Visit to Clarisys Auditoriums + CH Precision System in Spokane, Washington

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Thanks Ron

Reactions: Ron Resnick

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
"Room filling", which is why I also like planars. It's like every air molecule in the room is being deployed, rather than fired at you ballistically from a radiating cone.

I think a classical music lover should go straight to horns, but for the wider musical palettes, dipole planars are great. Plus, I don't know if it's a good idea chronically to listen at the intensities and volumes that horns demand. Need to keep some of the hearing for the twilight.

During the 'loud' passages (I presume from the vid) I couldn't see any movement of the ribbons, which means they are unstressed with lots of reserve.

Last edited:

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
Excellent interview. I still sense a lack of bass with Clarisys.
That is just room dependent. Positioning, like with all planers is important. I can tell you in my listening room, I can feel the impact and hear 26hz— and I’ve got the one-sized-down from the Auditorium version.

I can move them in my room and lose the bass at my listening position.

Mine are spec’d at -3db at 25. I have no reason to doubt that.

Doc76

Aug 29, 2023
United States
That is just room dependent. Positioning, like with all planers is important. I can tell you in my listening room, I can feel the impact and hear 26hz— and I’ve got the one-sized-down from the Auditorium version.

I can move them in my room and lose the bass at my listening position.

Mine are spec’d at -3db at 25. I have no reason to doubt that.

It’s very true that every speaker must be set up correctly for one to get the best sound. That’s a given. However, can the Clarisys be set up correctly in every room? Your room and equipment is most likely different than what I heard them on. I’ve heard other speakers that I’ve enjoyed more. I’ll trek towards them.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The vid did sound a bit 'solid state' to me, with all due respect to the limitations of the media and intervening transmitters.

I, of course, would probably prefer a tube somewhere there before the amps.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Thank you.

Then that suggests that videos don't accomplish what their adherents claim for them.

Lack of bass is an incorrect conclusion judged against what one hears in person. Go listen to them in person.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
The vid did sound a bit 'solid state' to me, with all due respect to the limitations of the media and intervening transmitters.

Can't judge the sound from a video. You need to hear the system in person.

Reactions: AudioHR and Pokey77

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
It’s very true that every speaker must be set up correctly for one to get the best sound. That’s a given. However, can the Clarisys be set up correctly in every room? Your room and equipment is most likely different than what I heard them on. I’ve heard other speakers that I’ve enjoyed more. I’ll trek towards them.

They are dipole so they can park very close to sidewalls, but you need some depth for them.

Well the ones in that room had too much bass. Now the room has a numerous Avaa PSI's to balance it. I'm not sure about home theater but for music they make literally more than enough.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Jason Bloom was fine with placing the higher frequency ribbons on the outside with Apogees. My own experience tends that what you get isn't so much a meaningful widening of soundstage as a bit of richness and (in a good way) darkness. Maybe it's because the bass panel sound hits you first, and the higher frequencies are more turned away from beaming, I dunno.

I'm sure your mileage will vary depending on particular rooms etc.

Reactions: Bobvin

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I’ve got the one-sized-down from the Auditorium version.
How do you like the Hegel amplifiers on them?

Have you been tempted to try VAC amplifiers?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
However, can the Clarisys be set up correctly in every room?
Not really sure why this question is "Clarysis" dependent? It can be implied to literally every speaker and manufacturer and their correlation with the room they are being or indented to be used in.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Not really sure why this question is "Clarysis" dependent? It can be implied to literally every speaker and manufacturer and their correlation with the room they are being or indented to be used in.

It is really just dipole vs not dipole in this case, however one caveat being rooms too small will suffer too much bass from the Auditoriums. The bass problem would be true with any other speaker that is not trying to have a slope to match room gain, under the assumption that if you are buying a speaker that big, that nice, and that expensive you are not putting it in a coat closet.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
"Room filling", which is why I also like planars. It's like every air molecule in the room is being deployed, rather than fired at you ballistically from a radiating cone.

I think a classical music lover should go straight to horns, but for the wider musical palettes, dipole planars are great. Plus, I don't know if it's a good idea chronically to listen at the intensities and volumes that horns demand. Need to keep some of the hearing for the twilight.

During the 'loud' passages (I presume from the vid) I couldn't see any movement of the ribbons, which means they are unstressed with lots of reserve.
this is not my experience
I think a fullrange, high sensitivity horn system excels at giving fullbodied dynamic sound, even at low levels
even at low volumes you can feel the capacity and headroom present
no need to press the cow through the meatgrinder to get a squeel out in the other end.....
apart from that, I thoroughly enjoyed my Apogee Diva driven by 4 x Rowland Research Model 7s through an active DAX filter, for many years

nice report Ron....

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Also jazz and rock, albeit dual FLH for rock.

And horns are by far the best speakers at low volumes, because of the integration and straight flat impedance allows you to uniformly drive all frequencies equally well, not having to adjust volume for one driver.

And if you and Ron wanted to keep this thread devoted to Clarisys and panels, you should not have mentioned nukes in a snowball match report

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Also jazz and rock, albeit dual FLH for rock.

And horns are by far the best speakers at low volumes, because of the integration and straight flat impedance allows you to uniformly drive all frequencies equally well, not having to adjust volume for one driver.

And if you and Ron wanted to keep this thread devoted to Clarisys and panels, you should not have mentioned nukes in a snowball match report
Is that last comment a lift from The Untouchables?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
Please enjoy my interview with Cyrus, a What's Best Forum member in Spokane, WA, who recently installed one of the first pairs of Clarisys Auditorium loudspeakers in the USA, with CH Precision L10 and M10 electronics and Ideon DAC:

I actually watched this excellent interview entirely by chance last night , @Ron Resnick. Congrats on a great review. What a room and what a system! Have you heard ANY system with and without the Ideon Absolute Time? And where in the chain would one deploy it? Would it drop in between the player/streamer and the DAC? I have an Antipodes K41 and K22 and also wonder how much a device like this might improve SQ when Antipodes does such a superb job in re- clocking as it is.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing