Waversa Wcore, WRouter, Streamer

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
For those that may be interested, Waversa rolled out a new development that to my current understanding is novel for the industry and has been met with overall favorable reviews. The technology is evolving and I foresee only ongoing improvements moving forward.

WAP / X (Waversa Audio Processor Extension) that reproduces the sound of vacuum tubes

The characteristics of a vacuum tube amplifier that has been deeply loved for its warm tone are reproduced using digital technology. These overtone characteristics of WAP / X were developed focusing on the 1940's WE300B.

The technology adds a sense of overtones in WAP / X and WAP, realizing the sound of a transparent and warm vacuum tube, digitally reproduced technology designed to be upgradeable in future firmware updates.

High-end audio processing is a fairly complicated process involving a huge amount of data in real-time. Waversa addresses this in two parts. The most recent breakthrough is to task the new generation field-programmable gate array, which unknown to most of us, including myself, is an exceedingly complex fast logic circuit that has proven to handle these resource-intensive algorithms. By tasking the FPGA to take on the overtone processing algorithm [WAP/X], this processing can be done accurately to many harmonics in real-time.

Some say that analog sounds are bright and warm, while digital sounds are cool and crisp. It is also thought that harmonics are masked by jitter and electrical noise inherent in digital equipment. All DAC manufacturers have understandably focused on minimizing these issues. Waversa over the years was able to characterize the harmonics of a classic 1942 Western Electric 300b and digitally replicate using a hardware-based algorithm integrated into both the new generation FPGA and Waversa Audio Processor (WAP). As a result, you can feel warm overtones without the vacuum tube. If you want to hear higher harmonics, the only way to get them is virtual because there is a limit no matter how good a vacuum tube is. Currently, the end-user can select this type of processing or bypass it. In future firmware updates, the degree of harmonics will also be adjustable.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Waversa is not alone, the new Sparkler S512 DAC does something similar:

16-bit, reconsideration and new approach ? Development history of “D/A processor engine”
The reason why digital audio became popular was the CD (compact disc) that appeared in 1982. Since then, the digitalization of music media has progressed remarkably and has been further supported by the spread of computer technology and the Internet. On the other hand, analog discs such as LP records have been declining temporarily due to the wave of digitalization, but in recent years, not only audiophiles but also many people have come to review again. That’s because there is a world of elaborate and rich sound that can only be enjoyed with analog records, and we also feel that there is something missing in digital audio. So what is the missing part?
When the CD was born, of course, there was no “high-resolution” music distribution as it is today, and it was thought that 16-bit sound could surpass the quality of analog records. Surely, CDs are easier to handle, reduced noise, and the track can be selected with remote control. Once the CD was recognized as a standard format suitable for music media, its playback devices also spread dramatically on the market, and along with that, it became possible to listen to numerous types of music on the CD. It is certain that there are points beyond the vinyl disc in this way, but it cannot be denied that there are some points that are not so in the sense of hearing.
Then, it is not so easy to say that it will be better if it is digitized more finely. The aim of so-called “high-resolution” is to transmit analog signals more finely and with higher precision digitizing. It can be acceptable because it is inevitably associated with the development of digital technology. But then, no matter where we go, we won’t leave the field of digitization. Many new formats that exceed the performance of CDs are defined one after another, and the advantages of each are being promoted, but there is still no overwhelming market to replace CDs. Because it is annoying to have a variety of formats for ordinary listeners, and it’s enough because we can usually enjoy music on CDs already on the market. Also, the CD in a beautiful jacket has a presence rather than just the data on the computer, and we want to keep it like a favourite book.
Our main focus is on the lack of usefulness of CDs. There is a feeling that we also want to try high-resolution, but it is a shame that we don’t have time to change and handle it halfway. So we decided to do our best with the CD for a while. However, if we listen to the music carefully, the sound quality of the CD is still very impressive, and we respect the excellent achievement of the basic research of the predecessors. Certainly, 16-bit performance is too good for the human ear, and there is no doubt that there are more possibilities if it can be played properly.
We will approach the main topic from now on, but one thing we are interested in recently is that compared to analog records, the sound quality of a CD is that the harmonic content is not clear. In other words, the sound does not “stand” like a live musical instrument, and there is a feeling of “sleepy” that is peculiar to digital. It is not a lucid sound. Interestingly, it is not limited to CDs, and we get a similar impression when we listen to a high-resolution sound source. Perhaps it was missing or altered by digitization itself. On the other hand, the playback of analog records is more like the way a musical instrument sounds because there is a process of physically rubbing a groove.
To explain such an impression in technical terms, it means that “the higher the frequency, the more unclear the phase”. The phase represents a position on the time axis of a periodically changing wave. If the phase of the harmonic component is significantly shifted, the timbre will be different, so there will be no instrument-specific sound. If the phase is disturbed, the chords is not played in harmony, the focusing of the sound image is ambiguous, and the parts of the instrument that contain their specific overtones cannot be determined. Moreover, the loss or alteration has already occurred when the analog signal is converted into a digital signal, and even if the reproduction device restores the digital signal to analog faithfully, the phase once shifted is not restored. The sound quality is so smooth and transparent that it is aimed at faithful reproduction such as oversampling method, but it alone is boring. For example, the tension of a piano string that vibrates with a strong keystroke, or the sparkling overtone in the prompt sound, will not come out even if the digital signal is reproduced faithfully. The high range is delayed by one tempo no matter how many times we listen. But we aim to reproduce it. The vibration of a piano string actually contains over 7th harmonic components (more than 3 octave overtone), which determine the unique sound of the piano. When playing back musical tone, we feel that it is very important to be able to hear the pitch clearly.
When the phase shift between the fundamental and overtone occurs,
the waveform changes every moment and can be heard as a beat.
The foot of the lighthouse was really dark. That is probably because the original digital signal itself is already out of phase. As a result of forcibly rounding the position on the time axis at the sampling frequency of 44.1 kHz, the phase is not correctly recorded, and the phase may already be shifted from the original analog signal. They are also called “phase distortion”, which means that they are not in line. We won’t go into detail because it goes into the difficult sampling theory, but we think that you can understand the audibility from experience. In an extreme example, it looks like white noise when not receiving FM broadcasts, and the sound image is not focused anywhere. The natural space where musical tone resonate is on the other side. CDs that are not good at recording or digitizing will not produce a decent sound no matter how the original sound is played, but the key to solving it should be elsewhere. Therefore, after the digital signal is converted to an analog signal by a device called a digital to analog converter (DAC), it is necessary to correct this shifted phase in the entire audio system. There is not much problem with a modern amplifier with a simple characteristic, but with a classic amplifier with a narrow band, the phase is gradually delayed in the high frequency range, and even in the ultra high frequency range, oscillation may occur. In comparison, loudspeakers are not very accurate in phase and have a strong character. Cables that are often overlooked are also spiders. When listening in total, the phase is still out of phase. Jitter is also a temporal fluctuation of a digital signal like an arrhythmia, so it also affects the sound quality. Apparently the human sense seems to be particularly sensitive to time fluctuations.
Furthermore, it is also necessary to electrically compensate for the super-high frequency overtone component that has been lost due to the digitization of a limited band, as occurs in an actual musical instrument. Many of them will not be heard by human ears, but they feel as if the instrument is sounding there, and the tension and atmosphere of the air. It becomes even more difficult to reproduce the sound field and the sound of the hall. However, this can be improved by correcting the phase shift, and the sound reverberates beyond the presence of the loudspeakers. However, if we make a big deal like multi-channel surround, we can’t use the existing audio system as it is. Can we manage it in the range of two channel stereo? This is because it is the most desirable and practical way to make it closer to a realistic acoustic space by simply modifying a part of the existing system.
Up to this point, we haven’t gone out of speculation and contemplation, so we decided to prototype a DAC with such phase correction. Non-oversampling (NOS), which does not process digital signals, is rather convenient for experiments because the phase characteristics remain as they are. After converting to an analog signal with a standard 16-bit NOS-DAC, we first passed a filter that gradually advanced the phase in proportion to the frequency in the audible band where the human ear is sensitive. Next, in order to generate a missing harmonic component, a circuit that emulates a triode vacuum tube with a relatively high harmonic distortion was assembled with a semiconductor. As a result of repeating the audition with various parameters changed, it became a very realistic and pleasant sound with a certain correction value. It was unnatural if it was overcorrected, but it doesn’t have to be as strict as pinpointing. The older recordings is more effective, so the old equipment was probably out of phase. If the correction is appropriate, the delicate passages that have been buried will come out. It doesn’t hear like a CD, but rather close to the sound of a fine analog record. The sound quality is crisp and it is almost like a record needle physically rubbing a groove. In addition, the space expression of the performance venue becomes more natural, and we can feel the sound of being wrapped anywhere in the room despite the two channels. A person happened to hear this prototype and was wondering where it was sounding. Of course, when I answered that they were from these two speakers, he couldn’t hear that way, and looked around mysteriously that there were other speakers somewhere. We are working hard to further refine this prototype and commercialize it as a 16-bit DAC with a new approach. <10 October, 2019>

Reactions: ketcham

pilgerman

Jun 13, 2010
An update on how things are going with my three Waversa units... I have a USB Blaster, instructions, and the programs to do the updates to the DAC3c. When I get it together to do that, I'll be sure to post here with the results.

In the meantime, I've experienced another performance improvement, specifically quite markedly improved resolution of fine detail, "dimensionality" and "air". I'm not sure exactly what has made this happen, but I suspect, because of timing, that it was the addition of a 12V Sbooster to my system.

My modem/router are in the basement. The Modem has two ethernet ports. I use one to connect to my main system upstairs with a 40ft ethernet cable to the Wrouter. The second port connects an inexpensive metal-case Dlink switch via two ethernet cables with an EMO isolator between them (to try to block anything coming back to the modem from all the equipment on the home theatre side). My TV, receiver, blu-ray player and Apple TV all connect to the switch. I had an Ifi upgrade 12V wall wart adapter and DC purifier on the switch.

My ISP will not support 3rd party modems/routers, and supplies a Technicolor Gateway using a Broadcom chip. That's good, as speed and reliability are excellent. However, the unit has an internal DC power supply. This means I can't put a linear power supply on the Gateway, since it connects directly to AC with a figure-eight plug. I have the Gateway plugged into an Equitech balanced transformer, so at least there is isolation and some filtering. I use a Nordost power cord to the Gateway.

I placed the Sbooster on the Dlink switch. It seemed a bit odd, to say the least, adding a $400 power supply to a $40 switch. However, as the Sbooster has burned in, I've noticed really nice improvement to the video and sound in the "TV" system. The video is significantly improved, much smoother and more "cinematic", with richer colour and denser, cleaner blacks. Quite "dramatic", actually.

What seems to be a real side benefit is the improvement to the sound in the main system upstairs. Even though there is the EMO isolator between the Gateway and the Dlink switch and home theatre equipment, I suspect there was still noise coming back from that equipment into the Gateway and thence into the system upstairs. I can't think of another explanation that accounts for the changes upstairs, especially since it happened in the days immediately following installation of the Sbooster.

I could, by opening another account with the ISP, install a second ISP supplied less powerful modem/router (in bridge mode) with an outboard DC supply and dedicated to the upstairs system. I could replace its power supply with the same, or another Sbooster. I'll have to think about that...

pilgerman

Jun 13, 2010
I finally found the time to do the reprogramming of the WDAC3C and Wrouter for WAP/X support. Now I really understand what FPGA means… Never thought I would be doing something like that. Never thought I would become an Intel client. Good thing I like new experiences...

For an explanation of WAP/X, see John Ketcham’s borrowed from Waversa a couple posts back. Essentially, as I understand it, Waversa has implemented addition of harmonics to the output of its WAP processing via new custom designed algorithms. The algorithms are based on analyses of the harmonic structure of the output of the 1940s WE 300B. I was very curious to hear the result, given that my previous DAC, the Allnic D-5000, used a DHT analog output stage.

The programming of the chips in each of the units, followed by firmware updates, provided new circuit configurations for the new WAP/X processing on the chips in the DAC3C and Wrouter, as well as updates to the Beta version of the Waversa remote, operated through the owner’s WDAC3C webpage. To start with the latter, the new features, which are a snap to use, are a WAP/X on or off toggle and a selector for three levels of WAP/X processing. Level 1 is the recommended setting.

My conclusions are that I prefer the WAP/X on, at the recommended level 1 position. It’s not a night and day difference from what I get without it in my system, but with WAP/X set to level 1, there is more of the “purity” that a DHT provides. This translates to enhanced “three-dimensionality”, and improved reproduction of the timbre of instruments and voices, as well as additional “ease” or “smoothness” or “relaxed presentation” (there are lots of ways I have read to characterize it). To my ears, the sound is now even more similar to what I get from analog in my system, and really getting tough to distinguish from it.

I mentioned in my original comments on the Waversa gear that I was most impressed by the natural quality, the truthfulness of the reproduction of the sound of instruments and voices, especially through use of the WNDR path, from WCore, to Wrouter, to WDAC3C. This is now even better. I’m surprised at how much more natural and real these aspects of the music have become. It’s taken my breath away on more than a few occasions. This has been accomplished without any loss of PRAT or dynamics. I have some musician friends who know my system well, and I’m looking forward to getting their reactions, when we’re all comfortable sitting in close quarters again.

The result I’m hearing makes sense to me, based on what Waversa has said and the material about the Sparkler S512 DAC from Matthias in the post above (given my very limited knowledge in the field and, therefore, very limited and, perhaps, inaccurate understanding). So, for what it’s worth… If the introduction of the harmonics that tubes inherently accentuate (which is a kind of distortion of the fundamental signal), without the addition of other distortions in the tube circuit due to the physical limits of the tubes and other required parts, can “rebuild” the natural harmonics of instruments and voices that are lost in the process of digitization, then it should be no surprise that the result is a more “analog”, i.e. “realistic” sound. I suppose that will all depend in large part on the quality of the analysis of the tube’s harmonic characteristics and the isolation of those characteristics from others, the construction/quality of the algorithms to emulate them, and the hardware’s ability to deal with those algorithms. And how that will play out in a specific system… all “beyond my pay grade”.

Of course, I tried WAP/X levels two and three. Level 2 is not so different from level one, except that I found the bass, from the lowest to the upper frequencies, too “bloomy”; not only as if it became less lithe and articulate, but also as if it was providing a kind of “halo” effect around all the other instruments. It was subtle, though. At level 3, it was not subtle… In my system, it was too much and quite unnatural, as if the music was surrounded by and being carried along on a wave of… I can’t even put it into words. I’m not sure of the utility of levels two and three, but I can’t make a generalization based on their effects on my all tube system with a DHT preamplifier. I did notice that these “negative” (to my ears) effects diminished over the course of several days listening as I went back to check if my impressions remained the same. My experience with this apparent effect of “burn-in” or “aging” as Google translator calls it, correlates with what other users have reported. I got this from the translated Waversa website blog. Mr. Shin, Waversa’s principal, says he thought “aging” would not have any effect because only the FPGA chips were changed. However, he changed his mind and admitted that it could have an effect because the changes over time were reported so consistently. He offers no theories about why this could happen, and neither do I.

I‘ve been enjoying the music even more with WAP/ X on, at level one; others might prefer it off or set to level two or three, depending on system synergies and taste. In short, WAP/X is a very nice option to have, especially at no additional cost.

moby2004

Jan 21, 2018
Hi all

I am currently using a Wrouter that I am enjoying very much. The Ethernet ports are battery generated ( 18650 ) but those batteries are starting to weaken a bit. Anyone has recommendations for 18650 batteries ?
Thanks
Alex

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
Hi Alex,

PM me your address and phone number and I will send you out some. Let me know the lowest voltages of the batteries.

info@kevalinaudio.com

Sincerely,

John.

Patatorz

VIP/Donor
Aug 8, 2015
France
patatorz.com
Dear Smarthub experts, I’m wondering if some different hardware of the smarthub had need release since this product went on the market. Same question for firmware. As I have a? opportunity of buying a second hand product, I’m wondering if I need to pay attention to this aspect.Thanks for tour support.

Ludovic

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
Dear Ludovic,

The Smarthub has been around for 4-5 years now and the only change is the chassis to accommodate the mainstream AA lithium ion battery type that is more commonly found. The manufacturer states these batteries have a one year lifespan but my experience is 3 years. The smart hub is best to leave on always and two battery packs run while the other two charge. This cycle process is automated. Any battery displaying voltages less than 3.5V should be replaced.

The original battery packs are difficult to source in Korea but still are available in N. American markets and Ebay. Waversa did make a neat extension to the original chassis for those with an older model. I most likely can source one for you if you wish.

Waversa gear is always updating the firmware. This is completed over the network and an easy process should you decide to purchase the unit. Please PM me for details.

Best Regards,

John Ketcham

Kevalin Audio.

Portland, OR., USA.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Hi guys, i'm very interested to purchase a Wcore 2.0 to use Roon for Qobuz streaming paired with a Totaldac with the streaming option.
I want high quality streaming for a compact rig consisting of a pair of speakers, a Gryphon Diablo 300, a Totaldac single box and this Wcore 2.0 for Roon.
What do you guys think ? do i need to add an audiophile switch or not ?
Thanks

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
Hi Thielste,

That is my set up at home. Interestingly the new version the Vdac with the right tube complement is on par with TD12mkii, side by side.

An upstream audiophile switch does bring sonic improvement. When you link up various network devices by Waversa, you take advantage of additional innovations by Collin Shin, such as the buffer-less DLNA like protocol called WNDR. Their DSD protocol "Native DSD". And additional digital processing by their in house Waversa Audio Processor. The new Wbridge has the most current version of this chip design for even better processing capabilities.

The WCore 2.0 is impressive as a stand alone unit as well.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Hi Thielste,

That is my set up at home. Interestingly the new version the Vdac with the right tube complement is on par with TD12mkii, side by side.

An upstream audiophile switch does bring sonic improvement. When you link up various network devices by Waversa, you take advantage of additional innovations by Collin Shin, such as the buffer-less DLNA like protocol called WNDR. Their DSD protocol "Native DSD". And additional digital processing by their in house Waversa Audio Processor. The new Wbridge has the most current version of this chip design for even better processing capabilities.

The WCore 2.0 is impressive as a stand alone unit as well.

Hi ketcham, thanks for your input therefore adding the Smarthub to the Wcore 2.0 would be a good move ?
Regarding Totaldac i yet have to determine if i make the effort to purchase the d1-direct and d1-streamer which is a substantial amount of money or get the new d1-tube mk2 + streaming option ?
That is a difficult question to answer.

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
Yes the smart hub is a good move, the Wrouter is better, the Wbridge basic or standard as a switch is best. If your Ethernet run is over 6 meters, best to have any switch before your audio equipment. An audiophile grade is better choice.

Speak with Vincent directly regarding your options. He is one of the most direct and honest engineers in the industry and someone I hold in very high regard. Like Waversa his products command my respect. My instincts are the TD direct is the best value to performance in his product line. I would favor this over his tube output stage.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Yes the smart hub is a good move, the Wrouter is better, the Wbridge basic or standard as a switch is best. If your Ethernet run is over 6 meters, best to have any switch before your audio equipment. An audiophile grade is better choice.

Speak with Vincent directly regarding your options. He is one of the most direct and honest engineers in the industry and someone I hold in very high regard. Like Waversa his products command my respect. My instincts are the TD direct is the best value to performance in his product line. I would favor this over his tube output stage.

You are right the d1-direct is a better investment if i keep it for a certain number of years.
I will check out the Waversa gear you recommend thanks.

Hydrology

Sep 14, 2020
I’ve read up on the differences between the WCore 1.0 and 2.0 and while I can see the differences, does the large price difference justify itself? I have an Innuos ZEN MK3 so curious if either/bth could be considered an upgrade.

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
The WCore 2.0 is a 15-20% increase in performance, by my subjective estimation. For N. American markets I decided to discontinue importing the WCore 1.0. I can special order one if a customer is absolute. Waversa is also releasing a WCore Pro, a much more complex design and exponentially more expensive. Both the WCore 2.0 and WCore Pro will be available to N. American markets.

Those who reside in N. America and may be interested in a WCore 2.0, can PM for pricing and configuration options.

Any technical questions or best application practices or subjective impression welcomed anytime. PM me.

pilgerman

Jun 13, 2010
I haven’t posted for a while and I’ve made a couple of changes, so I thought I should say a few words about them. Because of the nature of those changes, I’m not sure where to put these comments, but I thought I’d start here because both changes affect the WRouter and the WCore, though also my Waversa VDAC, DAC3C and my TV system (it’s too much of a stretch to call it a “theatre”). What I’ve added to the system are a Waversa hybrid LPS and two (so far) Waversa LAN isolators.

Preliminary – A while ago I was able to upgrade my Technicolor Gateway to the latest version powered by an external wall-wart switching supply and having two more ethernet ports. This allowed me to get rid of the D-Link switch and use an Sbooster with the Gateway.

I’ll start with the WLPS H/P. As noted, I was using an Sbooster to power the 12V Technicolor Gateway modem/router. The Gateway serves both my TV set-up and my stereo systems. I use two 1m lengths of Nordost Heimdall 2 ethernet cable between the Gateway and the TV system. Between the two lengths of cable there is an EMO medical LAN isolator to break the ground connection and prevent noise from the TV system travelling on the ground from going into the stereo systems, as well as prevent ground hum caused by the systems being on different circuits. It works, too, for the hum anyway: hum in the main system without and none with. I have two 20ft lengths of custom unshielded CAT6e cable (one with ferrite ring), also joined by an EMO isolator, from the Gateway to the WRouter, 40ft of Audioquest Pearl with the shield floating at one end between the Wrouter and an Oppo player in the TV system (for two channel music there), and 20ft each of fully shielded Audioquest Pearl and Forest joined with one more of the EMO isolators running from the Wrouter to the DAC3C in the office system. The Sbooster made a big difference in all the systems in all parameters over the standard wall-wart, and that included with video. I think the improvements all stemmed from a lowering of the noise floor. I don’t have measurements, but it was easy to go back and forth between the Sbooster and the wall-wart to verify my impressions. The Sbooster was absolutely a keeper.

Not long ago, John Ketcham of Kevalin Audio offered me the opportunity to try the Waversa hybrid LPS, the “WLPS H/P”, and (not very) long story short, I bought the Waversa and sold the Sbooster. While the difference between the two on the Gateway was not as large as the difference between the Sbooster and the wall-wart originally, the sonic and video benefits of the Waversa LPS relative to those of the Sbooster were still obvious and again across the board. I was surprised by this. The Waversa has a high-power third-party switching supply plugged into the wall supplying the internal Waversa-made LPS, which also applies filtering. That’s all well and good, but I’m not sure how the LPS actually works, or why this hybrid unit should react better in my system than the Sbooster “pure” LPS. However, I’ve read from some other designers/manufacturers that an LPS really is not the best solution for a digital device; they recommend using only the switching supply that accompanies their device or they have adopted some form of hybrid power supply. Anyway, the Waversa also operates from 5 to 24V (custom variable) with two output channels capable of simultaneous operation and up to 10 amps output for each channel. If I want to power another device at some point, I have the facility to do so without needing to purchase another LPS. While I was writing this, a Google search gave me a Korean article that provides more information and was apparently written for Korea’s HiFi Club (there is also a HiFi Club video review by the same author). I utilised Google’s translator to read it: http://raheader.egloos.com/v/4438735 More info (including a video) can be found directly at HiFi Club:

https://translate.google.com/transl...e=brd_10281&mkr_code=2906&prev=search&pto=aue

Now… some months later, John suggested I try Waversa’s new LAN isolator on my VDAC. I said “okay…” and he sent me an internal one to install inside the VDAC (N.B. Internal isolators are for Waversa products only and installation involves some careful work, though no soldering). The result was not at all subtle - and immediate – no waiting for burn-in! It was rather shocking, actually: leading edges were faster and cleaner, music was more dynamic sounding generally, and more transparent with the soundstage enhanced in dimensionality and with individual instruments and voices more clearly defined, and bass was both faster and tighter. Now in the system for some weeks, the effect may have increased (my satisfaction has) but I have no way to be sure. The magnitude and speed of improvement were unusual for what seems to be, essentially, the addition of a small filter; I would compare it to a very satisfactory power cord or interconnect upgrade. I did not have to debate with myself to keep the isolator: well worth the cost; not going back.

There were two metres of the unshielded Cat6e ethernet cable between the WRouter and the VDAC, a lovely sounding cable with a beautiful top end, especially. The isolator’s effect was so profound I decided to try a 2m Nordost Heimdall 2 ethernet cable between the router and DAC. I had this between the units before I tried the Cat6e and preferred the latter, as the Nordost, though detailed, was by comparison somehow more “veiled”. However, this time I preferred the Nordost cable; the sound was just as airy and spacious as with the Cat6e but with more “substance” to and definition of instruments and voices. I have no idea why, but going back and forth removed any doubts, so the Nordost stayed in.

I then purchased an external version of the isolator and have on order another one of those as well as a second internal one, for the WCore; there is no room in the WRouter for an internal isolator. I first placed the external isolator between the Technicolor Gateway and the WRouter. Together with VDAC internal isolator, the effect was perhaps not doubled, but again far from subtle, not something to “listen for” and, once more, immediate. The result was more of the improvements described above. I was quite surprised: the system sounded more immediate and live in every respect. The isolator comes with a short length of flat Cat7 cable that links the isolator to the downstream device. I used that cable initially and the improvements I described above were with that cable – it is the same cable used on both sides of the internal version of the isolator. Because of the experience I had with the VDAC and the Nordost cable, I tried a spare 1m Heimdall instead of the supplied cable. Again, I preferred the Nordost for the same reasons as I described relative to the differences between it and the Cat6e. I kind of wish I had a very short length of the Nordost…

I took the isolator out from between the Gateway and the WRouter and tried it between the WCore and Wrouter, as before in combination with the internal in the VDAC. The result was better than with just the one in the VDAC alone, but less improvement than with the external isolator between the Gateway and the WRouter. Because the isolator’s effect was more pronounced with the Nordost cable between the WRouter and the VDAC, I decided to remove the Cat6e from between the WCore and the WRouter and replace it with the Nordost. Once again, the isolator’s effect was greater with the Nordost.

Each isolator made a difference, and the effects are cumulative with each addition of an isolator. Putting the internal one into the VDAC made a great difference. Adding one between the Gateway and WRouter provided another excellent improvement. As noted, between the WRouter and the WCore there was still improvement, but not to the degree made with the other placements. Changes are immediate and at least as obvious as any interconnect up-grade or power cord upgrade I’ve done in the system. My results in the main system are with an all Waversa digital chain. It might be different with devices from other manufacturers. Supporting this conjecture are the results I obtained by trying the external isolator between the Gateway and the Apple TV 4K in my TV system. I netted sonic improvements to surround sound similar to those with two channel system, and a surprise improvement to video – again, immediate, and not something needing to be looked for: somewhat “smoother” picture with more detail, and fewer “artefacts”, e.g., less jagged distortion on complex patterns. I need to try the isolator between the WRouter and the Oppo, too.

There is also a professionally translated Korean HiFi Club review of the isolator available, and I think Kevalin has posted it somewhere here. As with the WLPS H/P, I read this review after having performed my experiments, but the changes the author describes are essentially the same as those I’ve heard and support my supposition that the LAN isolator will work well with gear not made by Waversa. There is also discussion in the review of how the isolator works, but the reviewer admits it is speculation only. He points out that the Waversa LAN isolator is subject to patent protection - and Waversa is not giving away any secrets.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Preliminary – A while ago I was able to upgrade my Technicolor Gateway to the latest version powered by an external wall-wart switching supply and having two more ethernet ports.
May I ask which Technicolor Gateway do you have, I got the Technicolor CGA6444VF from my ISP.
Thanks

pilgerman

Jun 13, 2010
Hi, sorry to be slow replying. I have the Technicolor Gateway CGM4331SHW, also from my ISP (I think the last three letters refer to the provider, Shaw, in this case).

Reactions: matthias

barbz127

Jun 4, 2022
Are there any current owners of the smarthub 3.0 and could share any thoughts on this as a switch?

Thankyou

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing