Videos of Acoustically-Coupled Audio Recordings

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Thank goodness! I was seconds away from falling on my sword, mortified that I called it a violin!
But no one much complains when a viola player falls on their own sword… probably because it makes room for one more cellist in a string quartet… just sayin.

Ron using your shure mic is going to make all string quartets sound like there’s two viola players and only one cellist instead of the other way around :eek:… not that that’ll upset more than a handful of audiophiles I guess…

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Yes modified swc 450 pre+ silvaweld swa 20s 300b
I had the SWC 450 briefly and the SWC 1000 with dual mono silver stepped attenuators for several years. Only amp I ever owned from Silvaweld was their large OTL reference monoblocks. I still use my "one off" SWH650 phonostage, which has a fully tube rectified and tube regulated power supply. Very good sounding and great value components.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I had the SWC 450 briefly and the SWC 1000 with dual mono silver stepped attenuators for several years. Only amp I ever owned from Silvaweld was their large OTL reference monoblocks. I still use my "one off" SWH650 phonostage, which has a fully tube rectified and tube regulated power supply. Very good sounding and great value components.
Yes. really good for the money.some of my audio friends have silvaweld(allnic today) pres and amps sounds good in my ears. IMG-20211009-WA0009.jpg IMG20210325145111.jpg

Reactions: morricab

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Tang's video

Ron's video

By far the best most natural sounding of all the videos in this thread, eh?

Tang's video seems rather heavy / thick to me starting with the opening cello. I suppose that's a good thing if one prefers sitting inside the cello during a live performance. But I'm guessing most of us enjoy listening from a bit more of a concert hall perspective with our ears planted firmly in the audience and all the music up on the soundstage where it belongs.

As has been pointed out, this is not a cello but a double bass.

Yes, the negative sibilance in Tang's video appears to be sufficiently-enough addressed which is always a good sign too.

But how is it that you (and others) are able to ignore/overlook that overwhelmingly blatant sonic signature that makes vocalists and instruments sound like they're performing in a huge semi-empty coffee can? This negative sonic characteristic seems predominatnt in perhaps 75% of the videos I've listened to in this thread. There ain't nothing high-end about that. Why is it that nobody seems to notice something that so blatantly stands out like this?

In comparison to Tang's video, a diligent listener should notice that Ron's video above contains no such blatant sonic signature.

I didn't say the recording was perfect. It is the most natural sounding of all the video recordings posted. A relative comparison. Yet I wouldn't want that sound for my in-person experience of my own system either.

Actually, Ron's video does sound bath-tubby too, or as you suggest, "in a huge semi-empty coffee can". Videos tend to exaggerate room reverb. In addition, to my ears the voice has what Ron would call a "menthol" quality -- I cannot imagine that it sounds like that in-person on his system. His iPhone video posted earlier sounds nicer on the voice, by the way.

None of my videos ever do or will (see video below) - unless on the rare occasion it's actually part of the recording.

Actually, your video also sounds too bath-tubby, as do practically all of your videos. There is way too much room reverb in your videos. But then, as I said, that may very well also be exaggeration by the video recording, as is typical for such recordings (even though not *all* such recordings sound that way).

Listening mode disclosure on my part: laptop over headphones.

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I agree with this assessment, and if it is not the iPhone recording that explains the issues, then the term "natural sound" hardly applies.

As I said above, it's a relative comparison. I didn't say the video sounds "natural, period".

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Al. M,
Although I can't imagine how it sounds, a simple peak spectral analysis will show why you preferred this video - the others were extremely poor ... Guess which you preferred!

View attachment 110975

Number 1 perhaps? They both look kinda rough, but number 1 has a smoother roll-off response in the higher frequencies.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

YouTube reference of recording direct.

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
As I said above, it's a relative comparison. I didn't say the video sounds "natural, period".

I did not refer to you specifically, and I just wanted to point out the irony of using this video in support of a rant about "natural sound" versus "audiophile sound", which is unfortunately what this thread has degenerated into in the last few pages. If posting videos is the pretext for venting frustrations, I doubt many will be very eager to contribute. End of parenthesis.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Nice open baffle design!
Thanks, worked on it for a long time, woofer modified. Drill holes in the magnets to change the QTS to 0.9, play deeper in open baffle, open the back of the horn driver, work as dipole and get better flatter frequency response from 2khz-19khz.... and many more things.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Many more of this awful music videos here, some better

Reactions: mtemur

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Many more of this awful music videos here, some better

I can not agree more. Musica Nuda Elanor Rigby was standard test track among my friends 15 years ago. All of us have the album. Unfortunately not the Lp we all bought the Cd. I haven’t listened it since then cause it became irritating after several hundred times. Thanks to this thread it reminded me.

Reactions: Rexp and bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I can not agree more. Musica Nuda Elanor Rigby was standard test track among my friends 15 years ago. All of us have the album. Unfortunately not the Lp we all bought the Cd. I haven’t listened it since then cause it became irritating after several hundred times. Thanks to this thread it reminded me.

It tests nothing.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Way better ways to test female vocals, classical or otherwise

Reactions: mtemur and Argonaut

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
You have friends with Leg Shackle scars :eek: … I like the room tuning devices from the Triassic and Late Cretaceous periods .
my cousin likes dinosaurs and quartzes.:pthe scars are very painful from a box jellyfish a souvenirs from the vacation.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing