Verizon 4G LTE network live now!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The Verizon 4G data network launched this week. See here: http://network4g.verizonwireless.com/#/4g-network-verizon-wireless

Friend tested it in NYC and he was getting 31 mbit/sec donwload and 6 mbit/sec up!

I went to local Verizon store. He said they tested theirs at 20 mbit/sec down.

We have Clear 4G/WiMax at work and it "only" does 6 mbit/sec. So if these numbers are right, Verizon network is proving to be much faster. Of course, the network is lightly loaded as there are few users but still, this is exciting development.

Beside order of magnitude speed improvement, latency is also halved. This should speed up browsing and interactive scenarios such as conferencing and gaming.

I have one on order :). I currently use by Verizon 3G modem all the time. I have an old plan that has unlimited data. Sadly, you cannot get that plan anymore. 4G LTE comes at two tiers: One for $50 which I recall being at 4-5 Gigabytes/monthly and $80/month for double that. Bummer that there is no uncapped plan given the fact that they tout video as one of the main applications. Watching one HD video is liable to eat into a chunk of your monthly bandwidth.

Still, this is great progress.

Many less major markets, such as ours, may not see 4G for another 6-12 months. I think the data plan prices will have to come down, or folks will simply not opt for it. At that cost, I'd stay on 3G unlimited for $29.99/mo (I also receive a discount via employer arrangement with Verizon.) I understand that watching/downloading video or other intensive applications will run much better, but there will be an upper cap on plan rates by virtue of subscriber acceptance IMO.

Lee

It is a silly headline. A "Myth" is something that is not true. I don't personally care if the name is what is not true. What I care is that these networks or better than 10X faster than they have been and match and exceed the land line in speed. The article goes on to admit that substantial speed is indeed provided.

ITU's role in this is to set aspirational goals with that 100 mbit/sec. In reality, carriers and their respective standard setting organizations are free to climb all the way up that ladder or stop short of the top.

If they wanted to write a real story, they would write that these shared networks. Everyone is using the same channel capacity. This is the biggest issue with performance of these networks. As more and more people start to use them, they will keep getting slower and slower. I remember when I first got my 3G modem, it was just amazing. Now at our house, it barely works. At our vacation house, which is remote, the 3G sings again, getting 4-5X better throughput.

So this is the time to enjoy these networks before the rest of the people find out about it! :)

OK, finally got mine. It was a pain as my current 3G card has unlimited data and 4G only goes up to 10 Gig. So for now, I have both cards as they no longer offer unlimited.

At my house, our Verizon reception has gotten spotty. There is a very strong tower but often devices lock on on a borderline tower. Such was the case when I was testing this device, getting only two bars. This the speed test results:

1122301052.png

For kicks, I also tested the same, this time using my home wireless network using Comcast Boost which is supposed to be 30 mbit/sec:

1122304300.png

Maybe the kids are hogging the link but it sure is pathetic. I ran each twice by the way with similar results.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing