Transparent SC new (G6) but low level (ultra) vs. old (MM2) but high level (Ref XL)

truongv0ky

Apr 1, 2024
Vietnam
I am finding a Transparent speaker cables for my system of Sabrina X and Pass Labs class A. My dac is dcs Bartok. Could u suggest which TA cable is best to suit with my system. There are 2 options for me now:
1. Ultra G6
2. Ref XL MM2 but price is 40% higher
What are the differences between them
Thx.

I generally found that the G6 is like a level or two upgrade over previous transparent levels so an Ultra G6 is better than an Reference g5. Ultra G6 is a seriously good cable.

Sorry I can't provide a specific difference on those two cables.

Reactions: truongv0ky
I generally found that the G6 is like a level or two upgrade over previous transparent levels so an Ultra G6 is better than an Reference g5. Ultra G6 is a seriously good cable.

Sorry I can't provide a specific difference on those two cables.
Oh. Interesting. Have u had a chance to compare them AB between g6 ultra and g5 ref

Hi sorry no. Transparent has a lot of cables so the odds of finding someone AB your exact versions is tough. If you're going through a dealer, they should be able to let you demo an Ultra G6, this will be well worth your time...

Hi sorry no. Transparent has a lot of cables so the odds of finding someone AB your exact versions is tough. If you're going through a dealer, they should be able to let you demo an Ultra G6, this will be well worth your time...
Yeah. No need the exact version but would you mind sharing any other experience with MM2, G5, or G6.
I am only wondering because Ref level might have bigger gap with Ultra than Ultra vs Super, etc...Ref level might have specific characteristics that Ultra G6 never has.
In the opposite words, G6 seems to have lower noise, more detail, and might represent best the new generation speakers' capabilities. :)

P/S: your system in the signature is .. wow

Last edited:
I had MM5 Opus, then Gen 5 Opus, then Gen 5 Magnum Opus then Gen 6 Magnum Opus.

In general terms each improvement leads to a quieter background allowing more detail, spatial clues, and realness (that pull you into the music thing that is hard to describe). I'll also add the bass always gets better, deeper, more palpable. Each level is clearly heard, no need for a AB. If you do a AB you listen for a few songs and just go back to the better cable.

Thanks on my system, been a long long road, and way to much $$ :)

I had MM5 Opus, then Gen 5 Opus, then Gen 5 Magnum Opus then Gen 6 Magnum Opus.

In general terms each improvement leads to a quieter background allowing more detail, spatial clues, and realness (that pull you into the music thing that is hard to describe). I'll also add the bass always gets better, deeper, more palpable. Each level is clearly heard, no need for a AB. If you do a AB you listen for a few songs and just go back to the better cable.

Thanks on my system, been a long long road, and way to much $$ :)
Very useful information. Just one last question. In the thread: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...transparent-opus-mm2-mini-review.17332/page-6, you shared that Gen 5 Ref SC is better than Ref XL MM2. And also in the above, Ultra Gen 6 is better than Gen 5 Ref. So may I conclude that Ultra Gen 6 speaker cable is better than Ref XL MM2?

That is a tougher leap. I'd say equivalent in some areas better in some, net net edge to the Ultra G6 even though 2 levels below and 2 generations below.

As you can see, I've been around with Transparent a long time. I love the upgrade program, so you can trade up over time easily and get nearly guaranteed trade in values... vs reselling on a website

Hi,
After discussing with you, I decided not only to go with G6, but also come with Reference G6. I found a seller but it's Hi-Z version. My amp is pass labs XA60.8. The seller stated that with solid state amp., hi-z and low-z bring the same sound quality. Maybe with Hi-Z, the volume gain might be higher. That's all. Could u help to give advice about that.
That is a tougher leap. I'd say equivalent in some areas better in some, net net edge to the Ultra G6 even though 2 levels below and 2 generations below.

As you can see, I've been around with Transparent a long time. I love the upgrade program, so you can trade up over time easily and get nearly guaranteed trade in values... vs reselling on a website

Hi,
After discussing with you, I decided not only to go with G6, but also come with Reference G6. I found a seller but it's Hi-Z version. My amp is pass labs XA60.8. The seller stated that with solid state amp., hi-z and low-z bring the same sound quality. Maybe with Hi-Z, the volume gain might be higher. That's all. Could u help to give advice about that.
I don't know about that advice. You better email Transparent...They usually also have certified used cables via dealers...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu