Frog vs Lyra.....

kozzmo

Nov 19, 2019
I have a Lyra Delos, love it and the Lyra house sound in general....but looking for a new cartridge, the Delos is most likely nearing the end of its stylus life, so I am thinking about trying a Van Den Hul Frog, curious if anyone out there has heard a Frog as well as the available models from Lyra...The Kleos, Entna or Delos....Thanks!!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Personally I luv all Lyra carts - however the cart I like the least is the Kleos. It seems to try to hard to be smooth when I had it in the system and ends up a bit boring.

If you can get up to the Etna, you will not be disappointed.

Can't comment on the frog. btw, nice system - always wanted to hear a Devore o/96

kozzmo

Nov 19, 2019
Personally I luv all Lyra carts - however the cart I like the least is the Kleos. It seems to try to hard to be smooth when I had it in the system and ends up a bit boring.

Can't comment on the frog. btw, nice system - always wanted to hear a Devore o/96
Thanks!......I am not sure I can swing the Etna Lambda but I can do the older Etna....I have not pulled the trigger on the older model because of the whole "older" model thing....any thoughts? I see in other posts you have experience with both the Etna and Etna lambda...

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Thanks!......I am not sure I can swing the Etna Lambda but I can do the older Etna....I have not pulled the trigger on the older model because of the whole "older" model thing....any thoughts? I see in other posts you have experience with both the Etna and Etna lambda...

I still have the older Etna SL, so I can't comment on the Lambda differences.

Reactions: kozzmo

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA

I haven’t heard the Etna (I’m sure it’s great but it ought to be for the price), but am coming from 2 Delos‘s to the Kleos and in my system the Kleos is better in every way and not the least bit boring. Can’t stop listening to it since I got it actually…….

rangda

Mar 24, 2022
Kleos is better in every way and not the least bit boring.

I too have a Kleos and "boring" is not a word I would use to describe it. To my ears it's sort of the opposite of boring; fast, energetic, detailed, yes, boring not so much. Haven't heard either the Delos or Etna; really wanted an Etna when I bought the Kleos but it's so hard to justify the prices on a consumable. My Kleos isn't even 2 years old yet and has 1100 hours so it's time to replace it already.

Previous cart was a Lyra Skala, I'm hesitant to compare the two because the Skala was kept well past its useful life, I bet I had over 2000 hours on it.

Reactions: Mendel and kozzmo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing