Ultimate Cat Stevens

Its really only when Cat raises his voice to hit the higher notes does the sound get somewhat edgy and hard, but still very tolerable and in my opinion probably system dependent. Maybe the Koetsu that Jadis uses blunts some of this edge. I'll probably be at his place this weekend to compare the original with the reissue.

It could be system dependent as you pointed out, Gerry. We will only find out after a direct comparison between the QR and the Pink. One thing I can say about the Pink, it moves me while I'm listening. With the 2 others, nothing.

Let me add to the confusion or differing opinions by giving you my humble thoughts. I have been looking forward to this release since it was announced and picked up a copy only yesterday. Because of the posts I've been reading I took out my brown label A&M canadian pressing ( I have 2 others, but they weren't quickly at hand) as I wanted to compare and refresh my memory.

I cued up the QRP and within one second of hearing CS's voice I became almost confused. This is NOT Cat's voice the way I know him. Gone was that fresh, innocent voice only to be replaced by a voice sounding 20 yrs his senior. Cueing up my brown label A&M confirmed those thoughts.

While the QRP is a pleasant enough recording it missed the mark by a wide margin for something that was hoopla-ed as much as it was. I'll take my orginal for toe-tapping and emotion, because the QRP was devoid of it.

As far as I'm concerned, the music in this video sounds like the original version as I heard from the album. I can notice the sibilants quite etched in the music even on my computer speakers. My pink copy does not sound this etched on my system and a couple of days ago I was able to bring my copy to Jack's place to listen and I liked what I heard. I couldn't use the words 'bright' or 'glare' in that system, and the sibilants were quite tamed by my standards.

Let me add to the confusion or differing opinions by giving you my humble thoughts. I have been looking forward to this release since it was announced and picked up a copy only yesterday. Because of the posts I've been reading I took out my brown label A&M canadian pressing ( I have 2 others, but they weren't quickly at hand) as I wanted to compare and refresh my memory.

I cued up the QRP and within one second of hearing CS's voice I became almost confused. This is NOT Cat's voice the way I know him. Gone was that fresh, innocent voice only to be replaced by a voice sounding 20 yrs his senior. Cueing up my brown label A&M confirmed those thoughts.

While the QRP is a pleasant enough recording it missed the mark by a wide margin for something that was hoopla-ed as much as it was. I'll take my orginal for toe-tapping and emotion, because the QRP was devoid of it.

John ,I agree with you, I just don't get it either:confused: I have now listened to the QRP over ten times and it is just not happening. Chad must not have listened to this pressing at all IMHO, either that or he has gone a little deaf:eek:. Frankly, it really is missing the mark by miles:( --So disappointing given the hype and the supposed potential:(

Sounds like the QRP has been given the audiophile treatment, as least from where I stand; that is, kill off every last ounce of treble energy for fear of upsetting one or two people. Unless you retain that energy you will never make it happen: I remember listening to this album on pretty ordinary systems when it first came out, and it was magnificent, and all this talk of harshness, edginess now can only make people who are not audiophiles think we are nutters ...

Frank

For those of you who will be at RMAF, we can do some comparison after hours - besides the QRP, I will have a Pink Label Island, a brown label A&M US pressing, a MoFi UHQR, and an ordinary MoFi re-issue to listen to.

We'll take bets :D

Bruce, Myles, do you have the tape?

Gary and Bruce...please do inform those of us who won't be able to get to RMAF, such as myself, as to the results of the shoot-out.:D
I know where I would put my money and it certainly wouldn't be on the QRP

I'm very much looking forward to the shootout!

FWIW, I much prefer my QRP version of Tea for the Tillerman over my Island pink edge (not the whole label) version. Maybe it's a batch problem, or my Island copy is particularly bad? *Shrug*

you guys that say you have a 'bad' copy of the QRP Tea, whats written in the dead wax?

i got a pre sale copy from Chad in June and im curious which/what lacquer and stampers are out and about.

Rob

I just returned from a session with dafos in his place in which I brought my pink label and rainbow label (not 2nd, probably 3rd or more) to compare with his Quality Records copy. QR went first. At the outset, I felt something was wrong with Cat's voice on Father and Son. The guitars sounded fantastic though, crisp and clear. Cat's voice sounded hollow and nasal, like there was no body in it, like a spirit. In the worst case, I thought it reminded me of what an out-of-phase recording sounded like. Putting on the UK rainbow pressing, everything sounded more subdued, quite mellow in the entire spectrum and the details are a bit obscured. There is no hardness in this copy. Then came the pink, and Cat was really Cat. That's how I know his voice to sound like. Full body and his chest tones are quite evident. The lower midrange is exposed unlike in the QR copy where Cat is a semblance of himself. Guitar tones are just right to me though not as crispy as the QR pressing. By and large, I found it to have the most superior sonics of the 3. I can now related to those who posted here who were disappointed with the 45rpm QR copy.

. I can now related to those who posted here who were disappointed with the 45rpm QR copy.

I hate to say it, BUT if you were listening to the QR copy at 45 rpm that might explain some of your findings:eek::eek: :D

OTOH, when I listen to my copy at 33 1/3 rpm, I hear the same kind of problems:(
Hadn't thought about giving it a whirl at 45rpm---might improve things I suppose:rolleyes:

Davey, it was 33 rpm qrp tea. Fully agree with Philps assessment of the 3 pressings tested this afternoon.

While we're at this, can anyone then recommend the ultimate teaser and the fire cat? Mine is a recent EU reissue and I have no complaints, lush vocals, no hardness and crisp, natural guitar tone. After the controversial qrp release of "tea," I don't think I'd like to pop for its upcoming "teaser" release until I get feedback.

Last edited:
There is an A&M Audiophile Series pressing of this (SPJ-4280: Cat Stevens: Tea For The Tillerman), which to my knowledge were exclusive Canadian issues. Generally these were of outstanding quality, but I don't know how the CS vinyl fared.

A&M Audiophile pressings were mastered at half-speed on virgin vinyl, pressed in Japan, and distributed through A&M Canada. The catalog numbers remain the same, except the "SP-" prefix is changed to "SPJ-". The label was a yellow/grey/red variation of the white/silver/tan A&M label of the 70's.

I hate to say it, BUT if you were listening to the QR copy at 45 rpm that might explain some of your findings:eek::eek: :D

OTOH, when I listen to my copy at 33 1/3 rpm, I hear the same kind of problems:(
Hadn't thought about giving it a whirl at 45rpm---might improve things I suppose:rolleyes:

Sorry, I got mixed up, it was at 33 1/3. I get confused at all these new re-issues. ;) It's the new RR vinyls that are on 45, right? And I recall there was one re-issued title where there was no indication of 45 or 33.3 on the jacket or label and it turned out it was really a 45. And I was wondering why Chad would use so many pressing plants or recording engineers for his new re-issues - unless he had a fall-out with those guys. ;)

Just to confuse matters further, came from a friends house and compared the QRP with the MFSL. Very similar tonal balance, meaning, very crisp and defined guitar playing, and a rather wiry, threadbare voice (varies from cut to cut) with hardness in the upper registers. I'm beginning to believe that this is how the master tapes truly sound.

Just to confuse matters further, came from a friends house and compared the QRP with the MFSL. Very similar tonal balance, meaning, very crisp and defined guitar playing, and a rather wiry, threadbare voice (varies from cut to cut) with hardness in the upper registers. I'm beginning to believe that this is how the master tapes truly sound.

That's interesting, Jerry. I'd like to dig up now my old US A&M copy and listen to it again. I hope it's still somewhere in my record rack.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing