MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Can I ask what is meant by "the GAT is still relatively new "? How many hours has the GAT2 been playing until now? Sorry if you already told, but what was the phono stage when using the GAT2?

It probably has about 500 hours on it, but it's still 'new' to me in the sense that I haven't fully explored it.

My phono stage is a CH P1.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Dimming the lights often adds noise to the power line. I never dim the lights. I turn them off or use low wattage bulbs. I do not think Ian uses his dimmer either, though I am not certain. The photos were taken during the daytime and the lights added a weird yellow tint to the photos, so I think Ron turned the lights off for the photos. Dimmed lights are not good, IMO.

Yep, can confirm dimmers suck.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Dimming the lights often adds noise to the power line. I never dim the lights. I turn them off or use low wattage bulbs. I do not think Ian uses his dimmer either, though I am not certain. The photos were taken during the daytime and the lights added a weird yellow tint to the photos, so I think Ron turned the lights off for the photos. Dimmed lights are not good, IMO.

:rolleyes:

Sorry, but I think this is exhibit z of audiophile nerviosa

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Not an audiophile product in the video. I believe most dimmers are just high frequency switchers. So it's not really a surprise to see high frequency noise injected into the line...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yep, can confirm dimmers suck.

Unfortunately you can say the same about many modern high efficiency lamps. The now almost banned filament lamps were noiseless ...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Which is why I shut off my dimmered overhead light and turn on a filament reading lamp when I listen at night.

I found that the light on the dimmer damages soundstage depth in particular and I am not the only one to hear it at my place.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This is a whole new category of problem, requiring comprehensive EMI testing and evaluation of a wide variety of dimmer topologies to determine which produces the least noise. We also need to map the frequency range of the offending dimmers. There could be intermodulation distortion as well, when the dimmer noise mixes with our audio signals, visiting upon our systems yet more sonic havoc.

Clearly this is a serious problem in need of a serious and comprehensive solution.

I recommend that all non-filament illumination devices be replaced with candles. And not just any candles: candles made with the proprietary and patent-pending TrickyWick which absorbs and removes from our listening rooms not only dimmer-generated EMI but distortion-producing fractal energy as well.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
This is a whole new category of problem, requiring comprehensive EMI testing and evaluation of a wide variety of dimmer topologies to determine which produces the least noise. We also need to map the frequency range of the offending dimmers. There could be intermodulation distortion as well, when the dimmer noise mixes with our audio signals, visiting upon our systems yet more sonic havoc.

Clearly this is a serious problem in need of a serious and comprehensive solution.

I recommend that all non-filament illumination devices be replaced with candles. And not just any candles: candles made with the proprietary and patent-pending TrickyWick which absorbs and removes from our listening rooms not only dimmer-generated EMI but distortion-producing fractal energy as well.

Just buy the filter and you're saved!:)

david

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Great idea Ron! I nominate you as the Grand Poobah of dimmer investigations and retro lighting technologies! :).

You will have full inquisition powers as you visit audiophiles and probe this vexing problem!

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Great idea Ron! I nominate you as the Grand Poobah of dimmer investigations and retro lighting technologies! :).

You will have full inquisition powers as you visit audiophiles and probe this vexing problem!
Brad, probing audiophiles is pretty dangerous territory... I’m sure Ron might not see this as advisable nor even a very sanitary thing to be tasked with... let alone being appointed and anointed an exalted poobah of dimming.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Brad, probing audiophiles is pretty dangerous territory... I’m sure Ron might not see this as advisable nor even a very sanitary thing to be tasked with... let alone being appointed and anointed an exalted poobah of dimming.

I only nominated...perhaps you want to second it?

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Lol

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
Lights are only for SS users.
Tube guys use candles.
SET guys dont need an artificial light soure. Their tubes are bright enough ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Lights are only for SS users.
Tube guys use candles.
SET guys dont need an artificial light soure. Their tubes are bright enough ;)

Lol.

And SETs guys think that SS guys are dim bulbs

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

I think the TrickyWick needs a TAS review :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

I recommend that all non-filament illumination devices be replaced with candles. And not just any candles: candles made with the proprietary and patent-pending Resnick Wick which absorbs and removes from our listening rooms not only dimmer-generated EMI but distortion-producing fractal energy as well.

It is funny that we have had this problem for decades - anyone has many of switch supplies around his system - but as no one has seriously studied the effects of mains noise in high-end equipment (this means qualify and quantify the effect) - probably your wicks will be a success. Remember you should have different types for tube, solid state and hybrid electronics.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Lol.

And SETs guys think that SS guys are dim bulbs
Ked what are you doing here now ? Should you not be out investigating all that Bangkok has to offer ?
Alternative use of candles and all !

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing