van den Hul Colibri Grand Cru

Alfetta87

Aug 22, 2020
Alsace, France
3009r should be in the same ballpark as the 3012r...
I made my decision. A SME IV or V, so I searched and found a Series IV for a decent price. It was actually mounted on an Oracle Paris, so I bought the TT as well.
The Oracle seems to be above the Clearaudio Performance, or maybe the SME is above the Clearaudio Unify (actually I believe it simply is).
The SME is a dream to set up (actually the Unify is a pain in the a**).
When I mounted the Crand Cru, straight out of the box (brand new), I was simply chocked! What a cartridge. I rediscovered many of my vinyls, and everytime I couldn't believe my ears. What when it's broken in...
Guess I found my final gear...

Attachments

• IMG_20200906_163337.jpg
    IMG_20200906_163337.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20200906_163349.jpg
    IMG_20200906_163349.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20200906_163356.jpg
    IMG_20200906_163356.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 30

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations!

Shocked in what way?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I made my decision. A SME IV or V, so I searched and found a Series IV for a decent price. It was actually mounted on an Oracle Paris, so I bought the TT as well.
The Oracle seems to be above the Clearaudio Performance, or maybe the SME is above the Clearaudio Unify (actually I believe it simply is).
The SME is a dream to set up (actually the Unify is a pain in the a**).
When I mounted the Crand Cru, straight out of the box (brand new), I was simply chocked! What a cartridge. I rediscovered many of my vinyls, and everytime I couldn't believe my ears. What when it's broken in...
Guess I found my final gear...

Running in a Grand Cru is a terrible bind:)
Usually i would spin up Cardas or Clearaudio and leave running. Or perhaps keep replaying a record i don't listen to, that has all frequencies well recorded.
But the issue is that as soon as the needle drops, I'm experiencing a performance, and it feels rude to give any less than my full attention

Alfetta87

Aug 22, 2020
Alsace, France
Congratulations!

Shocked in what way?
That there is so much hidden in a record. Or how much a cartridge can extract from a vinyl. Transparency and image found a new dimension with the Grand Cru.
I always thought that sound is better in analogue than any digital, just image depth was a bit better with digital. I was wrong!
- dan

Alfetta87

Aug 22, 2020
Alsace, France
Running in a Grand Cru is a terrible bind:)
Usually i would spin up Cardas or Clearaudio and leave running. Or perhaps keep replaying a record i don't listen to, that has all frequencies well recorded.
But the issue is that as soon as the needle drops, I'm experiencing a performance, and it feels rude to give any less than my full attention
You hit EXACTLY the point ;)

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Thank you Dan

May i ask,
What does the assembly think of vdH's Grail phonostage?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
That there is so much hidden in a record. Or how much a cartridge can extract from a vinyl. Transparency and image found a new dimension with the Grand Cru.
I always thought that sound is better in analogue than any digital, just image depth was a bit better with digital. I was wrong!
- dan

Dan, this is exactly how I think of it. The grand cru simply presents information that was heretofore hidden in the grooves. It is an incredible cartridge.

Alfetta87

Aug 22, 2020
Alsace, France
Thank you Dan

May i ask,
What does the assembly think of vdH's Grail phonostage?
I had the Grail some years ago. It's a quite musical item, good staging, but when you look inside, there are a lot of components, and it lacks a bit of transparency. My actual has very little components in the signal path, maybe not as neutral, but highly musical and transparent.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Another friend of mine just got his.
He is very very happy!

IMG-20200914-WA0045.jpg

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Hello,
Just received my GC today. Replaced my MC Anna on the 3012-R. I needed to remove a part of the counterweight because it’s so light. I have the .75 mV configured for classical music. First impression is very positive.
The traditional photography :

Attachments

• C53FFAB9-2529-4416-B67A-C9D1A6711ED7.jpeg
    C53FFAB9-2529-4416-B67A-C9D1A6711ED7.jpeg
    556.6 KB · Views: 38

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
After your Grand Cru breaks in, please kindly tell us your impressions versus the MC Anna.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I was just thinking about the vdH service. Mr. van den Hul offers a free inspection and fine tuning after 200-250 hours of playing time. I requested a lower output and commented that there was a slight "accent" in the very high frequencies during some program material. This first Grand Cru has been modified to Grand Cru specifications from my former Master Signature. I sent this Grand Cru back for the inspection and any fine tuning that could be done per my request. Two weeks later I got the cartridge back.

The output has been lowered from 1.1 mV (standard for Master Signature) to 0.75mV to match my other Grand Cru, and the damper was replaced with a new one of different compliance. I could tell immediately that the output was now similar because I did not have to change the volume setting when switching from one arm/cartridge to the other. And, the slight HF "accent" on muted trumpet and cymbals on one or two LPs is now gone. I knew something had changed when I went to align the cartridge in the same V-12 headshell as I had to slide the arm forward by quite a bit. I also had to lower the VTF as this cartridge came back slightly heavier. Interestingly, the VTA seems about the same, though after I listen to a few more LPs, I will know more.

You can see from the two profile photos that the two cartridges are not identical. The magnets appear to be the same size, so to lower the output, he must have removed some windings or done something else which I can't figure out. The silver cylinder collar where the round tube meets the square magnet is larger on the bottom cartridge. Also, if you look at the cantilever, the white section is different lengths. Finally, the size of the wooden body: in the top photo the front of the body reaches the lower assembly, while in the bottom photo, the wood stops well short of the lower assembly.

I am grateful that I can send my vdH cartridges back for an inspection and adjustment depending on what I am hearing and how they might sound in my particular system. This kind of customization seems rare in the cartridge world. The communication and turn around time were superb. I have a lot of respect for Mr. van den Hul. He is a gentleman and a real artist. He loves music and cares deeply about satisfying his customers. At least that has been my experience. These cartridges are the result of incredible passion for his art.

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0114.JPG

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I was just thinking about the vdH service. Mr. van den Hul offers a free inspection and fine tuning after 200-250 hours of playing time. I requested a lower output and commented that there was a slight "accent" in the very high frequencies during some program material. This first Grand Cru has been modified to Grand Cru specifications from my former Master Signature. I sent this Grand Cru back for the inspection and any fine tuning that could be done per my request. Two weeks later I got the cartridge back.

The output has been lowered from 1.1 mV (standard for Master Signature) to 0.75mV to match my other Grand Cru, and the damper was replaced with a new one of different compliance. I could tell immediately that the output was now similar because I did not have to change the volume setting when switching from one arm/cartridge to the other. And, the slight HF "accent" on muted trumpet and cymbals on one or two LPs is now gone. I knew something had changed when I went to align the cartridge in the same V-12 headshell as I had to slide the arm forward by quite a bit. I also had to lower the VTF as this cartridge came back slightly heavier. Interestingly, the VTA seems about the same, though after I listen to a few more LPs, I will know more.

You can see from the two profile photos that the two cartridges are not identical. The magnets appear to be the same size, so to lower the output, he must have removed some windings or done something else which I can't figure out. The silver cylinder collar where the round tube meets the square magnet is larger on the bottom cartridge. Also, if you look at the cantilever, the white section is different lengths. Finally, the size of the wooden body: in the top photo the front of the body reaches the lower assembly, while in the bottom photo, the wood stops well short of the lower assembly.

I am grateful that I can send my vdH cartridges back for an inspection and adjustment depending on what I am hearing and how they might sound in my particular system. This kind of customization seems rare in the cartridge world. The communication and turn around time were superb. I have a lot of respect for Mr. van den Hul. He is a gentleman and a real artist. He loves music and cares deeply about satisfying his customers. At least that has been my experience. These cartridges are the result of incredible passion for his art.

View attachment 69457

View attachment 69458
Peter. Do you normally use the DB protractor or the card board protractor that came with the SME arm? What do you prefer?

Reactions: Ralphio

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
The silver cylinder collar where the round tube meets the square magnet is larger on the bottom cartridge. Also, if you look at the cantilever, the white section is different lengths. ...

Re first sentence - I think the round tube on the top photo cartridge is longer, regardless of length difference in the silver cylinder collar. Look at it relative to the plastic piece holding the wire solder points.

Re second sentence: the white cantilever surround is of different lengths but I think the cantilevers are also of different lengths. Maybe the photo perspective is skewing that to my eyes.

This kind of customization seems rare in the cartridge world. The communication and turn around time were superb. I have a lot of respect for Mr. van den Hul. He is a gentleman and a real artist.

Old world craftsmanship with personal service. Yes - much respect - he's a rare bird partilcularly since he donates proceeds from the cartridge work to charity.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

View attachment 69457

View attachment 69458
Peter, like Van Den Hul you are on another level ! Your observations and meticulousness when it comes to all things analog is of the charts, and your steady hand takes some excellent pictures :)

mountainjoe

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2015
Bay Area, California
eigenaudio.com
This first Grand Cru has been modified to Grand Cru specifications from my former Master Signature.

Hi Peter - are you saying you had a Master Sig converted to Gran Cru specs?

Thanks, Joe

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing