van den Hul Colibri Grand Cru

crosswind

Jun 6, 2021
Svartskog, Greater Oslo, Norway
First impressions ?
Detailed, rich, balanced and smooth with deep bass and delicate highs. Then the rest of the family made me join them on some cross-country skiing. :eek:

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Detailed, rich, balanced and smooth with deep bass and delicate highs. Then the rest of the family made me join them on some cross-country skiing. :eek:
It's the 'smooth' part that concerns me...

(I have one on order)

crosswind

Jun 6, 2021
It's the 'smooth' part that concerns me...

(I have one on order)
Only very early first impressions. Haven’t worked on the fine adjustments other than VTF. Don’t put too much in to it.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Only very early first impressions. Haven’t worked on the fine adjustments other than VTF. Don’t put too much in to it.
In my setup both VTF and VTA are very specific points for best sound, this cartridge sounds best right on the edge of distortion/ bad tracking. Sibilance is obvious if present on record, but will be less prominent after a few month of use :)

crosswind

Jun 6, 2021
In my setup both VTF and VTA are very specific points for best sound, this cartridge sounds best right on the edge of distortion/ bad tracking. Sibilance is obvious if present on record, but will be less prominent after a few month of use :)
Yes, this is my experience too. I have had a few Colibris in my house, from the standard Colibri>Stradivarius>Grand Cru>Elite and (besides the Elite, which I haven’t tried yet) they all sounded best that way in my setup. My G.C had a very shallow cantilever angle so I wasn’t able to fully push it to its distortion limits VTA wise in my Reed-arm, but this is something VdH has adjusted as he upgraded it too the Elite, on my request. So this will all be adjusted and tested.

Reactions: Johan K and Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Yes, this is my experience too. I have had a few Colibris in my house, from the standard Colibri>Stradivarius>Grand Cru>Elite and (besides the Elite, which I haven’t tried yet) they all sounded best that way in my setup. My G.C had a very shallow cantilever angle so I wasn’t able to fully push it to its distortion limits VTA wise in my Reed-arm, but this is something VdH has adjusted as he upgraded it too the Elite, on my request. So this will all be adjusted and tested.
Did you order it with specific compliance for your air- bearing LT arm ? I will try mine on my LT arm at a later point, it sounds so good on the SME 3012R now, i don't want to mess it up ! :)

crosswind

Jun 6, 2021
Did you order it with specific compliance for your air- bearing LT arm ? I will try mine on my LT arm at a later point, it sounds so good on the SME 3012R now, i don't want to mess it up ! :)
I did. I specified the effective mass on my Odin (which is similar to med Reed 3P so I can swap between them).

Reactions: Johan K and Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Reactions: crosswind

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing