What are the advantages/disadvantages of different amp topologies?

Off-topic, but apart from the difficulty of designing crossovers and if possible time-align multiple drivers there's the minimum listening distance that follows directly from the surface / center-to-center distance of the most distant drivers (and even that only holds true if the drivers play in time and in phase).

Greetings from Switzerland, David.
With 5 or 6 horns I think the only way to truly time-align would be with DSP...analog lovers don't really like that idea.

Reactions: acousticsguru
What Romy has is drivers designed to play in their strength bandwidth and amps that drive each and the amp is also designed for that bandwidth. Given he is such a high profile horn personality, how many visitors to his place have a gushing review online? Even the polite one for a host?

Goto was a narrow bandwidth driver and many tried to design 5 way GOTO horns. How many have been successful in designing a complete GOTO horn? Ralph has been trying multiway horns forever. He uses good quality components too. Just doesn't get them to align. Oh well.

With 5 or 6 horns I think the only way to truly time-align would be with DSP...analog lovers don't really like that idea.
Or a huge room and enough distance as those ginormous 5-7-way horns in Munich? Those showed remarkable integration despite old-fashioned horn coloration, I was so impressed I had a chat with the only about 25-old designer. Enjoy the lucky ones who’ve got that much space at home…

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

WBF is going to be like ASR forum.
Insulting from rude people is common in ASR forum but now it is going to be common here.

The reason of insulting is just ignorance.

Last edited:
There are several factors that should be taken into account when choosing a set amp. Yes, the OPT is a big factor, but the power supply has just as much influence. E.g. the last capacitor (CLC) of the filtering has an extreme influence on the sound. By the way, this capacitor should be the main grounding point (stargrounding) of the amp circuit and it has proven successful for me. Please use high quality there, you will be rewarded as promised. the OPT should be generously dimensioned an example. Good power transformer, choke filter ,oil caps and a good OPT are a good path to success.
300b/2a3 opt
View attachment 124523
In the search for realness in sound amplification, what make/type filtering capacitor do you use at the (star) grounding point? What make of transformer do you prefer (Peerless, Tango, Magnaquest) or do you wind your own? Is it better to use C-core (potted or not) or toroidal or depends? Does 99.999 pure silver hookup wire sound more real than 99.999 pure copper or even tinned copper? Oil and silk insulated , PVC or teflon?

I am hopeful of learning from you all, the best out there, which design topology (and specific component details) will give me the greatest musical enjoyment if what I want is to replace my Ayon with an amplifier that, in combination with my Altec speakers, will get me closest to live that I can get.

Last edited:
Reactions: acousticsguru
if you believe the SET DHT is the way to go then you will find a SET is a bandwidth and load limited device.

Romy think the solution for SET is multi amping and using 5way horn speakers.

Check the distortion of SET when using big dynamic driver speakers.

Reactions: Atmasphere
not bad showing my 1 million dollar system if someone think I just google and I have no experience:

IMG_7838.jpeg

Reactions: Panas
The reason of insulting is just ignorance.

I read Roman's rules in the link you posted.

His "audio rules" are merely personal, subjective sonic preferences codified as dogma and promoted as objectively correct. It's just a list of his personal system preferences: SETs on multi-driver horns.

Roman doesn't like analog tape, 9" tonearms, high-resolution digital, ported loudspeakers, dipole loudspeakers, non-paper drivers, second order or third order cross-overs or ultrasonic record cleaning machines. It's a pretty cranky list.

Last edited:
Is there any DSP in 5way Living Voice horn?

I see no DSP in Romy the Cat 5 way (6way with tannoy injection channel) system.

DSET concept
No the LV speaker, which I love the sound of, does not use DSP…it is also not time aligned to the best of my knowledge. The horns in that design are small enough to allow reasonable placement so the disparity in propagation isn’t so bad. I think the midbass in that design is also backloaded so the mids are easier to align with the upper mid horn. Add to that Kevin Scott spent about 30 years working on that design, which started as the Air Partner

Just when most were in agreement that a directly-heated Class A Single Ended Triode amplifier (or triode/mosfet hybrid ) without feedback, with star grounding and appropriately sized and constructed transformers, playing into efficient two-way or three-way speakers, will result in the most realistic sound reproduction of all the possible amp topologies, you confuse the thread with your engineer speak.
What size and design do you consider the output transformer to be good?
Do you pay attention to the technical characteristics of these devices?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing