What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
Robert Schumann: Piano Sonata No. 3 in F minor, Op. 14b
Eric Le Sage, piano

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
Overtures to Bach
Matt Haimovitz

Preludes from the Bach cello suites preceded by contemporary introductory "overtures" composed for each suite. All overtures were commissioned for this album. The 5th overture is in scordatura B-G-D-G, i.e. C?B has been added to the original C-G-D-G. The 6th overture is written for and performed on violoncello piccolo, exactly the same as the correspondiong Bach suite.

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
Guided by Voices
Elinor Frey, Mélisande McNabney

Autographed CD. Contemporary pieces for cello/violoncello piccolo. One is duo with harpsichord, the rest are solo. Everything here was commissioned for the project.

Last edited:

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
Haydn: Symphonies No. 30 ‘Alleluja’, No. 31 ‘Hornsignal’, No. 32, No. 33
Philharmonia Hungarica, Antal Dorati

Long live the Hornsignal!

... Interestingly, here's a quote by H. C. Robbins Landon:
[...] there is something peculiarly poignant about this ‘Hornsignal’ Symphony, whose perfect construction and gay, light-hearted language, as yet untroubled with the ominous accents of Sturm and Drang, represent in some indefinable way Haydn's farewell to youth; for in the next decades he was never quite able to recapture the deep-seated joy and innocence of this music.

Reactions: Manesp

Manesp

Oct 25, 2018
Haydn: Symphonies No. 30 ‘Alleluja’, No. 31 ‘Hornsignal’, No. 32, No. 33
Philharmonia Hungarica, Antal Dorati

... Interestingly, here's a quote by H. C. Robbins Landon:

A solid scholar of Haydn...for ...sure.

Landon was also a true professional who devoted his life's work to the study of another true professional: Franz Joseph Haydn.

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
P?teris Vasks: Presence
Sol Gabetta, Irène Timacheff-Gabetta, Amsterdam Sinfonietta, Candida Thompson

Cross section of Vasks' works for cello, including solo, with organ and cello concerto. Both solo and concerto include sections with the cellist singing while playing the instrument. The cello concerto was commissioned for this project.

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
Roberto Valentini: Complete Mandolin Sonatas
Anna Schivazappa, Fabio Antonio Falcone, Ronald Martin, Daniel de Morais

6 sonatas from Valentini's Op. 12. 3 divertimenti from Pietro Giuseppe Gaetano Bani's Op. 2 are thrown in as filler.

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
Leopold Mozart: Symphonies
London Mozart Players, Matthias Bamert

From Chandos' Contemporaries of Mozart series.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
I'm alive and well! I found that posting in too many groups can be time-consuming, so I've been reducing my online time. Anyway, this is quite an enjoyable recording:

Reactions: accwai and asiufy

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
The Melodiya pressing of this sounds better than both the eterna and the Philips. All all inexpensive. Despite being the same performance the emotion etc is more in the Melodiya.

Thanks Ked. Will check it out. I am only a novice with Peter Schreier but liking his voice a lot.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks Ked. Will check it out. I am only a novice with Peter Schreier but liking his voice a lot.

I tried to get Tang to listen to this but he said he does not like vocals in non English or non Thai language so sticks to instruments.

andolink

Jul 28, 2016

Reactions: accwai

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing