Vacuum State RTP3D preamp

theophile

theophile

Yes Bruce. Thank you for posting that link.

Reactions: BruceD

Jaytor

Dec 22, 2020
OR, USA
An interesting thread at another forum:

Thanks for linking my thread on SHF. I am planning to share details of my build on WBF once I finish it, but that will probably be several months from now. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of spare time to work on it.

theophile

Thanks for linking my thread on SHF. I am planning to share details of my build on WBF once I finish it, but that will probably be several months from now. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of spare time to work on it.
You're welcome. I have been following your build at SHF. My wonderful memories of Allen draw me to any mention, praise or interest in his legacy. I'd love to hear one of these no holds barred iterations of his designs.

Socrates

Mar 21, 2017
Hello,

I own a vacuum state RTP3D. But i do not have the schematics. Can anyone provide me the schematics?

Socrates

Mar 21, 2017
This is quite some project. Congratulations. I was one of the original 10 beta-testers for Allen. It took us about 2 years to build the RTP-3C. I later bought an RTC-3D from Allen, which was built on PCBs. I have been using my prototype RTP-3C as a platform for experimentation. It is now serving as my tape head preamp after I changed the RIAA EQ to tape EQ. My experimentation with different coupling caps led me to use the Wima FKP4. This is a metallized polypropylene film and foil capacitor, designed for pulse applications. It is completely transparent, uncolored and super fast. I don't believe in using caps to "season" the sound. I just want them to get out of the way. I also changed the series type stepped attenuators to a ladder type with constant input impedance. Allen always warned against using other types of attenuators, because a constant 50k input resistance is needed for the RIAA network. I have found a 48-step attenuator using precision resistors that have a pretty much constant input impedance. At least, it does not make enough of a difference that I can detect. The transistor at the phono input stage cascode has been upgraded to MAT2. The RTP-3D uses a different transistor. The power supply capacitors were electrolytic initially, but now, only metallized polypropylene caps are used. I am also using only Lemo Redel sockets and plugs that Allen favored. Even though I don't have a lot of experience with commercial high end preamps, I must say that the RTP-3C/3D is extremely fast, uncolored, detailed and dynamic.
Hello, Can you help me out? I would like to have the schematics. I own a vacuum state RTP3D. I contacted vacuum state but there is no response...

Socrates

Mar 21, 2017
No, it's not Pat Kennedy.
Person building it is a highly qualified technician /engineer and is intimately familiar with Vacuum State RTP3D, so I have my full confidence in the process
We also upgrading critical caps to V-cap CuFT's
Can you help me out? I am looking for the schematics. I own a rtp3d...

Jaytor

Dec 22, 2020
OR, USA
Hello,

I own a vacuum state RTP3D. But i do not have the schematics. Can anyone provide me the schematics?
I think there may be more than one version, but this should be close for the line stage. I don't think the phono stage changed from the RTP3C.

DLT5x88-5A-sch_Rev.jpg

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I think there may be more than one version, but this should be close for the line stage. I don't think the phono stage changed from the RTP3C.

View attachment 122980
Don't forget the tube heating or you get a Ufk problem with the circuit. The voltage difference between the cathode and the tube heater (DC) should not exceed 100volts(ecc88)Tube v4-v5. The only thing that helps is to increase the DC heating voltage. All you need is two resistors (2watt type) and a 10uf electrolytic capacitor. If you don't pay attention, you'll have to change the tubes very quickly - frustration is inevitable.
Shematics and formula

quicklatex.com-054e67c09816e6c65002ba07182a2dc9_l3.png

20240107_080215.jpg

Last edited:

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
Hello, Can you help me out? I would like to have the schematics. I own a vacuum state RTP3D. I contacted vacuum state but there is no response...
I only have the schematics for the RTP 3C.

Attachments

• DPH1A Instructions page 2.pdf
    129.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DLT5A instrs page 2.pdf
    117.4 KB · Views: 12

Jaytor

Dec 22, 2020
OR, USA
I only have the schematics for the RTP 3C.
This is the same schematic that I posted, which I believe is the RTP3D. The RTP3C schematic was available on the Vacuum State website for a long time (although doesn't appear to be working now) and is a bit different. The main differences are: The RTP3C uses a single current source for the input stage and uses a negative bias supply for the cathode follower stage CCS. I've included it below.

rtp3c_s.gif

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
This is the same schematic that I posted, which I believe is the RTP3D. The RTP3C schematic was available on the Vacuum State website for a long time (although doesn't appear to be working now) and is a bit different. The main differences are: The RTP3C uses a single current source for the input stage and uses a negative bias supply for the cathode follower stage CCS. I've included it below.

View attachment 123086
The schematic I posted comes from the instruction manual to build the "beta test" version of the RTP-3C. There were 10 of us building this prototype. There were further changes, but minor, after the prototypes were built.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing