VAC Statement system inbound!

vintage_tube

Nov 1, 2012
East Coast
What an absolutely gorgeous system you have! Congrats on your system as well ... the VAC gear is wonderful and love how it sounded on my Wilson's also! I've also been listening to a Rossini Apex and comparing against my Esoteric D-02X DAC. Will be listening to several more DAC's as well once my VAC gear arrives and is well broken in! Congrats again and enjoy!!!

George
Thank you Sir -- a long journey of course and one with no regrets over those years.

How is your digital comparison coming?

Best to all,

Bob

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I Wonner if Damon and Leif have a trade-in deaf for a pair of 55's? Never mind.

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
Thank you Sir -- a long journey of course and one with no regrets over those years.

How is your digital comparison coming?

Best to all,

Bob
So after thorough break in the Rossini Apex does better the D-02X but adding the Esoteric G-05 clock closes the gap considerably. That said the Rossini Apex still has better clarity, detail, bottom end response (tighter and deeper not necessarily more volume). I have a friend going to bring over a Lampi GG soon so I can get a taste of what that is like. I know I’d really want to hear the Horizon but this will be the first Lampi DAC I’ve listened to. Also want to hear the D-1X SE’s … all that said my VAC gear is set to arrive March 12th so it will be May/June before I get super serious about making a decision on DAC’s since I want the VAC gear to break in fully before I do too much critical listening. Might even be later in the summer so I have a good opportunity to get used to what the VAC setup has brought to the table. More to come for sure …

George

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
Thought I'd post an update since I have received my Statement preamp and amps in black ... sounds surprisingly good right out of the box so enjoying the break in process! Once that happens then I'll get serious about listening to dacs in my system. DCS, Esoteric and Lampi are all on my short list. My new HRS SXR rack system is being delivered next weekend so its finally all coming together! Cheers everyone!

IMG_0358 (1).jpeg

vintage_tube

Nov 1, 2012
East Coast
Holy smokes George -- a very sharp looking system with yet HRS SRX enroute & maybe a dCS Rossini on your short list. So pretty and lovely room too boot. I love Kevins' masterpieces; he's a true tube aficionado at heart. Cheers to you and congrats -- Immerse yourself in audio heaven.

Best Sir,

Bob

Last edited:
Reactions: gadawg58

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
Holy smokes George -- a very sharp looking system with yet HRS SRX enroute & maybe a dCS Rossini on your short list. So pretty and lovely room too boot. I love Kevins' masterpieces; he's a true tube aficionado at heart. Cheers to you and congrats -- Immerse yourself in audio heaven.

Best Sir,

Bob
Many thanks for the kind words Bob! Once everything gets broken in and I'm ready to audition the 3 top picks for dac I'm going to try and listen to in no particular order are ...

- Lampizator Horizon (although some have said the Poseidon is super close?)
- Esoteric D1X SE
- DCS Vivaldi

No idea which direction I'll go and want to go into any comparisons with an open mind. Should be fun and plan to really dig in this summer!

George

mxk116

Mar 24, 2022
Many thanks for the kind words Bob! Once everything gets broken in and I'm ready to audition the 3 top picks for dac I'm going to try and listen to in no particular order are ...

- Lampizator Horizon (although some have said the Poseidon is super close?)
- Esoteric D1X SE
- DCS Vivaldi

No idea which direction I'll go and want to go into any comparisons with an open mind. Should be fun and plan to really dig in this summer!

George
Nice to read you are auditioning the new "SE" version of the Esoteric D1X. IMO the Esoteric Master Sound Discrete DAC is beautifully executed and a significant leap forward in sound quality v. the previous generation of Esoteric DAC.

Looking forward to reading your experiences v. the Lampizator and dCS gear. Would also appreciate any thoughts about the Esoteric D1X v. the new D1X SE.

Beautiful rig; enjoy the music.

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
Congrats George on your VAC additions. Your room looks great!

Dentdog

Jan 5, 2014
Atlanta
Another congrats from to another Dawg fan here in Atlanta. Ran across this looking at BAT comments as I'm going balanced hence BAT. Should be a real pleasure for you as the equipment settles in and you experience those ah ha listening sessions.

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
Another congrats from to another Dawg fan here in Atlanta. Ran across this looking at BAT comments as I'm going balanced hence BAT. Should be a real pleasure for you as the equipment settles in and you experience those ah ha listening sessions.
I just sold my BAT Rex II Pre and Mono amps ... Its really great sounding gear that for me at least was bullet proof over the past 5 years so if you're going there you'll be in for a real treat!

George

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
  • Haha
Reactions: christoph

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Great system George and lovely room!
I vote Horizon all the way and beyond!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing