Tungsten Grooves Audio vibration isolation feet

Paul

Hi Lee, sorry about that because I do want to make these as accessible to everyone as possible. Unfortunately, the price of tungsten is really expensive, even making these in volume won’t make them cheaper. I wrestled with this myself, I’ve tried so many materials and they just don’t work as well, I’ve even tried Panzerholz . All other materials either have ringing effects or mute certain frequencies in some way. I was quite happy with sets under my own equipment, I’m a normal guy with a hifi and I hope people will follow my journey. Maybe other manufactures will adopt some of my technology in some way and we will see a new breed of hifi, that would be a dream, or if any manufactures out there with experience in tungsten can help please get in touch.

For this first time, I believe, something exists that can actually free up your components to deliver what they’re capable of. Imagine as Marc has already hinted at that your systems is freed of noise to such a degree the designer of the amp or CD player wont have heard what you could possibly hear with these. I’m super excited about the possibilities these feet offer… Here’s a question, what is the cost of a considerable upgrade vs trying these in your existing system, a demo is free and they will reveal new thing in your current system and will make you think again. I find that possibility fascinating, it means I’ve done my job well! I’m not a salesperson, I’m an engineer with a passion for music and HIFI plus I have a tendency to talk about these too much ttfn

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The value for money thing is obviously hugely contentious in high end audio.
I look at the SAT designer Marc Gomez taking the new $10k Technics SP-10R, seriously modding it, adding his $25k arm, and selling the lot for $200k.
Tripoint and Dalby selling ground cables for $15k+.
Record weights for $5k+.
And obviously umpteen other examples.
So, what is VFM here? Well, imho the changes wrought in my system are on multiple levels, w no apparent colouration, top to bottom. And giving me a wholly rejuvenated enjoyment of my system. I'll let others judge if that's VFM.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I have these on a moderately extended trial, so I'm playing around a little w configuration.

On a 100% analog binge, so I've taken the TGs out from under the cdp. With the spare set I have, I'm now isolating my tt motor LPS and my Straingauge cart energiser LPS. This in addition to energiser box and preamp.

I can only fit two large TGs under the motor LPS, but three under energiser LPS. Something wasn't quite right w the sound, a hint of hardness in the bass.

Saw that w the chassis screws in the energiser LPS chassis meant two TGs were within touching distance. Removed that third TG, and the sound was back in the pocket with a nice uptick in warmth and sparkle.

Three days in now, and the effects of the TGs are both remarkable and advantageous in every way. The extra resolution apparent feels very natural and unforced. The decluttering effect is really aiding musical communication. The consistency of impvts really feels top to bottom w no enhancing of any resonance band.

And this discovery that they work so well that 4 are likely overkill, and 2 may suit many situations, is interesting too. I'm gonna remove one TG from under my Staingauge energiser box as a result.

None of this would matter if the end result was "hifi" or euphonic. For me the extra resolution, tonal balance and lifting of veils makes this a hugely musical proposition. For me to really be upturning one classical and jazz lp after another is so unlike me, and testament that my enjoyment of these is off the scale...this was never meant to be the case w Zu.

Reactions: howiebrou

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Um, a little known world event in 2020 has put all my spending on hold. So, no go on that. But for those who CAN go ahead, and may be considering the ultimate footers/vibn isolation, I'd extol them to consider these.

FWIW my Stacore in my particular case is a tt-only solution, I cannot physically use the two together. Just an ergonomics reason.
Thanks for the write-up.
How much are they? I wasn't able to find a price... :oops:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Pretty pricey, Christoph.
c£1350 each/medium
c£1750 each/large.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
c£1350 each/medium
c£1750 each/large.
So that's 5.4k £ for a set of four feet for the medium and 7k £ for the large ones? :eek:
I wouldn't call that pretty pricey, I call that bloody damned pricey o_O

And naive me thought you come around with something affordable :rolleyes:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
If you want affordable, Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend $1k.
See, I can do both.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
If you want affordable, Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend $1k.
See, I can do both.
Have a look at my signature ;)
According to my wife, I have enough speakers :p

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Christoph, I think you'll find wives cost way more than TG footers.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
c£1350 each/medium
c£1750 each/large.

you can buy a new Herzan (Table Stable) TS-150 for the price of 4 of the large versions. as long as you have a good solid floor and rack, which these footers need ideally too, you are good to go unless your gear has self noise.

add a cheap LPS if you desire, that does not need to be expensive.

hummmm.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well Mike, I established in my system at least that excellent passive beat the active Herzan-equivalent for my audio tastes. The question in my case is then which passive solutions are best/most practical.

For me, I cannot countenance moving any more Stacores into my room...my neighbour is on strike Lol.

And on the basis of what I've experienced w Stacore and this product, I wouldn't look at the active Kuraka a second time.

Reactions: Lagonda

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Well Mike, I established in my system at least that excellent passive beat the active Herzan-equivalent for my audio tastes. The question in my case is then which passive solutions are best/most practical.

For me, I cannot countenance moving any more Stacores into my room...my neighbour is on strike Lol.

And on the basis of what I've experienced w Stacore and this product, I wouldn't look at the active Kuraka a second time.

we know way more about what active can do or not do in hifi systems today than we did 4-5 years ago when you were doing your Kuraka dance.

certainly active needs the ideal rack, floor and gear to show it's superior performance. all issues in your experience. and the SMPS can be an issue in some systems, and.........you need the Taiko Tana mods to get full range resonance coverage.

but active is......well......the ultimate if you can use it in the right way. it's not for everyone. but at those prices for footers, it does get you into a realm of investment where you have to consider active at least. which is why i brought it up. at these numbers resonance control is a serious investment and so alternatives not otherwise involved need to be at least contemplated.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, I've already used the phrase
To my ears etc etc
There's nothing new to be said on active than when I considered it 3 years ago. The Stacore tanked the Kuraka, it was not even close.
If you're now saying active needs a good rack then we're taking extra expense which makes yr comparison on sums less than accurate.

The Q in my mind more is Stacore v TGs. But surely the point is all these options should be considered, plus even pricier Shun Mooks.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
“But surely the point is all these options should be considered, plus even pricier Shun Mooks.”

or even cheaper Daiza platforms :p

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Mike, I've already used the phrase
To my ears etc etc
There's nothing new to be said on active than when I considered it 3 years ago. The Stacore tanked the Kuraka, it was not even close.
If you're now saying active needs a good rack then we're taking extra expense which makes yr comparison on sums less than accurate.

The Q in my mind more is Stacore v TGs. But surely the point is all these options should be considered, plus even pricier Shun Mooks.

Marc - I don’t think it is fair to compare the Stacore to these feet like that. The Stacore platform will be infinitely superior on its ability to protect gear from vibrations - it is just the basic physics of the matter. You can test this for us on a first live YouTube Spiritofmusic test by downloading one of the vibration apps for your phone and placing it on top of your CD player (or anything else for that matter), then just tap your foot on your suspended wood floor in immediate proximity and look at the output on your phone. Repeat with the footers. Guarantee you the ability of the footers to protect your gear from externally induced vibration is many orders of magnitude lower.

The footers might have some use *together* with Stacore as a means of channeling internally created vibration into the footer chamber converted to heat.

As for Daiza. Once again - Daiza is not for protecting gear from external vibration but for channeling out internally induced vibration.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bill, Stacore comparison is only a mute point in my specific situation. It took a Herculean effort to get them in my room, and no way can I repeat that. In any other circumstances I'd do a careful A/B against the TGs.

I'm only reporting what I hear, and what I hear is very dramatic and hugely musical. Nothing more nothing less.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Bill, Stacore comparison is only a mute point in my specific situation. It took a Herculean effort to get them in my room, and no way can I repeat that. In any other circumstances I'd do a careful A/B against the TGs.

I'm only reporting what I hear, and what I hear is very dramatic and hugely musical. Nothing more nothing less.

Hi Marc,

Sure I am not disputing what you are hearing but merely pointing out that footers like these are not doing what a Stacore or active platform will do because they simply can’t.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing