My issue is that some rock LPs are really jarring in how unappetizing they sound. Living Colour "Pride" is a good example. I "seem" to remember it as not brilliant, but it feels really lacking in air, treble energy. As a result, boxed in and fettered.
These kind of albums have caused more than one head scratching moment.
So I've attempted to try a few ways to see if I'm somehow restricting greater performance w these testing albums.
And the results today bear out that I can make these kind of albums sound juicier and more organic.
No, Pride is never gonna be DSOTM, I just don't want them light years apart.
I'm getting there, without any compromise to my Ravel or Miles.
The problem is that on a lot of the early digital recordings, and on some analog ones made on not very good/transparent mixer/mastering pults or if the record has been overproduced or manipulated the information you are seeking is simply not embedded in the recordings.

But I could swear I heard it before. I remain a budding drummer, cymbals and percussion, snare drum attack/tone, are touchstones for my assessment of SQ.
How can my new system bring Tony Williams into my room on Miles Smiles, more everything, definition, sparkle, attack, reverb...and next album, bury Living Colour drummer William Calhoun in a ditch of grey brickwalled lack of everything?
How can I hear way more than before on one album, then way less than before on the next?

But I could swear I heard it before. I remain a budding drummer, cymbals and percussion, snare drum attack/tone, are touchstones for my assessment of SQ.
How can my new system bring Tony Williams into my room on Miles Smiles, more everything, definition, sparkle, attack, reverb...and next album, bury Living Colour drummer William Calhoun in a ditch of grey brickwalled lack of everything?
How can I hear way more than before on one album, then way less than before on the next?
Because your system was previously adding a little extra to the bad recordings, and muddying up the good ones ! I am speculating of coarse, its not like you have ever described the sound of your system the last couple of years Marc :rolleyes:

Nope. Never have so many words been used to describe anything Lol. I suspect
1...my aural memory on this is not as reliable as I'd like to think
2...that extra layer of euphonic coloration probably covered up a multitude of sins, hazing over lack of specific musical information.

Kinda like Peppercorn Sauce masking how tough that piece of Rump Steak was. And then that same sauce on my Apple Pie and IceCream.

Reactions: Lagonda
Nope. Never have so many words been used to describe anything Lol. I suspect
1...my aural memory on this is not as reliable as I'd like to think
2...that extra layer of euphonic coloration probably covered up a multitude of sins, hazing over lack of specific musical information.

Kinda like Peppercorn Sauce masking how tough that piece of Rump Steak was. And then that same sauce on my Apple Pie and IceCream.
LOL ! :)

Milan, things really came together today. Moments of harshness were way less, my workaday albums were much more expressive and extended (while not sugar coated as in the past), the good stuff was superlative, and the stellar stuff was, well, off the scale. Replicated on CD too. My current choice of preamp tubes is wholly positive, and it seems like dealing w eaves reflections is proving a late system evolution bonus.

Last edited:
Reactions: pjwd and Lagonda
Milan, things really came together today. Moments of harshness were way less, my workaday albums were much more expressive and extended (while not sugar coated as in the past), the good stuff was superlative, and the stellar stuff was, well, off the scale. Replicated on CD too. My current choice of preamp tubes is wholly positive, and it seems like dealing w eaves reflections is proving a late system evolution bonus.
Marc
I think this is a familiar road ... you change something and all your ecm albums sound amazing and CCR et all sound crap
I think you can mostly always assume this change has revealed other weaknesses and deeeerp thought is required .. of course nothing is going to really fix those terribly compressed old clunkers
Improved clarity isn ever a nackward step in my experience
Cheers
Phil

Just a posting to say that a tentative project underway with my Salvation rim drive. Member jw67 here, Jonathan, has been in contact with me regarding a Permali/aluminium sandwich plinth plus arm mount to replace the existing slate plinth and aluminium arm mount.
I had been in two, or is that three, minds about this, but my eye had been turned by hearing the amazing results of Montesquieu/Tom's Permali-heavy modded Thorens 124.
And Jonathan's description of the project and resultant improved SQ over stock plinth really appealed.
And so here I am, putting a down payment towards a pretty drastic change, to add to the SOTA motor/Farad LPS, and New Terminator LT arm changes of the last 3 years.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing