Two new Tape Title opportunities, available for about a week

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
As a few of us love the sound of tape and know how limited it is on source material.

I have sometimes made the attempt to reach out to the artists that own their own content and are willing to share their music in a better format and would allow me a copy of their work.

So through my earlier travels having heard Christian Jacob play piano and be the music director for Tierney Sutton (grammy award winner), I reached out to him through a friend for his new album "Beautiful Jazz" solo piano playing live just released on CD and Vinyl.

It was recorded live on 15" 1/4 inch analog tape (Nagra IV-S) as well as digital.

For a limited time - Christian is allowing us to get a tape copy directly from his original-original (not a master, but the oriiiiiiginaaaal) and so we have this limited bandwith of time as a machine (Studer A820) has to be hired and once orders are placed and done, it will not be replicated. We have about a week.

This is what the recording artist had to say "No artificial reverb, dynamic processing, or equalization was used in my productions...the sound of the 9-foot Steinway Model D in the Zipper Auditorium in download LA is just glorious (actually better than Disney Hall, which is across the street)."

Please go to Amazon and hear the samples of Christian Jacob playing.

http://www.amazon.com/BEAUTIFUL-JAZZ-private-Christian-Jacob/dp/B00II60CH4/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1438384861&sr=1-1&keywords=christian+jacob

The recording is done over two new reels of RMG 911 tape, IEC equalisation will be used and the cost for the two tapes is US$450/-. Shipping costs are additional and most likely to be quite effective as the studio is based in the US.

Now for another coup and the second opportunity. There is also on offer the 2-channel original Dolby A reel-to-reel masters of “Just Friends” by the LA4, which might be of interest to some other members.

This was a legend of a jazz recording and the LP's in good condition are so sought after and difficult to come by.

This too will be recorded on new RMG 911 tapes- 2 reels. Price is $450/- Shipping is additional.

Once again the timing for this is limited - about a week.

I have no commercial interest in this project whatsoever.

Its just that like all musicphiles we want the best and I sincerely think Christian's playing is awesome. In fact Tony Bennett's music director was there in the audience (this was at the Catalina Jazz Club - in LA) and mentioned that he was totally mesmerised with Christian's arrangements and playing skills.

If you are interested, please message me and I will email you the studio's email address contact, who are doing this project. There are no more titles that they can offer, and so it is only these two titles that is up for those who want it.

You only live once and so, I have ordered both titles! :D

Please remember I am on a time difference, being Down Under and so give me time to reply to your message or thread.

Enjoy your family, listening time and weekend.

Best,

Neville

P.S. There could be a bonus of the digital files being provided for the Christian Jacob album only, though I am unsure how these will be distributed. Please don't hold me by it. As once you have the tapes, I don't know what you will want to do with those digital files anyway.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
I would be interested in LA4 if it's available

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Thanks for the information. Is the LA4 copy that would be sold, decoded or still dolby A encoded? I have a dolby B decoder, but not a dolby A decoder (only available as pro equipment IIRC). Thanks. Larry

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
Gents (Audioblazer and Astrotoy), I have messaged you with the details.

Astrotoy, please ask the contact in regards to the Dolby A decode/encode issue you raise. good point.

Best,

Neville

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
Gents (Audioblazer and Astrotoy), I have messaged you with the details.

Astrotoy, please ask the contact in regards to the Dolby A decode/encode issue you raise. good point.

Best,

Neville

Hi Nev,

Don't forget about me!! LOL.

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
Can't forget you Gary!

Also for some members that have enquired on the LA4 Dolby A decoding. The decoder will be hired out as well to decode the original so that it can be recorded normal and eventually will not require any further decoding.

The other good news is that if you get both titles, the cost of the 2nd title will be $400. So first title $450 and second title $400. I just got confirmation on this.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
As a heads up, the 24/96 file, again with no processing, will be available as a download. Not sure on pricing but I have been advised that it will be available very soon. I have the CD, it sounds great. It will be interesting to see how the 24/96 file compares.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I emailed Mark Waldrep about the LA4 tape duplication. Here is his reply. Confirms what Neville wrote over the weekend. (I have a few records from the LA4 from the 60's and '70's IIRC. Great group.)

I just listened to the excerpts of the Christian Jacob album - I'm ordering both albums! How do I do that?

Larry,
The master is encoded using Dolby A, which is the professional Dolby format. I will be renting a Dolby Decoder unit, aligning the system properly, and doing a transfer to the Studer A820 without any noise reduction. Hope this answers your question. Please don't hesitate to contact me with any other questions. Mark

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Larry,
The master is encoded using Dolby A, which is the professional Dolby format. I will be renting a Dolby Decoder unit, aligning the system properly, Mark

Rent one? Hell, if he had asked me, I would have let him borrow mine for as long as he needed it!

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
I wish the transfers were done through you Bruce.

I don't know Mark that well to suggest it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing