VTL Siegfried II - long term report

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I don't think the ML3 will show its best with any speakers below 100db...even when Steve says it works superbly with his XLF. I have the ML3 in my system for a year now and it does extraordinary things in my system. There are shortcomings in my system but I don't think they are from the ML3. Some amps might do better in some aspect than the ML3 but those are not ML3's shortcomings. Those are things the ML3 can not do as extraordinary. I can point two aspects out, the precision in locating instruments in symphony and the ability to capture a snap shot like photography of the recording. The CH M1 and probably Mike's Dartz can do those better. You can call coloration or anything as wish but the ML3 fools me with the sense of Live sound more than anything I have heard so far.

Kind regards,
Tang

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I don't think the ML3 will show its best with any speakers below 100db...even when Steve says it works superbly with his XLF. I have the ML3 in my system for a year now and it does extraordinary things in my system. There are shortcomings in my system but I don't think they are from the ML3. Some amps might do better in some aspect than the ML3 but those are not ML3's shortcomings. Those are things the ML3 can not do as extraordinary. I can point two aspects out, the precision in locating instruments in symphony and the ability to capture a snap shot like photography of the recording. The CH M1 and probably Mike's Dartz can do those better. You can call coloration or anything as wish but the ML3 fools me with the sense of Live sound more than anything I have heard so far.

Kind regards,
Tang
when the ML3's are in their design envelope of speaker control in an appropriate space, they do image localization perfectly in their own way. you get more information about the real action of the musical event, but maybe less of that musical thread's outline or exact spot in space, and less outer ambient light, and less macro dynamic scale and authority, compared to other amplifiers....i compared it to.

they are right here doing things.......verses......you are there with them....and that 'there' is more fully defined.

so we should not want the ML3 to be different than it is. it does it's thing perfectly i think. for sure each approach serves various musical genres differently. and neither is all one way at the expense of the other way....but there are strengths of each.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Kind regards,
Tang
The surprising thing is why the first statement is not obvious to all. I don't consider such things subjective preferences. They are obvious. Anyone who disagrees can either not hear the obvious (no golden ears required) or are super at being dishonest to themselves in audio. The lucky guys can then purchase anything and pretend it sounds good for their subjective preference

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
The surprising thing is why the first statement is not obvious to all. I don't consider such things subjective preferences. They are obvious. Anyone who disagrees can either not hear the obvious (no golden ears required) or are super at being dishonest to themselves in audio. The lucky guys can then purchase anything and pretend it sounds good for their subjective preference
I think the ML3’s are so wonderful at certain things that they blind us to their limitations. We just don’t care or can’t admit that they have limits. The pull of that addictive sound is powerful. I know I’ll always be haunted by it, but cherish it’s place in my memory. Glad I had my fling.

Don’t judge too harshly the lies people tell themselves about their vices. It’s only human.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I think the ML3’s are so wonderful at certain things that they blind us to their limitations. We just don’t care or can’t admit that they have limits. The pull of that addictive sound is powerful.
Very much agreed to this. And it is does not just apply to the ML3. Some other equipments also.

Kind regards,
Tang

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing