Welcome Bernice of Spectral Audio

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I got a nice and unexpected ping from Bernice from the Spectral design team last night, and this is great news for all Spectral fans as I hope we should be able to get some insightful answers on our product questions, within the limits of what they can actually disclose:

Keith and I spent a lot of time voicing and working out the sonics of this version of the DMA360. I'm new to this forum and the audio community in general even if Keith and I have been designing Spectral stuff for many years now.

I'm a more than a bit conflicted as to what I can discuss, but know that there are limits to what I can share about Spectral in general. With that in mind, I'm sure there are many questions that I might be able to answer within limits.

So let me start by throwing my nagging questions...

1. What happened to products like the DMC-25 and SDR-5000?
  2. What are the benefits of fast amplification designs and what are the difficulties in managing such designs?
  3. What role does negative feedback play in these designs?
  4. What exactly is in those Spectral/MIT cables? The missing input and output filters?
  5. Why do we need filters _there_ - to optimize for the length purchased?
  6. Since those MIT/Spectral cables are no longer manufactured, what should potential buyers be buying?
  7. What can we expect from Spectral in the next few years?

Feel free to throw in your own questions. Attached, is a picture of a DMA-260 prototype they also sent me.

dma260proto320201&#48.jpg

PS: I continue to find the DMA-360 Series 2's shockingly realistic with every piece of music I've been playing the last 9 months. Pure and utter emotion!

Last edited:

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Does anyone know if Spectral has any plans for developing a phono stage? It seems with vinyl persisting there would be demand from Spectral customers.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I was told the DMC-25 that was previewed long ago remains an R&D product for unspecified reasons. So at least there is still hope.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Oh my, you've got my attention!! I was at CES but I don't remember seeing a Spectral room. Hmmmm. No matter. The DM-400 is now officially the hottest rumor in high end audio if the last post is true. Someone have mercy and tell us more, please!

jfkbike

Jan 13, 2011
Florida
I have been told by dealers that "perhaps" they will be doing a phono section. I think from what I have been told that the a DAC may be the first new thing. All I need is a DAC and Phono from Spectral and I would be done... expect for the upgrading!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing