Videos of Acoustically-Coupled Audio Recordings

Yes, this sounds realistic for up close recorded violin…this for sure is not midhall

It doesn't, in my view, but maybe the DAC in my laptop handles things differently than yours. It's hard to know if we really listen to the same thing -- one of the many problems with system videos.

Sounds pretty good , but the sigma lost sound pressure at 38hz* in smaller rooms enough bass.I don't mean anything bad, but I would like a little deeper bass

*into a 3-4 meter long folded horn
Maybe the bottom octave is not full power of a real organ but the rest is top class…pretty good …:rolleyes:

It doesn't, in my view, but maybe the DAC in my laptop handles things differently than yours. It's hard to know if we really listen to the same thing -- one of the many problems with system videos.
Your experience with live up close violin is what exactly?

Your experience with live up close violin is what exactly?

Several string quartets and solo violin pieces, in large living rooms or small concert halls. Close-up solo violin at least 5 times on such occasions.

Usually much more weight and wooden tone than in this video. Never a whitish sound as here, as is heard especially in the high register.

Several string quartets and solo violin pieces, in large living rooms or small concert halls. Close-up solo violin at least 5 times on such occasions.

Usually much more weight and wooden tone than in this video. Never a whitish sound as here, as is heard especially in the high register.
Ok, very little experience…check.

• Haha
Reactions: Al M.
Use good headphones please.

OK, Brad. I used my Sennheiser HD 580 head phones, not the best, but decent. The presentation does have good weight and as I wrote, it is a very good video, sounding balanced with good resolution. It is also dynamic. I still think the triangles at 1:14 and at 2:40 are a bit blurred and whitish. I like the violin a lot and all the rest too. Just the triangles are slightly blurred. No big deal. It is excellent and one of the better ones I've heard.

You are a dealer right? You should definitely send around these videos. They do the systems justice, IMO. Other excellent videos I have heard are of Tima's system.

Brad, you mean to tell me that you don’t hear the “plastic” coloration produced by those Trios on the brass horns? if you don’t hear that then I’m going to have to lump you with Hopkins. Kind of obvious to me on first listen.
I used to own AG's (not trio's) and I'm very sensitive to the plastic sound. I don't hear it from these trios. In any case, to me, they sound much better than the other two comparison vids.

Reactions: morricab
Best organ recording playback I have ever heard. Not sure if hat peoples live organ experience is but I have heard a few and even have a friend who used to build them! This is legit organ reproduction.

This is also quite good. I like this kind of music.

How are the Cerat system videos recorded? I do not see any mics in the images. Thank you.

Perhaps it is meant to distract us from their reasons for not posting their own videos?
I understand this thread is about listening to in room systems. I also understand that some don't feel it's a meaningful comparison between a lowly YouTube file to a high-end vinyl (or digital) in room system recording.

And it's also been said here that using a digital YouTube file as any kind of reference is laughable, presumably, because it could never measure up to a recording of a good system recorded in room.

This, I have to disagree with and to me it's blatantly obvious in the samples recently posted of the Solti Beethoven 5th, 3rd movement that the YouTube file sounds a world better than any of the room vids of the same recording. If someone can produce an in-room vid to sound like the YouTube vid, I would infer they have an exceptional system and in particular, a great Room.

Before anyone (Carlos) pressures me to post a vid myself, I'll do so when I get a chance to upload it (technical roadblock). I'll say in all honesty the Tube file sounds a lot better than my in-room vid as well, but mine is more similar. No doubt some (Carlos) will find particular fault in that similarity. No problem, as my ego is not dependent on what wbf members think of my stereo! :)

And it's also been said here that using a digital YouTube file as any kind of reference is laughable, presumably, because it could never measure up to a recording of a good system recorded in room.

This, I have to disagree with and to me it's blatantly obvious in the samples recently posted of the Solti Beethoven 5th, 3rd movement that the YouTube file sounds a world better than any of the room vids of the same recording. If someone can produce an in-room vid to sound like the YouTube vid, I would infer they have an exceptional system and in particular, a great Room.

I made the argument that the YouTube file should not be used as a reference to which one should assemble and set up his system. Live music is my reference not a digital file on YouTube.

I also don’t see the value of comparing the file with an in room system video because they are such different creations.

I agree with you that in most cases the YouTube file sounds better than the in room system video recorded by iPhone. I think the reason for this is that the system is at an extreme disadvantage because of the influence of the room and the recording device. It’s a big challenge, but I have no problem if other people want their systems to sound like a YouTube file.

videos for me are a tool best used in the set up process and for sharing afterwards. Overall assessment of system quality is possible but I would concede that my videos are just not the same as listening to my system in the room.

some of Brad‘s recent videos are very good.

When i win in the lottery a modified jbl from kenrick on to do list

Completely different system...how do you get that it is the original recording? It might be, but how do you back that out of all the very significant differences?
I listened to Hello on Tidal, sounds similarly dull compared to what I remember the LP sounds like.

Regarding listening on laptops, I get best sound by using battery mode and weirdly, wifi connection to my phone/mobile data via hotspot.

If not using an external DAC you have to go to enhancements in sound settings and disable all sound effects.

Without doing all this, videos of vinyl playback don't sound like vinyl playback.

Reactions: PeterA
I understand this thread is about listening to in room systems. I also understand that some don't feel it's a meaningful comparison between a lowly YouTube file to a high-end vinyl (or digital) in room system recording.

Before anyone (Carlos) pressures me to post a vid myself, I'll do so when I get a chance to upload it (technical roadblock). I'll say in all honesty the Tube file sounds a lot better than my in-room vid as well, but mine is more similar. No doubt some (Carlos) will find particular fault in that similarity. No problem, as my ego is not dependent on what wbf members think of my stereo! :)

I suggest next time trying to be relevant to the post to which you respond. The issue was not what is a particular video or if it sounds better, But rather why do some people post non-system videos as a response to a system video.

Reactions: PeterA
I suggest next time trying to be relevant to the post to which you respond. The issue was not what is a particular video or if it sounds better, But rather why do some people post non-system videos as a response to a system video.
I was simply responding with my opinion that hearing the direct file is relevant to a more full understanding of what I hear from a system video. You see it differently.

Reactions: Argonaut
Maybe the bottom octave is not full power of a real organ but the rest is top class…pretty good …:rolleyes:

For the Bach Tocatta & Fugue the lowest note in the score is at 16Hz, a low C pedal note that requires a 32ft pipe. I agree with your assessment.

on u-tube for the Danse Macabre video it tells us: "Sound is recorded with our Super 3 Stereo recording technique into Zoom F8N Pro." The one thing about that particular video I find a bit odd is the absence of any extraneous.live noise. - For example, I hear not a peep from the two guys talking.

some of Brad‘s recent videos are very good.
the most recent one showing above is 8 years old; unlikely from an I-phone. no one was doing in room i-phone system videos then. done by (or commissioned by) Aries Cerat at a show in 2016. i guess we need more info to see how relevant it is.

maybe others are actually recent and we know the source and method?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing