Videos of Acoustically-Coupled Audio Recordings

Glad you're now pro YT vids

No, I'm not. They're still horrible. That was a *relative* assessment.

At least that holds for phone videos. I may have a more favorable opinion about videos done with professional recording equipment, even though that still doesn't convey the actual sound of a system.

Ron, can you please do the same video on mobile?

record on mobile and upload to YouTube please

The "Truly" video I posted in #345 I recorded on my iPhone. I don't have my own YouTube channel. I don't want to post these kinds of videos to the WBF YouTube channel.

this is excellent

Really? I would have said a bit warmer, a bit less thin, a bit more natural, a bit less menthol, a bit less dry.

Sorry there is so much surface noise. I did not realize before I played it and recorded it last night that I guess I did not clean that record when Joe Cali very kindly gave it to me.

What is menthol

Reactions: Scott Naylor
How do you upload a mobile to WBF video channel? Never did that

How do you upload a mobile to WBF video channel? Never did that

We use the WBF YouTube channel only for posting the Masters & Makers interviews.

That's why I don't understand what you're asking me to do here (beyond posting the "Truly" I recorded on my iPhone and posted via Vimeo in Post #345).

Last edited:
From Philip O'Hanlon's review of Truly:

From a technical POV, the album was recorded live at Apogee Studios by Bob Clearmountain using a much revered Neve analogue mixing console. Lori’s voice was mic’d with a Neumann M49 (tube) on the vocals, and a Neumann U67 on the guitars. There are NO overdubs, the synergy between the musicians . . .

Philip does not report how it was recorded.

From Michael Fremer's review of Truly:

The sound on this record should convince even the most anti-digital diehard that its time to give it up—at least when it comes to new original productions. If there's analog tape, use it, sure, for reissues or for new productions if you have the guts, time and money. However, the sound of this file transferred to lacquer is as natural and three-dimensional as recordings get, regardless of technology.

So it seems like Truly is DAA.

Last edited:
What is menthol

That is the word I coined in 2017 and used on WBF to describe a dryness, an unnatural artifact, a coolness I hear from some components and from some stereos.

I intend to mean a sonic version of that kind of dryness and coolness you feel at the back of your throat if you inhale or swallow something with menthol in it. The sonic menthol you feel in your ears when you listen to a component or to a stereo system with this artifact.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtemur
Ron, do you have any string quartets or piano on LP that you can record?

Definitely no string quartets. I'm sure I have some piano. I have Reference Recordings Nojima Plays Liszt.

Why?

Really? I would have said a bit warmer, a bit less thin, a bit more natural, a bit less menthol, a bit less dry.

That's how I perceived it as well in relation to the Fremer video.

Sorry there is so much surface noise. I did not realize before I played it and recorded it last night that I guess I did not clean that record when Joe Cali very kindly gave it to me.

Didn't bother me, Ron.

Definitely no string quartets. I'm sure I have some piano. I have Reference Recordings Nojima Plays Liszt.

Why?

I would like to get a sense of how your system sounds on acoustic instruments, ones with complex harmonics and range. The type of recordings I use to assess system performance. I once asked Jay on YouTube the same question. He ignored me and I think I’ve been ghosted.

Here's a video someone posted on another forum:

It compares the sound of two different tubes on the same amplifier. Listen to it with headphones, without looking at the video, and try to guess when the tubes change...

The youtube channel description states: "For the recordings I use pro mobile gear - SoundDevices MixPre 2 and a stereo set of SE8 microphones"

Last edited:
I would like to get a sense of how your system sounds on acoustic instruments, ones with complex harmonics and range. The type of recordings I use to assess system performance. I once asked Jay on YouTube the same question. He ignored me and I think I’ve been ghosted.

Please let's take this request about my system over to my system thread, so we don't derail this thread about videos in general.

Please let's take this request about my system over to my system thread, so we don't derail this thread about videos in general.

Ok Ron. I copied my questions over to your system thread. I don’t think you posting your system videos here on this system video thread and discussing them derails it, but I complied with your request.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing