VITA-MIX Blender/processor

Apr 3, 2010
Seattle, WA
What was the line from Gene Hackman in Crimson Tide? "It is a matter of voltage" :) [talking about what it takes to make a horse move.]

In this case, it is simply a matter of high power motor and transmission, no other magic really, that makes this thing perform. Since these two things cost money, other companies skimp and performance drops.

BTW, this thing will do odd things. For example, if you put a lot of ice in there, it can mix it so fast that it freezes at the bottom! So you need a spoon to stir things a couple of times.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
What was the line from Gene Hackman in Crimson Tide? "It is a matter of voltage" :) [talking about what it takes to make a horse move.]

In this case, it is simply a matter of high power motor and transmission, no other magic really, that makes this thing perform. Since these two things cost money, other companies skimp and performance drops.

BTW, this thing will do odd things. For example, if you put a lot of ice in there, it can mix it so fast that it freezes at the bottom! So you need a spoon to stir things a couple of times.
I agree. This is nothing more than a pro unit with brass cajones. It will do anything. It comes with lots of great recipes. Also, for elderly people who cant swallow their solid pills just throw the meds into the spinning vita mix. Easy for them to swallow.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I'm a Blendtec man. Bought it in a Costco after watching them make hot tortilla soup (speed of the blades heated the liquid !!!), ice cream and all kinds of tasty and healthy smoothies. 7 year warranty. Same device that Starbucks was using. Love it. It blends and liquefies Avocado seeds, cell phones and audio subjectivists :D!!

Steve Williams

I'm a Blendtec man. Bought it in a Costco after watching them make hot tortilla soup (speed of the blades heated the liquid !!!), ice cream and all kinds of tasty and healthy smoothies. 7 year warranty. Same device that Starbucks was using. Love it. It blends and liquefies Avocado seeds, cell phones and audio subjectivists :D!!

I'll bet Blendtec is a subsidiary of Vita-Mix as that is the mixer used at Starbucks

Apr 3, 2010
Seattle, WA
Looks like they are competitors Steve. A quick search shows this feedback and this quote: http://goneraw.com/forum/blendtec-vs-vitamix

Amir

Hello all. I have finally used both the BlendTec and VitaMix… and want to give my two cents.

I heard so many good things about BlendTec, and I was in search for a high-speed blender… so I got a BlendTec. Wow, 3 HP! versus 2HP for the VitaMix. I wanted to try. I would agree with many that said the BlendTec is easy to clean – both the container and the base. And, yes it’s powerful enough that you may not need a tamper; but, don’t stuff the container too much or the food will not fall easily and get blended. (I’ve done that… and wanted a tamper) Otherwise, it’s fine; just when you think it won’t blend it all… it does! The VitaMix is a bit trickier to clean out, but the container is bigger to fit that extra liquid and I really like my tamper! This way, I can move the blended food around so I know I have reached the right consistency – like for creamy dressings or no-bake creme pies. The BlendTec allows you to start the blending and you can walk away to do something else and it will stop on its own. Wonderful!!! ...except, you may have to clean up the few drops that came flying out from that tiny hole on the top of the lid. What I like about VitaMix the most (which BlendTec doesn’t have) is that it has that opening on the top to throw in a few more ingredients. You have to open the lid on the BlendTec; I thought maybe you can remove that middle thing on the lid, but I didn’t try too hard. Oh yes, and the other thing I like most about the VitaMix is that it has a longer warranty. The most thing I like about BlendTec (which VitaMix doesn’t have) is that it fits on my countertop under my cabinets.

I dealt with BlendTec customer service because the base was not level and they immediately sent me a replacement. It seems they really can’t fit all that stuff in the base… but, the replacement is stable, you can tell it’s “crammed” in there.

I don’t plan to return the BlendTec for 2 reasons: 1) It is $50 less than the VitaMix and 2) I already have a VitaMix (my in-laws are using it right now).

Both are great blenders. My husband thinks that the BlendTec is not as powerful as the VitaMix… judging only by the amount of sound they make… and a few chunks of food we find more often in our BlendTec blended mixture. Maybe I will blend it longer… but, what’s the point of preset settings if they can’t do the job right the first time. Also, VitaMix has more than twice the warranty that BlendTec has.

I know, it sounds like I prefer VitaMix… but I think I will use the BlendTec more often only because it fits on my counter better in my tiny kitchen. The true test will be when I make my orange creme pie. The chef (of this recipe) said you could only make it in a VitaMix (I think she meant high-speed blender)... so if the BlendTec can do it, I’ll be happier.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
When I purchased the Blendtec at Costco, they extended the warranty to seven years from the normal 3 or 4. The regular Vitamix wouldn't fit under our counter and the Blendtec also has larger optional container. I purchased the Blendtec, not because it was better than the Vitamix but because I'm a sucker for a great demo and the first guy that demoed it was an ace!! (that was also the reason I purchased my pair of Wilson speakers a long time ago)

deandome

Jun 17, 2010
Nah...their arch rivals.

In fact, Blendec sued Vita-Mix for infringing on several patents re the jars/blades used on Vita-Mix's commercial machines....and WON...in federal court: http://www.blendtec.com/Commercial/news/details/3f408d51-a2e2-4176-a7c0-d0b42c2ebdeb

This raises some serious questions; All Vita-Mix commercial beverage/bar machines are ONLY sold with those contested, square-shaped jars that use a wide, 'wing'-shaped blade w/upturned ends sealed in a non-removable base.....and that DO NOT incorporate plungers (std. in ALL BlendTecs, home & commercial).

How, then, can they keep touting that the jars on their HOME machines, with their round shape, smaller, x-shaped flat blade, removable base and PLUNGER are so much better than BlendTec's? Seems to me that the commercial beverage/smoothie outfits using VitaMix would demand & recieve the best performance/technology available.

Why then are the newer, pro-level jars clearly copying BlendTec instead of utilizing the features they claim make their home machines so wonderful? I mean, you come of the Vita-Mix demos 9and website) thinking the plunger is a sacred icon sent from the lord himself & that no other heathen blender could make a decent smoothie without one. Except, I guess, for the tens of thousands of people working with vita-mix machines at Jamba Juice, Caribou Coffee & countless other places selling smoothies, shakes & other drinks

The removable vs. sealed blade units can be explained off because of the NSA/sanitation requirements for commercial gear (the o-ring, joints & blade welds could hide bacteria). But they could easily have created a commercial version of their round jar that used a non-removable, flat, one-piece 'x-blade', sealed into the base.

What gives?

I'll bet Blendtec is a subsidiary of Vita-Mix as that is the mixer used at Starbucks

Steve Williams

In my neck of the woods all we ever hear about is VitaMix not Blendtec. Does it all boil down to better marketing on their part.

BTW great first post. Do you work for Blendtec

deandome

Jun 17, 2010
Hi, all.

I'm more than a little obsessive when it comes to comparison shopping, particularly on big-ticket items. So before I made my choice a while back, I waded thru endless comparisons, discussions, features & price options before choosing my commercial BlendTec COMMERCIAL 13 amp 'SpaceSaver'.

I'll get into the specifics of that model/choice later, but here's what I've kinda come to accept as "the way it is" when comparing their home-use machines...

Vita-Mix makes great machines; solid, heavy, long history of excellence...the whole shabang. I like the fact you can change speeds so easily w/the knob, even WHILE you're blending, it's lowest speed is significantly lower than that of the Blendtec and I like the fact that the plunger is available if/when you actually need it.

But I didn't like the way the base/blade/jar are all separate unit that screw together; That is unsanitary and can & does sometimes lead to messy spills if you don't check for tightness regularly, the lid is a little more awkward, I just don't get the idea behind needing a separate jar for dry stuff. And it's all manual, no pre-programmed cycles, it's a very tall setup and those manual controls are a magnet for spills & gunk.

BlendTec is more powerful, has what looks to be a more solid, simple, easy-to-clean blade/jar setup, the touchpad is nice/easily to clean a vast array of one-touch, multi-step/multi-speed mixing 'profiles', it's a lot shorter, the square jar gives you three pouring spouts (huge feature...you'll find yourself using the side spout more than the one across from the handle!!) and the HP3A model is significantly cheaper than the 5200 Vita-Mix.

But it's louder (not by a ton, but noticeable), the warranty is shorter, manual controls are nice, especially for food preparation (vs. drinks).

In the end, it seems pretty clear to me that if you're MOSTLY going to use the blender for beverages thick & thin, than the BlendTec is a better choice due to the profiles, easy-to-clean panel & jar, extra power & jar design....oh, and they make a cool jar just for milkshakes!
But if you realistically see yourself using it as much (ior more) for food preparation; making flour, nut butters, pestos...then the Vita-Mix does a bit better...but only if you get the extra 'dry jar'.

With that jar, the home VM is $549 + tax, no exceptions anywhere ($449 with only the one wet-jar). Blendtec is $399...significantly cheaper than either VM option.

This brings me to my other conclusion, namely that with EITHER brand, you can enjoy some real savings & benefits by going w/their commercial products vs. the home models. Commercial models are either IDENTICAL to the home versions re. parts & features, or they're actually better/more robust. The only drawback is that the warranties are shorter...but if/when these things fail, it's usually in the first year, not years 2-7.

Most importantly...there's no 'price fixing' on these...retailers/etailers can & DO discount them as they see fit. This is where I got mine...they're good people w/GREAT prices (free ship & no tax, at least for me!(, and you can explore both brands/all models very easily: http://www.everythingkitchens.com/commercial_blender.html

Blendec makes 2 home models, each of which has a commercial version that is EXACTLY the same:

Home (both w/one jar):
HP3A = $400, one jar (but nice, $50 gift cert with this offer: http://www.everythingkitchens.com/blendtec-total-blender-blendtec-hp3a-blender-3-qt.html )
Connoisseur = $650 (can be mounted flush...w/motor under the countertop, but doesn't have to be)

Commercial (both come w/TWO jars):
EZ 13 amp = $369, and this place has included (for over 2 year) 3 CASES of a Jet Smoothie mix (9 GALLONS in 64oz. sterile boxes too much, actually, but it's good & completely free...no shipping, even!).
SpaceSaver 13 amp: $584, SAME Smoothie Mix bonus...worth about $250 when you look up prices of those 64 oz cartons).

Vita-Mix:

Home:
5200: $450-650, depending on package.

Commercial (ALL commercial models have same Jet Smoothie Mix bonus as explained above. Same motors as 5200, but no exact clones...but SEVERAL models, w/wide variety of features...some at GREAT Prices):
BarBoss - $402, old-style/discontinued machine & jar) with SAME Smoothie-Mix bonus!
BarBoss = $446 but new model HAS programs/profiles/pushbuttons & "Advance Jar" (aka BlendTec Clone) & same smoothie mix deal
VitaPrep 2hp = $392 (3hp = $497)
Drink Machine = $354, only 2 speeds, but a great deal!

Hope that's not too much rambling! BTW, I got the 13amp SpaceSaver, as I will indeed drop this into the counter at my next house (if possible...it's nice to have the option!). Again, the people at everythingkitchens are GREAT people.

Last edited:

deandome

Jun 17, 2010
No...I guess shelling out 5 bills for a freaking blender makes one a bit of a fanboy for whatever brand you choose !:D

And I guess I am a bit ticked off at the hypocrisy of screaming to consumers that the round jar, it's blade & plunger are much better than square containers w/wide/uptunred blades....then shifting all your commercial products to new "Advance Jars" that are square & use wide upturned blades. :confused: But I came dam close to getting the VitaPrep 3, and you can't deny VM makes good products that people love.

But we got our blender mostly because my wife was disillusioned by Breville juicer we got; you have to peel/de-seed/chop the fruit/veggies like your'e gonna eat it...there's SO much waste/so little juice (my god...dump a $4 pint of blueberries in and you're lucky to get 1/3 cup of juice!), it' a nightmare to clean...we just didn't use it after a few tries. IMO the blender is much better for most juices (not wheat grass); you can plop many fruits & veggies in whole (not oranges or peaches, obviously), as the skins & SMALL seeds are liquified. I enjoyed carrot juice much more out of the blender than the juicer.

Personally, I think the demonstrators, websites & forums for both mfgs create & foster the IDEA that you're gonna use these things 3 times a day for everything you eat; grinding wheat into flour, making nut butters, soup (even to cook/heat it!), salsa and even mashed potatoes (that made me laugh). A small percentage of the uber-green/vegan/raw food nutjo...er, socially conscious buyers will do a bunch of that, and the VitaMix is probby better for them. But I think the rest of us will use it 85+% of the time for beverages & purees...and Blendtec's programs, cycles, design & power make it better for that.

And we DO use it a lot...more than I thought...for shakes, smoothies (veggie & fruit), potent -potables (GREAT ice for margaritas & stuff...it's like snow) & stuff. My wife got like 8 lbs of strawberries at a pick-yer-own farm today...most will go thru the Blendtec.

But I kinda figured out (before buying) that I didn't need or WANT this machine to replace my hand mixer, immersion blender and/or mandoline, as it simply cannot do those tasks nearly as well...so I went with the machine that excels in drink-making.

I gotta say, I cook a lot & do it very well (more & better than The Missus...and she'd be the first to say so)...and I can't IMAGINE trying to COOK a soup in a blender without browning the onions/mierpoix/roux beforehand. Cream and/or cheese soups fall apart under hard blending. With only a handful of exceptions, who even WANTS hyper-smooth soup, and many of those exceptions are cream=based (bisques, "cream of...", etc) which users say do NOT work well being blended a lot (that's why god created immersion blenders, which rock!). Use your blender to prep your ingredients for sauces/soups not to cook them.

In my neck of the woods all we ever hear about is VitaMix not Blendtec. Does it all boil down to better marketing on their part.

BTW great first post. Do you work for Blendtec

Last edited:

vsawyer

Oct 26, 2010
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum! I got my Vitamix 5200 last year from Costco and I am blown away by how incredible it is. I use it just about every day now. I can't believe I can make my own ice cream and almond milk! The vegetable cocktails are amazing. I'm developing a product that has to do with Vitamix. Send me any question you have related to the Vitamix blender via this link http://vitamix5200.org/question and I'll send you a free copy of the product when it is finished. I want to make sure I answer everyone's questions! Really excited to hear your responses.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
go for it. have enjoyed ours for 6 years...after burning out 5 handhelds and not finding much use for 2 ordinary blenders we borrowed and found could not handle ice, etc.

They are really great...enjoy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing