What’s the world’s best 2 watt amplifier?

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
Reactions: je2a3 and christoph

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
You could also run it in ultralinear mode. If the tap is placed properly, the linearity will be as good as any triode.

Normally the taps on a UL OPT are not placed properly. When the original patent was granted back in the 50s, everyone saw the obvious advantage. To get around the patent, others started producing UL OPTs that had the taps slightly off. They were not as linear but still offered an advantage over pentode operation, especially if feedback was used. It became tradition to place the taps incorrectly and that is still common today, despite the original patent being long expired.

Reactions: cal3713 and Solypsa

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
Old thread that I had to post a photo to. Here is a $20K DAC feeding a $1K amp and sounding spectacular.
20231224_080038.jpg Closer view:
20231224_080056.jpg
Excuse the lack of Cable Management. This little amp has been filling in for several months while a custom AD1 amp is being built. I have sold off many amps that cost many times what the little Decware Zen amp cost but it kicks their butts bad. At 2.3 wpc it just shines bright. This design was what made Steve Deckert famous and he says he tries to make all his other amps sound like this one. So I've been waiting 6 months and really can't complain. If Biden outlawed class A amps and I had to stick with this one for the rest of my life I'd be happy. No, it doesn't hold the big DHT DAC back at all, but shows it off big time. You can see the Chord DAVE below it that fed the Decware before. It will be vacating to clear to top row for the new amp, which has 3 chasses. I had to have a bigger rack made. The new amp is a bit over 4 wpc.

Jerry

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
Old thread that I had to post a photo to. Here is a $20K DAC feeding a $1K amp and sounding spectacular.
View attachment 122245 Closer view:
View attachment 122246
Excuse the lack of Cable Management. This little amp has been filling in for several months while a custom AD1 amp is being built. I have sold off many amps that cost many times what the little Decware Zen amp cost but it kicks their butts bad. At 2.3 wpc it just shines bright. This design was what made Steve Deckert famous and he says he tries to make all his other amps sound like this one. So I've been waiting 6 months and really can't complain. If Biden outlawed class A amps and I had to stick with this one for the rest of my life I'd be happy. No, it doesn't hold the big DHT DAC back at all, but shows it off big time. You can see the Chord DAVE below it that fed the Decware before. It will be vacating to clear to top row for the new amp, which has 3 chasses. I had to have a bigger rack made. The new amp is a bit over 4 wpc.

Jerry
So what will the new amp be? Other than big!

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
View attachment 122246

Jerry
Nice that you so happy with it!
I am a bit confused though as it looks like it’s driving speakers which cannot be very efficient? You would need >105dB to reach reference levels with a 2W amp…

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
Nice that you so happy with it!
I am a bit confused though as it looks like it’s driving speakers which cannot be very efficient? You would need >105dB to reach reference levels with a 2W amp…
In order to reach 108dB? That’s really loud!

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I think he is referring to having 20+ db headroom at ~83-85 db average listening levels...

Reactions: acousticsguru

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I may be off topic but my favorite low wattage SET amplifier is from Destination Audio in Poland. They are mono blocks and use the 45 tube. I have heard them powering DA's Vista horns (102 db) and they are very special indeed.

mono+45+redid (1).jpg

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I think he is referring to having 20+ db headroom at ~83-85 db average listening levels...
Yes, exactly.
105dB peaks is actually common in a live performance. I was at a classical concert in a church yesterday, and the orchestra hit a peak of 107dB, and that was not even a ‘loud’ performance.
Yes, 105dB is loud, but you may be surprised how often this is reached in a live classical concert, let alone a rock concert.
Art Dudley once measured 107dB seated in the 10th(?) row at a classical concert.
This is why you need a LOT of power if your speakers are not super sensitive — assuming playback at the same levels as live music is important to you. But then you may lose other positive attributes, so it’s often a trade off.
Oh and the average level was in the ~80-85dB range. So 20dB headroom for peaks is relevant in the real world.

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
High River, Alberta Canada
View attachment 122246

Jerry
The Zen Triode is impressive. A giant killer for sure! Obviously they require the appropriate speakers.

I am interested to hear what you are replacing it with too.

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
My speakers are >96dB/watt and the amp is able to extend quite a bit. From my listening chair in the sweet spot, I don't have to turn it up much. I consider it a measure of the quality of sound system how quietly it can be played and still sound excellent. So I probably listen at less volume than most of you.

But I drive this amp with my HT reciever when watching movies at theatre levels and the amp keeps up.

The room is pretty small and I have 3 sets of floorstanders surrounding the listening position.

I think the 20dB of headroom is probably a topic of debate between tube guys and ss guys.

The new amp is a prototype bespoke amp from a startup I'm involved in. The electronics have been complete for some time and it is spectacular but cosmetic details are taking longer than we thought and can't be ignored on an amp in this price range. Details and availability likely in 2024.

Jerry

Edit to add PS: I was as surprised as many of you how it performed. I bought it because it was available locally and I was curious and had the cash in my wallet.

PPS Please don't think I'm proposing this as a candidate for best 2 watt amp. I post it more as a surprise and enjoy the incogruity of the big DAC beside the tiny amp.

Last edited:
Reactions: cal3713 and AudioHR

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Yes, exactly.
105dB peaks is actually common in a live performance. I was at a classical concert in a church yesterday, and the orchestra hit a peak of 107dB, and that was not even a ‘loud’ performance.
Yes, 105dB is loud, but you may be surprised how often this is reached in a live classical concert, let alone a rock concert.
Art Dudley once measured 107dB seated in the 10th(?) row at a classical concert.
This is why you need a LOT of power if your speakers are not super sensitive — assuming playback at the same levels as live music is important to you. But then you may lose other positive attributes, so it’s often a trade off.
Oh and the average level was in the ~80-85dB range. So 20dB headroom for peaks is relevant in the real world.
Needless to say, you should *never* attempt to reproduce live concert levels in a listening room for various reasons. Primarily you want to hang on to your hearing. Once you are deaf, you can kiss your audio equipment goodbye! I’ve been listening to high end audio for 35+ years. One reason my hearing remains in excellent condition is I keep a tight control on the maximum volume. I never let average listening levels at my listening position exceed 75 dB. I find that plenty loud given that short term peaks can go 10-20 dB higher.

The other reason is that what sounds natural in a large concert hall can sound terrible in a tiny (by comparison) listening room. Playing loud music just exacerbates the resonances in your listening room. To me loud music in a listening room sounds grotesque. You can never never never reproduce concert level bass dynamics in a tiny listening room even if you spent a billion dollars on your hifi. A 20 Hz bass note has a wavelength of 60 feet! Easy to get that correctly reproduced in a concert hall that is hundreds of feet long. In a listening room? Ha! Pay attention to physics. It can save you a lot of time and money. See chart below.

1703447976750.jpeg

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
High River, Alberta Canada
My speakers are >96dB/watt and the amp is able to extend quite a bit. From my listening chair in the sweet spot, I don't have to turn it up much. I consider it a measure of the quality of sound system how quietly it can be played and still sound excellent. So I probably listen at less volume than most of you.

But I drive this amp with my HT reciever when watching movies at theatre levels and the amp keeps up.

The room is pretty small and I have 3 sets of floorstanders surrounding the listening position.

I think the 20dB of headroom is probably a topic of debate between tube guys and ss guys.

The new amp is a prototype bespoke amp from a startup I'm involved in. The electronics have been complete for some time and it is spectacular but cosmetic details are taking longer than we thought and can't be ignored on an amp in this price range. Details and availability likely in 2024.

Jerry

Edit to add PS: I was as surprised as many of you how it performed. I bought it because it was available locally and I was curious and had the cash in my wallet.

PPS Please don't think I'm proposing this as a candidate for best 2 watt amp. I post it more as a surprise and enjoy the incogruity of the big DAC beside the tiny amp.
How a particular speaker reacts to amplification is not just about the speaker's efficiency specs so it's always good to actually hear how things sound together. Still a 2w amp should be at its best with a higher efficiency speaker.

Honestly I haven't heard many 2w amps so I have no idea if the Zen Triode is the best of its breed. Having heard it against other SET amps I suspect it has nothing to apologize for. It sounds great!

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I never let average listening levels at my listening position exceed 75 dB.
Always good to play it safe. That said 85dbspl, both speakers driven, C weighted, at listening position, with 20db headroom, is a pro calibration standard.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing