USB or PCIe options for outputting SPDIF or AES

zydeco

Oct 16, 2010
WA, Australia
I’ve got a Lite Audio DAC-83 (24/96) and am after advice on good options for feeding this via it’s AES/EBU or S/PDIF inputs from a CAPS V3 music server. My budget is <$1,250 – with their being some nervousness in spending in this area given the rapid changes in technology as well as potential the differences will be subtle at best. I’ve had great success with a Lynx L22 PCI card in a HTPC so would consider their AES16e card but it seems as if technology has moved on to USB-based converters. The obvious USB-converter option looks to be Audiophilleo 2 + Pure Power but am interested in whether new offerings (e.g., SOtM dx-USB + super clock + mBPS2 or Bel Canto Ref Link) have an advantage. Any advice on both the magnitude of differences in this space, and specific, offerings would be greatly appreciated.

Zydeco

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I used a Halide Bridge from MBP to the SPDIF input of my Accuphase for a long time. It doesn't break the bank. Can be had for less than 300 bucks second hand.

zydeco

Oct 16, 2010
WA, Australia

Thanks – the thread is a great read and was the motivation for the AP2 + Pure Power being my default answer. Local dealers are pushing the Bel Canto Reflink but, reading between the lines, it seems as if this is great via ST Fibre to their DAC but perhaps not as good for other DACs. Have you heard the SOtM dx-hd + super clock + mBPS2 stack?

Zydeco

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
No, I didn't have a chance.

AP2, JK and from what I read also the BelCanto uLink are sensible choices without breaking the bank.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That was a great review in the other forum Adam!

I have the Audiophilleo 1/2 and Berkeley and agree that the former is also an excellent choice given its much lower cost.

In all cases, my preference is for USB. If you go with PCIe, you always need to be tethered to a desktop. Berkeley folks have tested their USB bride against the Lynx and they say it surpasses it. I have a Lynx that I have not used for years :).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Last edited:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
microstrip - I went with the MSB DAC IV Plus Signature. My sig on CA is not up to date.

I have never checked the DSD over USB protocol compatibility of the Berkeley, as I have no DSD files at present.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Adam,
Did you keep the BADA? I heard good things about the MSB - do you know what is the difference between the Signature Plus and the Diamond Plus?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing