"Vinyl is Back for Good and That’s Exciting."

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
As I said, hunting down records in all these cool record shops in London has got to be a blast.

When I was living full-time in London, I would take a page out of Michael Portillos's playbook and his Great Railway Journeys. He used Bradshaw's Guide to explore "Blighty" whilst I relied on my mate Graham Jones' books: Last Shop Standing, The Vinyl Revival ... and Strange Requests ... to map, schedule and explore independent record shops dotted along the countryside.

It was in a most wonderful shop in Falmouth (Cornwall) named Jam Records where I happened across "LAST SHOP STANDING", which incidentally was made into a DVD documentary and should be available for those challenged by the written word. Jam is located at 32 High Street, Falmouth TR11 2AD England. Jam is a duplex of sorts where the proprietress serves delightful Monmouth coffee and books adorn the shelves, whilst down below in the basement one can ensconce themselves in a British mid-century modern sitting room replete with vinyl and the jammiest, comfiest chairs this side of the meridian.

And Jam is one of oh so many. The wonderful people, dogs and coffee I met along the way. Those were such GOOD days. <sigh>

Forever and a day I cajoled Graham to embark on a journey across the States, to do a "LAST SHOP STANDING USA", but alas, such a venture would require formidable financial backing.

1704296901579.png

Jam Photos:
1704297545406.png
1704297564602.png
1704297585055.png 1704297603694.png

Reactions: Ron Resnick and wil

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
One of the larger, well known record stores near me has about 6 islands plus outside walls. Lately, 2 of the inside islands have been converted to CD. They also have an island for 45 singles.

I was asking the guy about the 45 singles quality. He set me straight. But then walked me around to where all the 12 inch 45 rpm singles were. I ended up buying 4 of them.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
condescending, check ! spectacularly elitist!, check ! Add no care in the world for young people and their cares and worries! They generally just annoy me ! :)

Outside of The Arts. Lack of self awareness in fighting it out with kids to portray lost youth is mortifying. Abhorrent.
I believe the young ladies refer to this ongoing fantasy that can be dipped back into at will as attending a second, second Prom.
A highly favorable crowd ratio subtly mimicking the latest plastic surgery trends at festivals more than meets this protocol.
Any shop keeper worth their salt milks this for all it's worth. Scene and relic ad infinitum. Everyone comes, but nobody stays long. ;)

Besides that, it has quite likely been true for some number of years what an exciting new vinyl box set meant in the Fremer household.

Afraid glitter and garland are both out these days. Too many microplastics.
Vinyl may be the next casualty.

:D Happy Holidays :D

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Good morning, gentlemen. This thread has been scrubbed of the debate that went against one of the WBF goals.

Our goal is to have a friendly place where everyone shares ideas and information without the level of bickering and angst that other forums tend to create.

Please, when responding to a post, keep this in mind - Talk about the subject at hand and not about the person making the post. With that said, the thread will reopen now. Let's have some fun but not make things so personal. This is, after all, just a hobby. One we should all have common ground on.

Tom

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Good morning, gentlemen. This thread has been scrubbed of the debate that went against one of the WBF goals.

Tom
Obviously I missed the contentious episode in this saga!

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
So the question is, why do some digital recordings sound better, and I mean different league better, on vinyl?

Reactions: XV-1

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
So the question is, why do some digital recordings sound better, and I mean different league better, on vinyl?

You have good hearing. Lots of people hear this on cheap rigs and expensive ones.

Vinyl, if done properly is mastered differently to have it adhere to the limitations of vinyl.
If the mastering engineer is worth his salary, the vinyl will sound better than it's digital counterpart .

There is magic in them grooves.

Vinyl mastering seems to be an art, whereas you consistently hear people complaining about compression and loudness in digital formats.

Reactions: bonzo75 and tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
The actual title of the article cited by the OP is:

"Vinyl is back for good and that’s exciting. Don’t let the greed of big labels ruin it"

It's the guardian so that second sentence is part of their schtick.

I bought several of the recent Deutsche Grammophon Original Source Series' issuances -- all AAA. DG handbuilt a special console to handle the 1/4-inch tape from which the series derives (they also had digitally recorded copies.). So there is a little extra expense.

The first series sold out fairly quick. DG sold them directly; price varied based on number of LPs, with single albums somewhere around 54,99€. The killer was the shipping cost from Europe where they have no Media Mail. I bought most of mine from Amazon where the price was a bit less ($40-$50) but shipping with Prime was 'free'.

I read discussions on several other forums about the TOSS where others did something similar. The records are well made, very quiet and the music, based on sales, is attractive. In no instance did I read people bitching about the price of the records. No one claimed to be ripped off by a big label.

Vinyl is not back -- it never left. Sales did get pretty slim for a while, ok. Playing and collecting records is not about digital or analog and it never has been -- though some interlopers tried to make this thread about that. A handful of golden ears will say that digital mastering of vinyl recordings is clearly audible and some of those will claim them sufficiently irritating that they cannot play such records. Okay, I won't question others hearing or their preferences. I agree that digital mastering used for vinyl at the outset of the CD era produced some less than pleasant records, true. As for me I'm less concerned about how the record is made than about the performance it contains and if I like it.

Modern cleaning technology can largely put to bed the 'clicks and pops' discouragement. As Shane (@XV-1) wrote above "There is magic in them grooves." Through it all or inspite of it all, vinyl persists. It is not about vinyl being trendy or "cool". It's because it sounds good.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing